Need tips and tricks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read something in another thread that made me wonder if there are more tips like that one. The mama mentioned keeping their clean sheets in between the mattress and the box spring..brilliant!

So here's the story: in two weeks we are moving to an ecovillage from the suburbs. Right now we live in a typical 3 bedroom suburban house with a garage. The house we will be renting is a tiny, two story, two bedroom-ish(no walls really dividing the upstairs "room", but the stairs going up and a bookshelf, I think) strawbale house. I dont think the house is much bigger than 600 sf or so. There are 4 of us. (dh, me and our two girls)

As you can imagine, we are decluttering like mad (and loving it!) before we load up the truck but I am still wondering if things will fit. I would love to hear some more great storage ideas like the one above ( think I can stuff the towels between the mattress too?) Here's some things I am planning so far: getting the beds on higher legs for storage underneath. Our coffee table is a cedar chest, stuff with some of the winter clothes. O! i can put the extra blankets for winter under the mattress too...

Com'on organized mamas what ideas have you got for me ?

Thanks

tanya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use a lot of baskets (IKEA has some nice 12" square ones). They fit a ton of stuff but don't make an area look cluttered. We used to have a coffee table I could fit 6 of these baskets under - it was wonderful.

Reorg any closets you have. Usually they are one bar with one shelf above - totally a waste of space. We usually put in some vertical cubbies down one side. Two bars. An extra shelf at the top & if space permits a shoe rack at the bottom.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM

I totally agree with the above poster. I have a personal pet peeve about wasted closet space. Most can be organized with more bars and shelves and be so incredibly efficient. You can get books on how to do it, you can buy more stuff at home depot type places, you can even hire professionals. Once you maximize your closet space, it's a whole new game.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....as far as I remember ( saw the house once three months ago ) there are no closets at all... I think there is one bar for hanging clothes under one of the rafters.... But thanls for those idea...never even considered adding bars to a closet....

Keep 'em coming

Tanya
Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Replace all bath towels with large, thin hand towels. That way they can be rolled and placed on a small shelf in the bathroom. Also means way less space in the laundry hamper and the laundry - uses less energy too . I read about that tip in this forum, and I want to try it myself.

Rotate toys if you're not doing it anyway - that way you don't need as much toy storage in prime locations and rotated items can be in simple cardboard boxes.

Everyone use the same shampoo - we use baby no-tears health-food store shampoo.

If you have a lot of paper, consider getting a Scansnap and going paperless (with a backup system for your hard drive).

We live in cohousing and I don't store anything that is available to me communally. For example, our common house has pizza stones and various items like that. I'm sure your ecovillage will have lots of shared items - find out what they are and ditch your copies. Also, consider allowing tools/items that you own to live in community spaces so that you don't have to store them (with community permission of course).

Get ruthless about books. If it's in the library and you do not use it very frequently, get rid of it. Keep a list of books that you've read if you want to remember them.

Congrats on your upcoming move! :

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

ugh...the book thing was hard! I thought I has already done a good job of keeping the books from getting out of control, but when i took a really long hard look at my bookds and those of my girls...I ended up getting rid of 4 boxes full. yes, the storing tools in common areas sounds good...I have a vitamix, but that can probably live in the common kitchen...good idea!

We already do the same shampoo thing, and some of the other stuff...but the paperless thing si a good idea!

Thanks

tanya
Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 AM

I'm very green that you get to move to an ecovillage! How wonderful!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

yep...we are beyond psyched! :

tanya
Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 AM

I have a landing at the top of my stairs. There was space there that wasn't being used so I had DH mount a closet rod about 6 inches from the wall and I hung those closet organizer things (shoe shelves and sweater shelves). I can put all our in season clothes in the 6 units that I was able to hang and all of our out of season clothes now live in our two dressers and part of a closet. I could hang material over it to cover it but I don't.

I recently cleaned our or bathroom. I was shocked how much out of date products we had accumulated. Also, stuff I know we wouldn't use again (never liked it or no longer had a need for it). I resolved to stop shoving stuffing stuff in that space.

Labeling in the kitchen works wonders. Once you figure out where you want your things/ food. Then everything stays in its "home' and you can easily tell what you need more of.

User Tag List