Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sucessful backpacing to the beach!!

woo hoo!

and the house is pretty clean!

thanks!

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM

I've done cloth diapers while camping with a toddler; I just brought extra plastic bags so I could double-bag them so they didn't smell on the way home. No big deal.

I use Rubbermaid totes also -- one large one for some stuff, and one smaller one (this usually gets non-perishable foods). I found it really helpful to have some things that are just for camping, like dishcloths and oven mitts -- they're very different colors from my usual kitchen stuff, so when we return from camping, they are washed, dried, and immediately put back in the camping tote. No forgetting them. I keep ziplock bags, trash bags, toilet paper, etc. in the camping tote too, so I don't have to remember to pack them each time, and that also goes for some non-perishable foods like salt and pepper. I'm not nearly as organized beforehand as some though -- there is some great info on this thread!

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#33 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
mtm

this is a great thread! I love the rubbermaid bin idea. We use soft sided duffle bags for most of our stuff which works okay, I'd like to do the kitchen stuff in rubbermaid as soon as we get back from our trip this week.
#34 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have a mini van but also a car top carrier which has plenty of room for all our gear.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#35 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't invested in sleeping bags --since we've always co-slept we just cram onto one big mattress. But we are shifting and I wonder about sleeping bags...

Any suggestions for a type (I am all about all cotton/natural fabrics) and the sleeping bags we had from pre kids are all nylon and fleece...

Opinions?

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#36 of 39 Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For you mamas with older or more sane children , definitely check out this mama's way of involving her kids in the packing -- brilliant (via soulemama).

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#37 of 39 Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 AM

I too have some designated crates and storage containers just for camping. I have a "kitchen" one with camping dishes/silverware, etc. as well as the camp stove and propane, aluminum foil, paper towels, skewers, and anything whatsoever to do with food. I pack the dry goods in the cooler when it's empty and in storage. Our sleeping bags and tents are all in drawstring bags (the sleeping bags are in drawstring trash bags actually, becuase it keeps dust out). I have a retractable clothesline, washcloth, some small towels, and clothespins in a 2 gallon bucket in case I need to hand wash clothes. Pretty much I just have to pack our toiletries and perishable foods, and everything else is already packed. It's all stored on two shelves in our garage.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#38 of 39 Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 PM

We haunted yard sales and found large duffles to pack in. They are more "squishable" than rubbermaid bins, and this really helped when we were camping with 3 kids out of a Dodge Stratus.
#39 of 39 Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM

This thread is great! We are going camping in a few weeks and it has been a loong time since I camped with a little teeny one (almost 1). ...and never camped with THREE kids before. Lol. I can't remember what I need to bring with me!

Loving this thread. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page