A cheap but great summer - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're lucky enough to have two theaters in town that offer free matinees of kids' movies every day all summer. A couple days ago we spent a hot Arkansas afternoon snuggled in the frigid dark, eating smuggled M & Ms. Pretty decadent.

We also have a couple of giant churches who have fabulous kids' play areas . . . think McDonald's Playland on steroids. They want to encourage heathens to come in, so they let us play free any old time we want. Check and see if your big churches have something like this.

We also love to go creek exploring . . . see where it leads and what we can find along the way. A great way to keep cool on the hottest part of the day.

Invite friends over for a play date, then swap locations next week. Kids just love OPT (other people's toys).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 07:14 AM

Check out construction sites and play "Name that Truck."

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#33 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Amazing what an ounce of inspiration can do. Last night I purposely postponed our evening walk until after dark. I suggested DS (4 1/2) bring a flashlight and a lidded cup with holes poked so we could hunt fireflies. He got instantly excited and said, "Mommy! That's a great idea!" And it was indeed.

We walked the same route we do every night, but it was an entirely different experience. Thanks for the inspiration.
#34 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Sidewalk chalk
Sprinkler
sand box
having friends over for
homemade pizza night
ice cream sundae night
taco night
game night
movie night
etc.
Have already set-aside rainy day activities like board games, craft kits, painting, playing cards, a giant puzzle, etc.

When threads like this come up, I am always reminded of a heartwrenching scrapbooking page I saw once. It was by a single mom and about her relationship with her now-grown daughter. She one day asked her daughter about her favorite childhood memories. The daughter said "I remember one time we had a picnic, on the living room floor, for dinner. We used the fancy china. I felt so special, and loved."

The mom's recollection: She was so poor she couldn't put food on the table for dinner. She put out what little she had. She figured her daughter would always remember this as the lowest of the low days, the worst of the worst poverty, etc. So she made it fun, putting a picnic blanket on the floor instead of eating at the kitchen table. She made it as fancy as she could with the nice plates. All she had to offer for dinner that night was one measly can of sardines they had to share.

To her, it was one of her worst days as a parent. To her daughter, it was one of Mom's best.

Having a ton of money isn't what makes childhood great.
#35 of 42 Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM

gotta sub

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#36 of 42 Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM

subbing here too!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#37 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Taking pictures can be great fun. If you have a digital camera, you could work at both improving your skills as photographers. You could do photo scavenger hunts. Pose for each other, take lots of pictures of friends. Bring the camera on walks and see what new things you can notice. Take close-ups, finding details, textures, colours.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#38 of 42 Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
When threads like this come up, I am always reminded of a heartwrenching scrapbooking page I saw once. It was by a single mom and about her relationship with her now-grown daughter. She one day asked her daughter about her favorite childhood memories. The daughter said "I remember one time we had a picnic, on the living room floor, for dinner. We used the fancy china. I felt so special, and loved."

The mom's recollection: She was so poor she couldn't put food on the table for dinner. She put out what little she had. She figured her daughter would always remember this as the lowest of the low days, the worst of the worst poverty, etc. So she made it fun, putting a picnic blanket on the floor instead of eating at the kitchen table. She made it as fancy as she could with the nice plates. All she had to offer for dinner that night was one measly can of sardines they had to share.

To her, it was one of her worst days as a parent. To her daughter, it was one of Mom's best.

Having a ton of money isn't what makes childhood great.

Thanks for the reminder that it is our relationship that matters above all.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#39 of 42 Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Card games. I remember one summer I played cards a lot. I learned blackjack and all kinds of games. I learned to shuffle. Great math skills, and it's cheap!

Board games. Puzzles. Our family really loves playing a game called Settlers of Catan.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#40 of 42 Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 AM

The library program in our town, combined with story hour is wonderful! And there is story hour for older kids--school aged--how great is that?? An air conditioned library on a hot day with gazillions of books is heaven for my family.

Local naturalist type organizations (think Audabon) offer programs. Our favorite is the Owl Prowl, which involves a guided walk AT NIGHT with FLASHLIGHTS! So much fun, and interesting too.

Can you plant a garden or container garden? This provides every day fun and a cool learning experience for the kids. Your dd could grow a "pizza garden" for instance-tomato's, oregano and basil.

The local parents papers, if you have them, will often have listings of events around town. Do you have access to any summertime agricultural fairs? These aren't free, but are a lot of fun.

We're building a tree fort, so that's going to be our big summer project, along with the garden.

Have fun!
#41 of 42 Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 PM

I just remembered that I built a tree house one summer when I was 11. Me and my neighbor had so much fun building that, it was in the forest next to our complex and we used scrap wood and my dad's tools and nails.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#42 of 42 Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy! I was so excited to see this thread was bumped!! I cannot get over all the WONDERFUL ideas and glad to see others inspired as well! betsy, also, thank you for the wonderful story about the single mom...sometimes I get depressed wishing I could do more for my dd since we are poor but that just proves that what kids remember isn't spending tons of money but simple joys together!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page