Has anyone tackled scrapbooking supplies yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And if so, what was your method?

I do enjoy scrapbooking, but I also have a ton of stuff. I don't think it would be so bad if I actually organized it, but space is at a premium in our tiny house. When I do work on my books, I tend to use only what is right in front of me anyhow.

Any suggestions on taming the craft mess?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM

I have eyed those little "organizational" carts at JoAnn's, but I decided it was just another object to take up space. Right now mine are in bags . I have a sticker bag, a paper box, a quotes bag, embellishments bag... you get the picture. It all lives on the scrapbooking shelf in my bedroom.
#3 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM

I have two totes that I keep everything in. One has my paper and stamps, the other has everything else. I slowly built up a supply of organization accessories from the dollar store for little embelishments, to sort paper (those plastic folder-type things that holds 12x12 paper and it closes by winding a string around two little buttons; can't find anything online like it but I can find them everywhere here) and so on. I got rid of all my cheesey stuff that I will probably never use as well as excess, I keep my stickers in a large envelope and the little scraps that I plan to use in a little brown paper bag. I have a binder that I keep ideas in, put larger sheets of stickers and anything else I can fit in there.

It's not perfect but I have everything in one place and if I work at the coffee table, I can have my totes open, one on each side, and have everything right there.

ETA: I keep these two totes stacked by the couch so they are there. I downgraded from a huge closet to these totes so I did have to get rid of a lot of stuff. I shared with friends, had crops where I said "Help yourself!", gave away on freecycle and salvation army . It took some time of gradually letting go.
#4 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have one tote that holds most things & then my "overstock" I have in a rubbermaid. This way I can work just out of the tote & occasionally refill it from the rubbermaid. I have become strict about only buying something if I have a specific use for it & I am not allowing myself to buy any more paper until I have used a significant amount of what I have stockpiled.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

yes.
Mine has no mercy though. Since I am done w the wedding book, I put out anything wedding at the crops and say take! Did the same with the baby stuff since I am done doing the baby albums.

Anything I know I will not use, I give away either at crops or to fellow scrapbookers.
I give my dds the stickers if not used within a year or two because if I havent used it yet, I wont and they go bad-really I have seen it!

I have a roll thing that is huge and I am thinking of downsizing that as well. I have 2 big binders that house paper and stickers and the sides open up to house my tapes, scissors etc. Since I have two young girls, it stays out of the open and packed up because I do my cropping at my CM lady's house and just throw it in the car and go.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 PM

how about some pictures of successful solutions?

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#7 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 AM

I have the luxury of having a small section in a spare room/office in our home. We just created this space:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...7/P1040906.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...7/P1040905.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...7/P1040904.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...7/P1040903.jpg

It serves as a craft, sewing, scrapping area. The kids like it too.

Mom to 2 wonderful little MDB's
#8 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM

I have mine in a laminate cabinet

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ingcabinet.jpg

And there are some great ideas over at creative organizing

http://www.creativeorganizing.typepad.com/

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#9 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM

I love the wall-mounted shelves with baskets!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#10 of 14 Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 AM

Well, I had to make a HUGE MESS in order to tame the monster. LOL I pulled every single thing out and made huge piles of like items. Then I went around the house looking for containers I could repurpose to hold them and appropriate ways to label them, etc. I did a little shopping, too, and brought a sample of the largest item of its kind with me to test ideas. I didn't stick with traditional or stated organizational items. LOL Ikea and The Container Store got most of my attention and dollars for this project.

I have a TON of stuff and it is all organized and I use it.

I have to say...
When we had to move out for three weeks last Fall due to major remodeling work, it was a SHOCK at just how much stuff I really had. Packing it all up and moving it down the street to my dad's house (2 min walk) was just the eye-opener I needed!!!!

I had been buying and scrappin' and going along my merry way keeping my stash within 'normal' quantities when I started doing custom crafts for clients in Feb 2003. This seemed to open the 'okay to buy' flood gates and I was constantly picking up 'bargains' to use on client projects and/or in classes I taught. OH MY! My stash doubled, if not TRIPLED, during that 3 year time frame. I decided not to do that biz anymore for several reasons, but mostly because I never found time to scrap/sew/craft for my own family.

I thankfully halted my buying frenzy, but still had quite a build-up of supplies. I was so overwhelmed with all the STUFF, though, that I didn't want to actually scrap/craft/sew anymore. I stopped going to those stores and stopped going to those events. It served its purpose in me not adding anymore to my stash, but it didn't make me very happy. I LOVE TO CRAFT!!!

