Cleaning.....and kids - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 07-04-2008, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
BTW Magic Erasers get everything including sharpie marker off walls. Ask me how I know?:
I'll see your walls and raise you CARPET!!!!! Magic erasers WILL take sharpie out of crapet (um carpet sorry, can ya tell I hate the stuff? lol)... if it's a low pile 'smoothish' carpet it will be a bit ruffed up, but at least it won't have a large dark blue swirl right in the middle of the hallway

Quote:
4)3x a day toy tidy?
Ya know, I used to have a twice a day tidy.. sorta like a 5minute toy rescue. Before lunch & nap, we'd go thru the house & pick up the toys in a laundry basket & put them away. Then we'd do it again before bed... WHY did I stop this??? because it really is brilliant.
[/QUOTE]

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#32 of 38 Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 AM

roomba and color wonder
#33 of 38 Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post

1) Getting the clothes put up after they are washed.
2) crumb/food plagued floors (another huge pet peeve).

3) writing all over......which would be remedied by writing untisels leaving (dh suggests) but easiser said than done

4)toy mess (can be remedied)

5) other general mess........(such as kids getting into our stuff)

6) children getting out their clothes from the drawers and throwing them on the floor
the top 2 and the last are the major ones
Last year, when I found out I was expecting twins and would soon have 4 kids 4 and under, I vowed to get our home and routines in order. And after much work, it has mostly happened. It really is a matter or trial and error, seeing what works for your family. And also, prioritizing and teaching your children to work along with you, not against you.

I have one thing going for me, my children are sleepers. My oldest 2 go to bed around 7:30 or 8:00, my babies go to bed around 9:30. The oldest sleep thru the night till 7:30 and the babies only wake once around 4:00, then sleep till 8:30ish. I am rested so I can tackle the day. I can't imagine getting everything done without sleep.

I get up at 7:00 and shower before the kids start waking up. That way I am never holding up the show. After I shower, I go downstairs and get the big kids breakfast out, fill juice cups, etc. I put away the dishes from the dishwasher, except their dishes which I set on the counter.

The big kids get up at 7:30 and come downstairs to eat. When they are done, they bring their dishes to the sink and I put them away. While I'm doing this, they put away their clean dishes from the dishwasher. I put them in a low drawer and they love putting them away themselves. Plus it keeps them busy while I work.

Then we head back upstairs to get them dressed and cleaned up. They are each in charge of taking their dirty clothes to the chute to throw downstairs. I leave my dirty clothes next to the chute and so does my dh, so they have more to toss since they love pushing them down.

That's how our day starts

1. CLOTHING - each night as my dh reads the kids their bedtime stories, I put away clothes and linens. My oldest's (she's 4) clothes go on her dresser and she puts them away herself. My son's (he's 2) go on his dresser and my dh puts them in his drawers when he's tucking him in. Since we do it everyday, it's minimal and takes about 15 seconds. I put away the rest of the stuff.

2) crumb/food plagued floors (another huge pet peeve). I usually leave this for the evening after the kids are in bed. It drives me crazy, but it is an endless task, so I've given in and decided just to tackle it once a day.

3) writing all over......which would be remedied by writing untisels leaving (dh suggests) but easiser said than done

No writing things are out in our house. My dd has writing stuff in her room that is higher than her brother can reach. But, anything she has is the crayola washable, just in case.

4)toy mess (can be remedied) After dinner, while I'm cleaning up the kitchen, dh helps the kids pick up their toys. Anything left out gets put in a box for one day. One day is an eternity to them, so leaving toys out stopped pretty quickly.

5) other general mess........(such as kids getting into our stuff) I keep all the doors shut to non-used rooms during the day.

6) children getting out their clothes from the drawers and throwing them on the floor - My kids don't really play in their rooms, so they are not there to take stuff out. I don't have a great solution for this. Maybe not let them in their rooms unsupervised for awhile and see if it helps?
#34 of 38 Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 PM

I wanted to add something

One thing that has really helped me is to involve my kids in the housework. That is our together time. If they want to play, they can go play, but I probably won't be playing with them. We have fun together and do lots of stuff together, but I don't spend my days entertaining them. We do the laundry together and sing songs while we do it. Between the 2 of them, they can turn over the laundry, reload it, clean the lint trap, bring me a basket to fold, and get a new load started. All I have to do is pour the soap. They brag to everyone they know about how good they are at laundry, LOL. We have loads of fun cleaning the produce from our CSA on Tuesdays and trying all the new veggies while we prep them for storage. We giggle and play and race while we clean up our toys. You get the point. I spend lots of quality time with my kids, but it is not me playing with their toys with them. And for the most part, as far as I can tell, they love doing my work with me. This has definitely been a change in perspective for me, but it has been a positive one.
#35 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
With 4 young children can you clean? Or do you more kind of corral the mess?
typically just step over....lol
#36 of 38 Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM

It sounds like you are ready to tackle it, but you need to stop giving excuses and look for solutions (said in love from a person in almost the same spot).

DUSTBUSTER!!!! Buy it, LOVE IT!! Get the big one and even the kids can use it to clean up their own messes.

Doorknob covers or hook latches to keep the kids out of the office.

www.Flylady.net She has tons of ideas for cleaning with kids that are really helpful, and she is a HUGE advocate of decluttering.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#37 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
It sounds like you are ready to tackle it, but you need to stop giving excuses and look for solutions (said in love from a person in almost the same spot).

DUSTBUSTER!!!! Buy it, LOVE IT!! Get the big one and even the kids can use it to clean up their own messes.

Doorknob covers or hook latches to keep the kids out of the office.

www.Flylady.net She has tons of ideas for cleaning with kids that are really helpful, and she is a HUGE advocate of decluttering.
yeah I know

yeah I agree that little vacs are handy (I have a few)....I just want a good one that does not stink like dust or dump dust out all over

the office actually does not have a door knob because it broke......so I plan to look into locking knobs for it...so that may fix that prob....thanks for that idea, I did not think about the covers

yeah flylady rocks

thanks
#38 of 38 Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
yeah I agree that little vacs are handy (I have a few)....I just want a good one that does not stink like dust or dump dust out all over

thanks

My dustbuster thing has a cloth filter on it. I wash it with dish soap about 1x a month, and sometimes put some EO on it.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page