Anyone else enjoying Flylady? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on day 7 of beginner babysteps, and my house hasn't ever been this clean. I think I'm in .

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#2 of 51 Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM

I like flylady a lot, too. I just ignore the Christian overtones, though, as I'm an atheist. But it rocks for getting and keeping the house clean, that's for sure!
#3 of 51 Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM

I've used her off and on for years, though I've never yet stuck to it fully. However a lot of her ideas and methods have rubbed off ... her "flywashing" does have an effect.
The most helpful thing of all for me was the change in attitude. I really did go from resenting all the housework to seeing it as blessing my home and my family. Even if I gained nothing more from her than that, it was worth it.
Also, I don't get as overwhelmed by the house as I used to, when life does intrude... sickness, extra busy times, traumas and dramas etc. The fact that I know I can always go back to the Flylady system helps me cope much better when life throws me a wobbly ball .
I've always been fairly organized and un-cluttered, so probably use her more for inspiration and discipline. But for anyone who simply doesn't know where to start, she seems to be a real life-saver.
#4 of 51 Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really like flylady too. I don't follow her stuff exactly, and I think it's important to recognize that even she says that you don't need to follow her stuff exactly.

But I really to go back and read her site for inspiration.

I'm super sensetive to the religious stuff, and I don't find her too bad.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 51 Old 05-09-2008, 01:41 PM

I love the Flylady! She's such a giving, loving person. Listen to her blog talk radio sometime, her voice will just make you wish she could right there to give you a hug.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#6 of 51 Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Okay, you've convinced me. I'm going to go and look up flylady on the internet. Gotta stop living in this mess somehow.
#7 of 51 Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Flylady was the only thing that worked for me. I just could not get started decluttering before I started with FL. My house is FAR from where I want it, but so so so much better than before. The biggest thing I've learned from her is, "Housework worth doing is worth doing half-assed" or something like that, I'm sure she doesn't say "half-assed" but that's how I remember it Used to be, if I didn't have time to spend an hour mopping the floor, I wouldnt' do it. Now, I mop quickly, get it pretty clean, and move on. Our floor is cleaner and I'm happier. Win win situation.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#8 of 51 Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 AM

I think flylady's great as long as you dont stick to it 100% and just get the general idea of what she is trying to instill in people - she's a little strict for me lol
#9 of 51 Old 05-11-2008, 01:48 AM

it's helped me in a different way. I tended to be a perfectionist (not that you would notice now). If I couldn't do something perfect I wouldn't attempt. Well, that builds up to alot of mess! I have learned that you just clean anyway. With water and a rag...dust with a duster. do your best in 15 minutes.

Now, if I notice the shower is dirty. Instead of going to the washroom and getting out the scrubber and the borax. I just grab a rag and the spray vinegar and go at it. ( I keep them under the bathroom sink)

Today I cleaned the church bathrooms with two rags and a bottle of windex. I used it for the sinks, the toilets, then cleaned the floor. No lugging a bucket of water, or toting "extra's". It came out sparkling and in 10 minutes!

I use to clean my kitchen floor on my hands and knees. NOw I have a spray bottle of water and a swiffer. It actually stays cleaner longer. If I clean with a cleaner the bottom of my socks that week are "black". when I just use water there is no soap residue, my socks stay reasonable, maybe a little bit brown.

My kids bathroom. I clean while they take a bath. with water. I use a hand towel and wipe the sink. If it's really bad. The vinegar spray bottle. But most times I just wipe with the handtowel. Wipe the shower as they leave and wipe the floor on the way out. Change hand towel. EAsy.

Sorry to go on. But Flylady has helped me. It's getting the job done!
#10 of 51 Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 AM

I love her! My mom (who's a BO) was amazed at the difference it made in our home and now rec's FL to others, which is pretty funny to me. After all the rave reviews about Motivated Moms i ordered it, and I like it, but FL is just soooo easy---like right now, we have a newborn (yay!!) so I've been kind of lax, but so what? I'll just jump in when I feel like up to it. MM makes me feel a little guilty--I just never got it all accomplished and I hated seeing those empty unchecked boxes.

Sometimes I go to the FL website to read just for a boost. I'm going to try to listen to her radio blog--thanks for the suggestion!
#11 of 51 Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
MM makes me feel a little guilty--I just never got it all accomplished and I hated seeing those empty unchecked boxes.
I started motivated moms in Jan. and feel the same way

I think I might check out fly lady as well
#12 of 51 Old 05-11-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

It's so helpful to have all the mini-routines... for me at any rate. I'm a perfectionist too, and it's so hard to clean when you are trying to talk yourself out of it. "I just cleaned the bathroom yesterday, it took forever, I shouldn't touch it for awhile." You know?
This way I give it a quick swipe everyday, and my house stays clean... it's nice.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#13 of 51 Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
I've used her off and on for years, though I've never yet stuck to it fully. However a lot of her ideas and methods have rubbed off ... her "flywashing" does have an effect.
The most helpful thing of all for me was the change in attitude. I really did go from resenting all the housework to seeing it as blessing my home and my family. Even if I gained nothing more from her than that, it was worth it.
Also, I don't get as overwhelmed by the house as I used to, when life does intrude... sickness, extra busy times, traumas and dramas etc. The fact that I know I can always go back to the Flylady system helps me cope much better when life throws me a wobbly ball .
I've always been fairly organized and un-cluttered, so probably use her more for inspiration and discipline. But for anyone who simply doesn't know where to start, she seems to be a real life-saver.
:
#14 of 51 Old 05-12-2008, 02:24 AM

Wonderful suggestions. Thank you so much. There's hope.
#15 of 51 Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM

I do find it a bit too something - i'm not sure if it's Christianity or new-ageyness disguising Christianity, and the page is better now but is as cluttered as the PRE version of the homes she's trying to help. I find it helpful to go to her "daily reminders" and just leave them up at the computer. I take what I can and if all i get to is "put a load of clothes in the wash" , i can a least figure out which direction to start my day.
#16 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
The biggest thing I've learned from her is, "Housework worth doing is worth doing half-assed" or something like that, I'm sure she doesn't say "half-assed" but that's how I remember it Used to be, if I didn't have time to spend an hour mopping the floor, I wouldnt' do it. Now, I mop quickly, get it pretty clean, and move on. Our floor is cleaner and I'm happier. Win win situation.
I think her saying is, "Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family." Which means the same thing!