So, I got busy slowly organizing it all based on my own supplies. (This actually happened several times from 2005-2007.) My categories are far from the 'norm', but they work rather well for my stash.

After the shock of the move-out period last Fall, I decided it was time to get busy crafting again and DH coined my new phase as 'the consumption diet'... LOL I started going to events again. I started a small project. I got busy USING my supplies! I have completed several new projects and found damage in all my older books (from the late '90s and one book that took me like five years to do from '02 to '06 due to having a young child and all the above stuff going on, etc) and I fixed them all! I am six pages away from finishing an album I started THIS YEAR (before I found the damage and fixed it all) and I am going away next weekend to scrap with friends and have another project 75% ready.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#11 of 14 Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 AM

These are my categories, just in case they help someone:

ALPHABETS & NUMBERS
ANIMALS
BIRTHDAY & PARTY
BORDERS
FLOWERS
HEARTS & LOVE
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
PEOPLE
RANDOM
SEASONAL & HOLIDAYS
SHAPES
TAGS & ENVELOPES & POCKETS
TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION
WEDDING

I use them for everything that is theme-related, such as die cuts, stickers, rub-ons, metal embellies, dies, brass stencils, plastic stencils, ideas, and so forth. Everything except paper.

I employ the ROY G BIV sorting technique for all paper and ribbon and fibers and such. I have a six-drawer 12x12 paper sorter:

1 - ROY (reds, oranges, yellows...I'm not much a warms color person, so they all fit in one drawer)
2 - Pinks (in other areas, these are with the reds...I have a daughter...LOL)
3 - G (greens, one of my favorite colors)
4 - BI (blues, indigos, another fave)
5 - V (violets, another fave)
6 - neutrals (whites, grays, blacks, creams, browns)

I sort QUICKLY by main color of ALL paper, for the most part. Each drawer has the solid cardstock at the bottom (lightest to darkest) and the patterns in the middle (loosely light to dark) and large scraps on top (no order, but easy to separate). My drawers are clear, so it is easy to see into them without opening. They look pretty, too.

I mostly break up sets, but there are a few I like to keep together. I have those in a vertical accordion carry case in alpha order by brand. It is just what I hand on hand when I did the major overhaul. ALL my paper used to fit in it. LOL

I keep smaller scraps (4.5x7 or smaller) in a different drawer above my desk in the same ROY G BIV order and I go to this drawer FIRST when making cards and other crafts. I got this idea off a scrapbook site a few years ago and OH MY has this ever helped tame the scrap monster!!!!

Once my DD got to the point where she could and does craft with me, I took this separate bin for scraps thing a step farther. I have a small 3- bin system from Ikea. Any scraps small enough to fit in these, goes in here. The bins are green, blue, purple (my favorite colors!) and they each hold their outside color scraps and the color wheel opposite and a neutral, so each color is easy to find. DD can go to these any time she wants.

Whenever I finish a project, I clean up the paper scraps by putting away the tiny pieces first. Whatever pieces don't fit in the above 3-bin system, go into the drawer above my desk. Whatever doesn't fit in that, goes into the 12x12 drawers. It goes quickly!!! DD helps now that it is easy and she is much better at tossing the tiny scraps than I am. She knows what she will use and what is just too small to be useful.

BEST WISHES!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#12 of 14 Old 07-04-2008, 02:13 PM

I did awhile ago...I gave away a whole bunch of stuff on Freecycle, including papers and such.

I just tried to really get rid of things I didn't like or used. I also kept some of the papers for my kids to use for their own craft purposes....

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#13 of 14 Old 07-05-2008, 11:49 AM

This is my scrapbook space You can make paper shelves cheaply by using wire storage cubes and zip ties. I use large Rubbermaid storage drawers to organize other supplies (stamps, stickers, die cuts, embellishments). I use small drawer cubes for scraps organized by color. I had shelves above the desk but we just recently painted and cleared out the room to make it feel more like a guest room so I am considering not putting them back up.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#14 of 14 Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the pictures! I do have some shelves I would like to use for my supplies in our office. I am going to label some containers so that I know where everything is. I also like Amy's idea of taking anything I wont use again and offering it up to other people at crops. I will do this once I finish my wedding album!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page