Blocks, legos, & train tracks..need a solution! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wasting way too much precious energy picking up Legos and blocks and train tracks off of the living room floor every day. There has to be a better way. How do you deal with them?

PS- No play room. He won't keep them in his bedroom. No room for a train table.
#2 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Only 1 thing out at a time and the rest in the closet. That is how we keep down the mess. They can only have out the amount of toys it takes me 5-10 minutes to pick up.

If he is playing with them all together all the time, then perhaps he can help pick up before bed or keep it in a corner? I have been known to leave out their toys for a few days in a row.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#3 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 12:05 PM

For Legos, set out a crib sheet or other smallish cloth. Then to clean up just pick up the sheet and dump Legos back into Rubbermaid container. For blocks and train track we picked them up together-ds would put blocks/track into giant dump truck and wheel them to me or use large block or 2 by 4 to push them to me like a bulldozer.
#4 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM

we use our coffee table as a train table. I have a large drawer thing underneat that holds train track and smaller ones that hold cars. The drawers keep them from view so he doesn't scatter them as much. We haven't reached the lego stage yet thank heavens
#5 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSings View Post
For Legos, set out a crib sheet or other smallish cloth. Then to clean up just pick up the sheet and dump Legos back into Rubbermaid container. For blocks and train track we picked them up together-ds would put blocks/track into giant dump truck and wheel them to me or use large block or 2 by 4 to push them to me like a bulldozer.
BRILLIANT! Going to try this myself.

We try to only do one at a time. But there sometimes is a conflict when dd1 wants legos and dd2 wants trains.

Pick up before dinner/snack/outside play/whatever transition you're making.

We also have a tray -- sort of this size/shape -- that we use when carrying dinner out to the deck in summer. Much of the year we don't really use it that much. But suppose dd1 made something that she wants to keep. It has to fit into the tray, or it has to be taken apart. She can keep the tray out as long as she's playing with the stuff, and I ask her before I destroy the creation. Generally that's 2-3 days.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Yes, ditto the OP, having a crib sheet in a rubbermaid container. We had 4 boys, and that system worked for years and years, except that by the DS number 4, the lego collection had grown so large we needed a double bed sheet LOL.
Also, we kept a dustpan tray in the box, to use as a scoop.
Once, when I was trying to sort the little bits for the boys into separate containers, they informed me that part of the fun was in searching for the right bit. THey actually preferred their lego all in one big pile, and with the sheet, it meant that they could spread them all out single layer and find the bit they needed.
I also cut the pictures off the fronts of the cardboard boxes and put them, with the directions, into a plastic sleeve binder. The grandkids now use the same binder, and yes, it's still the original old crib sheet in the lego box too.
Mr. Lego deserved the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention, I've always maintained, because it sure brought peace to our household LOL
#7 of 11 Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

The crib sheet and dustpan are both brilliant ideas! Thanks!
#8 of 11 Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM

A snow shovel.
#9 of 11 Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM

on blocks, trains and legos I have a small bin of each. the rest are stored in a big container in the closet. When either son gets involved with building and is really getting into it and not just dumping to dump, we pull out the big bin of that toy. Works well for us.
#10 of 11 Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 AM

For wooden blocks and train stuff I have three wooden rolling bins from Target. One bin is for all our natural wooden blocks, the other holds all the colored wooden blocks (they are smaller than the natural ones), and the last bin holds all the train stuff. I took a picture of each set and taped the corresponding picture on it's bin. I keep all of the bins under our train table when not in use, but you can just line them up against the wall.

Similar to these bins, but ours don't have the chalkboard surface.
http://www.target.com/Chalkboard-Bin...5-%2449&page=1

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#11 of 11 Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 AM

I agree with the sheet idea. Help ds learn that those toys stay on the sheet, then cleaning everything up is just a matter of rolling it up in the sheet.

Maybe have a few different color sheets for different toys, so if he wants to use both Legos and train stuff at the same time, then he can still help you sort it all out after... "legos on the blue sheet, train stuff on the yellow sheet".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page