Talk to me about cleaning the bathroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often do you do it? What products do you use? Tell me anything and everything about how you clean your bathroom. I need motivation and I never feel like i'm doing everything right.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM

For me, I've gotten into Flylady's "Swish and Swipe". While I'm in the bathroom getting dressed after I shower, I grab a bathroom cleaning cloth (they live under the sink) and spray it with Nature Clean Tub and Tile cleaner. Then I wipe down the sink and counter, tub and faucets, and every other day I do the toilet (with a rubber glove) too. It's really easy, and the bathroom never gets gross. It doesn't take long. (DS is generally in his exersaucer while I do it, and it's not long enough for him to get fussy)

I sweep and mop every now and then, when I'm doing the kitchen. (We live in a small house, so this isn't too hard for me.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM

i wipe down the sink and toilet during the kids' bath at night, and do the tub/shower right before i get in the shower in the morning. the sink/toilet most nights, the tub/shower every week . . . or two, gross, i know. i use diluted vinegar with essential oil for my wipe down, and then i use method cleaner maybe once a week. i keep everything in the bathroom so it takes minimal effort.

eta: i clean the floors when they're really nasty and/or we have people coming over. obviously, since i had to add this as an after-thought.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM

after I shower I wipe down the sink and toilet and whatever else looks yucky. Maybe not everytime, but most. Everything is all moist from the shower, so just a little spay of vinegar&water solution and a rag. It's so simple and keeps everything looking good. The key for me is to tie it to another habbit, so the shower thing is great.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i wipe down the sink and toilet during the kids' bath at night, and do the tub/shower right before i get in the shower in the morning. the sink/toilet most nights, the tub/shower every week . . . or two, gross, i know. i use diluted vinegar with essential oil for my wipe down, and then i use method cleaner maybe once a week. i keep everything in the bathroom so it takes minimal effort.

eta: i clean the floors when they're really nasty and/or we have people coming over. obviously, since i had to add this as an after-thought.
I'm curious as to what people use to clean the floors. I can't figure out the best method...i've tried those spray swiffer things and it just kind of pushes dirt around and leaves lines of dirt where i stop pushing...i don't really like how mops get so yucky, etc. Maybe i'm ocd but i just never feel like things are clean enough lol.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 PM

vin.water + rag + scrubing on hands and knees. I'm really convinced this is the only way to clean floors.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Bathroom floors:
I vacuum them or set our Roomba loose in them. I use a rag and hot water to wipe down the floor. No bucket or mop, too time-consuming, I just use the sink. Then again, our bathrooms are tiny and it takes about 5 minutes flat to clean the floor in each one.

We have good quality linoleum in our bathrooms and the installers told us to only use water with occasional use of white vinegar, so that's what we've done. Nearly 8 years later, the floors still look great!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM

I keep a bottle of spray cleaner under each bathroom sink and squirt and clean whenever I"m in there at it looks like it needs it. By keeping cleaner in each bath makes it more convenient, therefore, more likely to get done.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar forest View Post
vin.water + rag + scrubing on hands and knees. I'm really convinced this is the only way to clean floors.
:

This is the only way I can feel as though the floor is truly clean.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRose View Post
:

This is the only way I can feel as though the floor is truly clean.
I agree. I also vacuum mine before I do any sort of scrubbing so I can get all of the loose dirt up. All of our bathrooms are tile.

I clean our master bath every few days (2-3), the kids' every week or so (except around the base of the toilet where DS makes a mess) and the downstairs powder room every week or so.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM

yep, hands and knees with a rag. it makes me feel so cinderella.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM

I clean my bathrooms once a week or so (we have 2) I use 7 generation multipurpose cleaner on the counter, etc and on the shower I spray this soap scum remover and let it set 30 min or so (I spray right after I finish showering and wipe it/scrub it off after I am dressed and I dress my daughter.

I vacuum the floors and then I spray the same 7 generation cleanser and use a swifer.

GG
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Forgot to mention - We have glass shower doors in the master and DH and I squeegee them after every use. Keeps them beautiful!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have started to use the same tools (ordered from the author's web site) and approach as in Speed Cleaning, and I find that it gives fast and satisfying results .

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 AM

I use baking soda to scrub out the tub and sink every 2 weeks. I do this in the kitchen sink, too.

Another thing that I do is use a small piece of dampened toilet paper to 'dust' and get the hair off surfaces before spraying cleaner to clean.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflanag2 View Post
I use baking soda to scrub out the tub and sink every 2 weeks. I do this in the kitchen sink, too.

