Limited space - how to display clothes at yard sale? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are limited on table space. I'm doing everything I can to obtain more tables without shelling out $ (that I do not have!).

But I know we're going to have way too many clothes for even the tables we have, even if we used them solely for clothes!

So how should I display them? Hanging them is not an option either. It will be for the adult clothes but not for the kids clothes.

Should I put them folded on a tarp? I am thinking I'll group them according to gender/size, of course. And then post a sign above with the info (size/gender) in front of each "pile" (which they will be nicely laid out, and I'll do my BEST to keep them semi-folded during the sale anyway). I'll have four main groups for the most part 2T and 3T girls and 3T and 4T boys.

And actually, the place I was thinking of putting the tarp is in front of a fence (on the side of the yard). So I could get some clothes and hang them up on the fence to sort of "advertise" what is in that spot.

I know people hate kneeling but I really don't know what else to do!

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
#2 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 AM

I would probably just group them by size / type and do the best I could with the tarp. If you can get some on the fence that migiht work too. Could you throw the tarp over the fence, tie some string on the fence, and clip the clothes to the string with clothespins? or even just fold in half over teh string so they were moer "up"

Depending on how many clothes and what the value is I might also consider putting some of the not as nice ones in small bags as groups and leave it at that.

Good luck with your sale!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just have so many and no where near enough clothes pins, lol.

I have at least two large garbage bags full of clothes. Everything will be .50 per piece. I am debating on doing a grocery bag for $5 or something though.

Thanks!
#4 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM

As a mama who gets ALL of her kids clothes at yard sales (or thrifts), I will tell you that I would be highly grateful for clothes to be separated by size/gender even if they were just laid out on a tarp.

I go to YSs all the time that just have stuff dumped out on a table or tarp and aren't folded or sorted at all. It always flabbegasts me, because I would spend way more if I could actually FIND what I'm looking for, you know? If you've got some big rubbermaid tubs or something, that might help them from getting strewn out all over the place. I would say, too, if you have any outfits or sets, try to pin them together somehow. Those would be good candidates for hanging on the fence.

Good luck! Yard sales are fun once you've done all the hard work of getting it organized!
#5 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh, I can't imagine just tossing them all in a pile and not separating them out, lol.

Thanks.
#6 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Laundry baskets make good category organizers. If you have a costco near you, you can also get the low boxes cans come in and separate items into those. I think people are more inclined to keep things orderly if there are actual divisions to see. Stapled on index cards are handy for labeling the boxes; very visible, and removeable if you change inventory during the sale.
#7 of 11 Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM

I think bags would be great. Like: Womens shirts, $5 for the whole bag.
#8 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Put the stuff in bins, boxes or laundry baskets. Separate by size/gender.
If you can, hang a few really cute things on the fence and replace them as they sell.

If you put everything out on a tarp it will be completely destroyed within an hour. I suppose if you had a different tarp for different sizes it MIGHT work, but I dunno.

We do several big yard sales every year, and we always have about 500 pounds of clothing. From my experience people really like to dig for the clothes at a yard sale. I think that they are hoping to find a treasure that has been overlooked by less diligent shoppers. We always hang most of our clothes but make sure to have at least a few bins out for the diggers.

Another option is to go through all of the clothing that you want to sell (adult and kids) and pick out the very best items. you could hang those and price them at a dollar each, and then separate everything else into .50 bins.
We also do a bin that has items that might have a stain or a hole for a quarter and people love it.

Good Luck! You can make a nice little chunk of money if you do it right!

#9 of 11 Old 06-16-2008, 02:23 AM

Do you have, or could you borrow a clothes airer or two?.. the kind with about 5bars?
Also, don't forget an ironing board can act as a makeshift table too.
Another idea I saw once was a ladder laid horizontally between two chairs and the clothes hung across the rails.
#10 of 11 Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 AM

I have to agree with the bin idea. When I had my maternity clothes out, people ignored the piles on the bedsheets but went for the bins. Everything was nicely folded in the bin for about 5 minutes and people just started pawing through it all. If it's at all possible, pin together outfits and put the nice ones on hangars. Even if you have to hang them off the bins. Something about seeing clothes on a hangar makes me think that they were well cared for.

ETA: Maybe my YS customers like the bins because they're all Filene's Basement devotees and love searching through bins?
#11 of 11 Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there a place in your town that you can get boxes? We have a hardware store and a grocery store that are a good source for moving boxes. When I asked, they told me what day the truck comes in and when they stock the shelves. They just told me what day to come pick them up.

You could use boxes as make-shift tables. At least the stuff would be a little higher than the ground. Each box could have a size and you could mark them well.

Or if you have any empty tubs, those work fine too. I have used those for tables for baby clothes and shoes at my garage sales.

Really, as long as you seperate by size and gender it is a huge help.

I wouldn't even fold the clothes. What I did was put the shirts in one pile, pants in another, and onesies and outfits in a third pile. Everything was unfolded and laid flat. I sold shirts, onesies, pants, shorts, skirts for 50 cents, and one-pieces, outfits, rompers, etc for $1 each.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page