Talk to me about cleaning the bathroom - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use Vermont Soaps Liquid Sunshine for cleaning almost everything. I love the smell and it is organic! It is great for wood floors, toilets, tubs and more. I use it on a scrubbie for the tub, put it in a spray bottle for the toilet, etc. Sometimes I use Ecovers toilet bowl cleaner for the toilet- we have 3 boys here and , well, you know how that goes. My 6 YO likes to clean the toilet- and it is nice that he can safely do this with the VT soap spray and a rag.
#32 of 39 Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM

I stagger my bathroom cleaning - do the toilet and sink when the toilet looks like it needs it, the bathtub before DD has a bath because I can't stand to put her in an even slightly dirty bathtub, and then do the floor and counter when I feel like it. I never do the whole thing at once - I figured out pretty early on that I didn't need that kind of pressure. Except sometimes if someone I really want to impress comes over, or if we have a party - although last time I did that nobody actually used the bathroom, and I was so pissed off.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#33 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 AM

So what ratio of vinegar and water do you put in a spray bottle? I did this recently and maybe I used too much water, it didn't seem quite right. How about on the floor?

I like the idea of scenting w/peppermint, wendinbill. Do you just use peppermint extract?

I also feel like I need to use so much baking soda on the tub. How much do you use? Do you sprinkle it in the tub before cleaning, or apply it to your scrubber?
#34 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Well now I feel horrible, I clean the bathroom when the shower gets mildewy!

Off to hire Merry Maids...

Single mom of 2 boys
#35 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM

OK, I paid attention when cleaning our bathrooms this weekend so I could come back and post here. This is what I did for a "deep clean," but all of the non-bolded steps are the same as a "normal" clean, which I try to do weekly (but honestly, more like every two weeks).

Step 1: Fill the bathtub up with hot water and a couple of good slugs of bleach, let sit for 1/2 hour, then drain.

Step 2: Put the towels and bath mat in the wash machine.

Step 3: Spray down the shower walls (tile) with vinegar and water solution.

Step 4: Sprinkle some Bon Ami in the toilet.

Step 5: Vacuum the dog and cat hair off the floor with the hand vacuum.

Step 6: Scrub down the shower walls and bathtub with a sponge, then rinse with removable shower head. Consider trying to clean the grout and decide not to. After the tub is clean and rinsed, close it off with the shower curtain.

Step 7: Remove everything from the glass shelves, spray them with vinegar water (1:3 ratio), wipe them with a rag. Put everything back on them in a more orderly manner.

Step 8: Spray down the mirror with the same vinegar solution and wipe with the same rag.

Step 9: Spray down the sink and counter with the same vinegar solution, wipe with the same rag.

Step 10: Clean the toilet with the toilet brush.

Step 11: Clean the outside of the toilet, all the way to the floor, with the vinegar solution and the rag from the glass.

Step 12: Using a second rag and the vinegar solution, clean the floor and baseboards.

Step 13: Remove the towels and bath mat from the wash machine and hang them to try.

Step 14: Put clean and dry towels and mat back in the bathroom.
#36 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM

I used to clean my bathroom while DS was in the bath tub every night (when he was a toddler) -- however now that he is a teenager I dont think he would appreciate it
#37 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decluttering Nut View Post
I used to clean my bathroom while DS was in the bath tub every night (when he was a toddler) -- however now that he is a teenager I dont think he would appreciate it
Ooo, good idea! Why didn't that occur to me earlier??? I sit on the toilet and try to look interested while DD plays until the water gets cold... I could use that time productively. (um, I should point out that my DD is NOT a teenager, I should get a couple years of this tactic in.)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#38 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

We have two bathrooms and every time I clean them I start wishing we'd bought a house with only one.

Every day I wipe the sink, counter, and toilet with a rag and some vinegar and water (1:4 vinegar: water). I also just kind of spray some in the toilet and swish the toilet brush around in there if it looks like it needs it.

Every other week or so I do a more thorough cleaning - mirror, toilet, beat the rugs, sweep and mop (I use either baking soda and water or a commercial floor cleaner to mop). To clean the toilet bowl I like to pour some vinegar and bs in there and swish around.

I wipe down the shower in our downstairs bathroom after I shower (sometimes ). I hardly ever clean the tub upstairs because we don't use it that often.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#39 of 39 Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflanag2 View Post
So what ratio of vinegar and water do you put in a spray bottle? I did this recently and maybe I used too much water, it didn't seem quite right. How about on the floor?

I like the idea of scenting w/peppermint, wendinbill. Do you just use peppermint extract?

I also feel like I need to use so much baking soda on the tub. How much do you use? Do you sprinkle it in the tub before cleaning, or apply it to your scrubber?
I use 50/50 water/vinegar, with about 20 drops of pepperment essential oil. I've never used extract, I'm not sure it's the same? I keep an old coffee creamer bottle filled with baking soda (also scented with peppermint!) in the bathroom. I just sprinkle it in there-never measure. Then a squirt of Dr. Bronner's peppermint. I just use a washcloth, working on the tub. I spray the walls with the vinegar/water mix, and wipe them down with the same rag. Then rinse it all with hot water, and I leave my curtain open so it dries. HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page