I know exactly what you mean. I used to not clean because I didn't "have time", thinking it would take a huge chunk of time to do it right. But it's so true that half-assed cleaning really is good enough. Hey, it's better than nothing!
#17 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
"Housework worth doing is worth doing half-assed" or something like that, I'm sure she doesn't say "half-assed" but that's how I remember it
"If it is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly."

Your quote made me laugh because that is EXACTLY my favorite flylady quote too.

And for the same exact reason, I hate mopping the floor.

I always used to strip the old floor wax with ammonia...on my hands and knees...wait for that to dry. Rinse the floor. Wait for that to dry. Then apply a new coat of floor wax. Wait for that to dry...it took two hours to mop my floor.

But after flylady, I just bend over every now and then and wipe the floor with a wet washcloth.

My floor is 400 times cleaner than it was before.

#18 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM

I've been trying to fly for years but I'm finally getting it. I have litterally gotten rid of tons of stuff/junk/clutter. During the 1 month challenge earlier this year, I got rid of over a ton of clutter : . I am finally seeing that keeping things clean(ish) saves tons of time in the long run. I don't have a control journal or routines down pat, but I'm working on building routines. I don't think a control journal would work for me. We're a very much unschooling family where everything goes, which is why it's taking so long to get on track.

Some mornings I wake up and don't know what to do with myself :. It's not that the house is perfectly clean but I don't waste my days worrying about how messy things are, which is so stupid!! I'm not worried about people dropping by, especially if they have to go to the bathroom (since the bathrooms and bedrooms are now in pretty good shape). I'm on top of laundry and that in itself is a miracle.

I could go on and on but I agree, take what works and just do it!
#19 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM

i love flylady. it works when i do it

#20 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 10:40 PM

I did flylady for awhile. I do still remember and use some of her ideas, like you can do anything for 15 minutes. I like the idea of the home blessing hour and need to get back to that rather than being resentful.

I think I may join again and get the daily digest and do Kelly's missions. It would be a ton more than I do now.

I'm totally a perfectionist though and have a habit of "oh since I don't have time to do it 'right' I won't do it until I have time." Before you know it, I'm overwhelmed with clutter and mess.

I'm so good at planning and making cleaning routines and schedules, but not so good at the follow through.
#21 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Alright, you guys inspired me. I rejoined Flylady and signed up for the daily digest. I'm going to go sit down with dh tonight, but tomorrow I will start. And I will try very hard to "jump in where I am" and not get overwhelmed and try to do it all at once.
#22 of 51 Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks for reminding me...I need to check her out again!
#23 of 51 Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 AM

You can even just go on her site to check things out and she has a toolbar now which apparantly has the daily things on it (I don't have it but may get it as it donates money to charity when you use the search engine)
#24 of 51 Old 08-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there a specific FlyLady support group on here? like a tribe??

I used her for a while and just felt too much with 2 little boys in the house. Now I have 2 in school and a 2 year old and newborn at home. The 2 year old loves the help and clean, so I may be able to get back on again...
#25 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post
Is there a specific FlyLady support group on here? like a tribe??

I used her for a while and just felt too much with 2 little boys in the house. Now I have 2 in school and a 2 year old and newborn at home. The 2 year old loves the help and clean, so I may be able to get back on again...
Apparently not. I just did a search in Tribal Areas and didn't find one. FLYlady has her own messageboard now, FYI.
#26 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 AM

I like her ideas too! I dont' follow her exact plan, but I have picked up several of her ideas. I have a daily cleaning "routine" that I try to follow and my house stays much tidier than it used to! I've been doing it for a couple years now I guess.

It has reduced a lot of stress for me.
#27 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 AM

I Flylady! I hesitate to say how much she's helped in several areas of my life, because I start sounding like a cult member. But honestly, in addition to my house, the system has also helped with my weight and finances. Plus, I feel like a better mom.

I certainly don't do it perfectly, but my favorite parts are:

Wearing shoes really does make me more productive
Swish & swipe in the bathrooms
1 load of laundry per day
You can't organize clutter - you can only get rid of it.
You can do anything for 15 minutes - I use this all the time to power through unpleasant tasks at work.
"Housework done incorrectly still blesses my family," although I really loved the PP's "half-assed" phrasing.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#28 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 PM

I am the kind of person that the flylady systems are designed for. I get into messes because I'm a perfectionist and don't have time to do anything properly . Also, I have a lot of trouble starting and sticking to routines. Finally, I have some unhelpful attitudes about housework (bitter at family about the amount of mess, lack of help). I am not following the flylady system totally, but I'm gradually starting to incorporate some of her ideas and strategies and they are helping a lot . Flylady's cultural background is very different from mine even though we are both north americans, but I find that she is sharing some concepts that are relevant to many mothers' lives.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#29 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 PM

Lots of good posts here. I'm going to check her out. sign up or something, as I am in a rut. My house/life/weight all seem to get out of balance at the same time.
#30 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM

The flylady podcasts have really helped me to understand the flylady philosophy.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page