Another thing that I do is use a small piece of dampened toilet paper to 'dust' and get the hair off surfaces before spraying cleaner to clean.
Oh I do that, too, but we use cloth tp so it's getting washed and reused instead of tossed.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM

I use the product Kaboom, Magic Eraser, and then Clorox Wipes. I keep the clorox wipes to just wipe down the counters and toilet every few days (or when they get dirty!!). The Kaboom does wonders on the tub when combined with the Magic Eraser. It is great on soap scum.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar forest View Post
Old diapers make wonderful rags for this job. I use a clean diaper to wipe the surfaces down (tank on the toilet, shelf, sink, etc.) Then I move on to the dirtier stuff (base of toilet, sink front, floors). I still wash diapers every few days so I stuff them in with the diapers. I suspect in the future the diaper pail will become a rag pail.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Old diapers make wonderful rags for this job. I use a clean diaper to wipe the surfaces down (tank on the toilet, shelf, sink, etc.) Then I move on to the dirtier stuff (base of toilet, sink front, floors). I still wash diapers every few days so I stuff them in with the diapers. I suspect in the future the diaper pail will become a rag pail.
yup I do that too. Those prefolds were such a great investment - I'm still using 'em and I got them for my now 6.5yo!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM

I use diluted Charlie's Soap All-Purpose Cleaner with a little lavender and lemongrass EOs; Method glass cleaner; Earth Friendly toilet cleaner; some baking soda and castille soap; several microfiber cleaning cloths and one or two paper towels.

I try to deep clean the bathrooms weekly, but most of the time I skip a week or two.

I clean high to low, dry to wet. I put the toilet cleaner in to soak, wash the walls in the tub or shower, wipe down the switchplates and doorknobs, wash the sink counter, then the tub or shower (with a paste of baking soda and peppermint soap, yum!), then scrub the toilet bowl and wash the seat (using paper towel for the porcelain rim, which grosses me out a little), wipe the mirrors and wash the sink, and finally sweep then wash the floor (just cleaner and a cloth.)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 AM

baking soda and/or vinegar get most things pretty darned clean in the bathroom. about once a month I use a bit of barkeepers friend on the tub and toilet to get them really sparkling.

for floors I just use hot water and vinegar and scrub on hands and knees - it's a small room!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM

So I'm moving into a new (to me) house on saturday, and I was there last night cleaning and I had the coolest idea and it worked out so well.
There's a glass block window in the bathroom and the grout is dark and nasty-dirty. After trying a few thigns with very little success I made a thick paste of baking soda and water and smeared it on the grout with a toothbursh, and very lightly misted it with vin.water. I let that sit a while and when I came back I generously squirted vin.water ot it and scrubed like crazy on the grout. I sprayed again and let it sit for a few hours and then showered it off. It looks great! I'm so happy.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 PM

I vacuum all the the stray hair and dust off the sink, counter and tub before I clean. Then everything gets cleaned with vinegar and baking soda. The floor gets cleaned with vinegar and water and an old cloth diaper.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I have started to use the same tools (ordered from the author's web site) and approach as in Speed Cleaning, and I find that it gives fast and satisfying results .
I'm a big fan of Speed Cleaning as well, it made a huge difference in how I approach cleaning my house and has made me a lot more effective in way less time. I don't use their products but I do use the same tools/methods.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use Clorox's Green Works line of cleaners. I quickly clean the inside of the toilet 2-3 times a week, and I deep clean everything (toilet, tub, shower, sinks, vanity) once a week. I also clean out/straighten the bathroom cabinets & drawers on that same day.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM

I swish the toilets once a day when I happen to be in there, I wipe down our bathtub when I shower (and the other, less-used tub a few times a week or so), and I wipe the sinks once a day when I'm in there. Takes just a few seconds each, just plain water, and then it looks pretty good most of the time. I'll vacuum as needed when the vacuum is near the bathrooms anyway, and I'll mop as needed. I sometimes use one of those mops with the foam pad and sometimes I'll scrub on my hands and knees (does a better job, and our bathrooms are pretty small). Once a week, I'll wipe everything down with the Merlin's Magic recipe from Clean House, Clean Planet (water, Dr. Bronner's soap, and maybe some tea tree and/or or lavender oil); vinegar and water works well too, and that's what I use on mirrors. I have a specific day a week where I focus on the bathrooms, so that I know they're clean, and then the little touch-ups pretty much every day are really easy.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I use Clorox's Green Works line of cleaners. I quickly clean the inside of the toilet 2-3 times a week, and I deep clean everything (toilet, tub, shower, sinks, vanity) once a week. I also clean out/straighten the bathroom cabinets & drawers on that same day.
The clorox green line is not actually safe or "green" at all, btw. A friend of mine called to complain about their marketing as evironmentally friendly and safe when they are not such thing and they assured her that they were NOT marketing it that way. They "don't want to give people that impression; it would be misleading" ya think?! crazieness.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hmmmm...this thread makes me think that I should be cleaning my bathrooms more often.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i keep everything in the bathroom so it takes minimal effort.

at the eta comment.

And I agree with keeping seperate supplies in the bathroom, that definitely helps to keep it clean.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 AM

I have a bunch of homemade cleaners from the Clean House, Clean Planet book. I also love Merlin's Magic! I use the Baby Elephant scrub for my tub, which is getting very nasty often now that we're strictly using bar soap. : I spray the walls to the shower down with vinegar/water. I clean the toilet, sink, faucet, floors with vinegar/water. I keep all that in the bathroom-all peppermint scented. For the toilet I sprinkle in some baking soda, and then a squirt of Dr. Bronner's. Swish with the brush, wipe off the rim, seat, tank, etc. (not in that order!) It's never clean enough, though. I shed like a mofo.

User Tag List