Mothering Forum banner

Moving and decluttering

945 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  OkiMom 
#1 ·
DH and I are moving soon, so I am holding off on the decluttering til I am packing. I seem to toss more when I am shoving stuff in boxes.

Anyone else that way?

#3 ·
I would start decluttering now. it is Horrible to open boxes at the new place and think, "Why did I ever move this. . . again!"

It will save you money and time and heartache if you start now (and you can always through lots more away while you are packing
).

#4 ·
I am a practioner of the "do I need this? Nope."
*toss and move on to the next thing that needs to go in the box*

I am always suprised about how much trash gets generated when I move. And somehow, I make even more when I unpack.

#6 ·
I am moving this month and have been decluttering like CRAZY. Yesterday I got rid of 7 trash bags filled with clothes. And they all went to people who could really use them! I love that! You would not BELIEVE how much JUNK was in my storage closet outside on my balcony! *hangs head in shame*

#9 ·
i think we're moving very soon too. any other tips than getting started on decluttering now? we won't be moving to our own space, yet, just staying with family for now, and probably spending time living in different places in the world. i'd love to get rid of a lot of stuff, but i'm not sure where to begin. i may sell a lot of furniture with the apartment, if i can.

websites to recommend?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
DH and I are moving soon, so I am holding off on the decluttering til I am packing. I seem to toss more when I am shoving stuff in boxes.

Anyone else that way?
I wish I was that way...I started the first few days of packing that way (starting months early for the move mind you) only to end just throwing things in boxes to just get it done, telling myself I would declutter it while unpacking! That plan didn't go as well as it sounded in my head

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by superstella View Post
I'm in the midst of it too. We just found out we're moving at the end of Aug. or first of Sept., and I started decluttering like MAD! Doesn't hurt that we're moving into a much (MUCH) smaller space so the decluttering needs to be done.

We are in the exact same situation! We just found out that we'll be moving at the end of August. We're military so we don't know what house we'll be living in yet, but we do know that we'll be downsizing by a bedroom, possibly a garage, and about 300-400 sq ft.

DH is not impressed at the idea of decluttering. I'm thrilled!

#12 ·
my only other piece of advice is to get rid of everything you don't like. that might sound obvious, but a piece of furniture that you're keeping because you use it, but you don't like it . . . that can go! you have to get rid of that stuff, so that the things you really do want can find a way into your new home. don't bring that stuff with you.

#13 ·
We move in 2 days!

Ive packed almost the whole house now and I didn't organize the clothes vary well ( they are my bane! )

My plan is I downsize MEGA time for us and now I'm going to go back organize the clothes ( most of it is hand me downs for our youngest) by season that we are using and then get rid of the ones that really I'm using to be lazy about laundry...

But looking around I think we are doing pretty well...even if it still needs to be organized a bit ( my Helpers are really not helpful esp miss violet who is throwing mega tantrums...so I get done what I can without any other adult help
)

#16 ·
We are suppose to be moving into a three bedroom soon (we live in a two right now) and Im trying to go through everything and get rid of a lot of stuff before we move.. I don't like the feeling of opening up a box and thinking "I thought I got rid of this"..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.