How do I hide this thermostat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so we moved this past weekend.

Lots is still in boxes....

The townhouse we are in is slightly different than the model.

The thermostat is IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALL. smack dab IN THE MIDDLE of the wall.

It's the first thing you see when you open the front door.

The walls are close to this color....

The thermostat is cream.

How on earth do I hide it??

I think it's where it is bc that wall is shared by the utility room and kitchen so it needed to be close to that wiring and such.....but why on earth put it IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALL???

Why not place it closer to the corner of the wall or on the wall that doesn't face the door??

We tried to put the entertainment center in front of it but you can't access it.

I moved it to the side of the thermostat but it was so off center it looked awful. Not AS awful as a big white thermostat in the middle of a creamy coffee colored wall...

Dh doesn't care. He's just like whatever.

I care. It's ugly.

Any ideas???
#2 of 11 Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

i know i can't hide it completly......bc i need to have access to it...just want to camoflage it a tad. just wanted to clarify.
#3 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 AM

hmmm, maybe you could do something like this?

Its a post from one of my favorite blogs where she did an entire wall grouping designed to disguise her thermostat. She put a shelf underneath it and then placed a framed photo on the shelf, in front of the thermostat. She still had easy access but the thermostat was hidden. Maybe its an idea that could somehow work for you?

Since yours is in the middle of the room, what about a longer gallery ledge as opposed to a small, single shelf?
#4 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 AM

Could you create an art-door around it? I don't know what else to call it. Build a thick frame (the depth of the thermostat) around it, have some artwork (laminated poster, painting, whatever) that you attach a hinge to and attach the other side of the hinge to the frame? (think piano hinge, which is hidden)

I saw this somewhere... Argh! Can't think where. I hope I'm explaning this right. Worked like a charm at my place!

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#5 of 11 Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

WOW, those are great ideas.

I would like the woman from that blog to come help me decorate.

We currently have the sofa against that wall. It has a high curved back and rolled arms.

It's the kind of thermostat that sticks out from the wall in box form so maybe the hinged idea will work best.....

I'm gonna unpack a bit more....so tired....my neck wants to revolt against the weight of my head these days......but unpacking needs to be done. OY...

I'll update when we finally do something with it. Hopefully within the next week or two....

Need to go through stuff and donate and such still.....didn't get around to it as much as I thought I would btwn the 2 girls and searching for the missing cat.....

fun fun.....

It's 1130 and already 80 outside today....
#6 of 11 Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 AM

I can feel your pain 'cuz I have a big old fuse box smack dab in the middle of my wall [in the livingroom] ... ugh, I hate it!

Due to our lease, we're not allowed to put anything in front of it 'cuz it has to be easily accessible.

I've been here for 3 years and still haven't figured out what to do with it but plan on doing something this summer when I get the walls re-painted!

Lots of great ideas here, maybe I can figure out something after all.

Love,

Jen
#7 of 11 Old 06-10-2008, 11:33 PM

I have the same problem in my new home (we don't move in until July 15th), but it's on a wall near the entryway, so not as bad as in the middle of a room. Good luck w/the picture frame disgusing!

My major problem is that there is a giant (like 3x2 feet) air vent for the a/c in the living room where the filter goes and it is along one of the smaller walls in the living room. I won't really be able to put furniture in front of it b/c it will block the air flow... ugh...?

Any ideas?

-
#8 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 01:15 AM

Set of shadow boxes, like 4 or 5. Stretch pretty cloth over them so they're like really thick painted canvases. Arrange decoratively on wall with one over the thermostat.

Set of several shelves. Arrange on wall as desired and fill with your pretties. One shelf right under the thermostat. Get something that's big enough to go over the thermostat and hollow it out to use as a cover.

Single shelf. Fill with books. Set of 4-5 books in the middle are actually faux books and are a solid piece.
#9 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I have the same problem in my new home (we don't move in until July 15th), but it's on a wall near the entryway, so not as bad as in the middle of a room. Good luck w/the picture frame disgusing!

My major problem is that there is a giant (like 3x2 feet) air vent for the a/c in the living room where the filter goes and it is along one of the smaller walls in the living room. I won't really be able to put furniture in front of it b/c it will block the air flow... ugh...?

Any ideas?
Would a bookcase block the airflow too much? You wouldn't be able to fully use the shelves right in front of it, but if it was high enough up you wouldn't want those shelves to be totally full anyway.
#10 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 AM

Aisling, I love love love that blog She has a great sense of style! I will definitely be looking through it!
#11 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 AM

If you bought the house (rather than renting) you can have an electrician move the thermostat for you. Not necessarily the cheapest solution, but the one you might be most happy with long-term if you are going to own the house a while. And if you bought it new off the builder, I would call them and say 'Hey, this is ridiculous and it wasn't this way in the model - we want you to move it' and see what they say. There is no reason why it has to be in the middle of the wall, the wires that connect thermostats can be made as long as necessary.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page