Stuff "needed" for college - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was browsing Bed Bath & Beyond's website the other day and was amazed at how much STUFF they are "recommending" kids take off to college. And this is for the dorms!

I went off to a state university one hour from my hometown in 1987. Everything fit in the back of my parent's humungo LTD station wagon (remember those?). I lived in the dorm. My electronics where a 12" B/W TV, a small boom box, and an electric typewriter (I thought I was SO lucky when I got one of those electronic typewriters for Christmas my junior year!). No micro - used the one in the lounge on my floor. Rented a SMALL fridge from the U for $40 for the year. Other things were clothes, personal books.

Did buy a number of those plastic milk crates. My dad was handy with wood so cut several pieces of board and sanded the edges smooth so my roomies and I were able to create a shelving unit of sorts with all our crates.

Did buy a finished edge piece of carpet for a rug for the middle. Hung some posters on the wall. Had a few melamine plates/bowls/cups and some silverware. Had a "hot pot."

That was it.

What the kids go away to school with now is crazy. Seems they turn their dorm rooms into wee apartments with couches and everything.

What did YOU go off to college with? Do you see younger siblings going off with a lot of stuff?

This is for dorm dwellers, not apartments (which I know take a LOT more stuff).

lady.gif
#2 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
12' B/W TV
Well, with a twelve foot TV, you wouldn't really have room for anything else!
#3 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Well, with a twelve foot TV, you wouldn't really have room for anything else!
OOPS! Meant that to be a 12 INCH TV

lady.gif
#4 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 PM

I never lived in the dorm so I don't have that experience, but it does seem like an awful lot is marketed towards today's freshman. This shouldn't surprise me, really, since today's freshman has been marketed to his/her entire life.
#5 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's hardly surprising when you think of how many things you MUST have for a baby, or a child or a house.... You know what I mean.

I think the best thing my friend who lived in a dorm for 4 years did was get enough milk crates to set her bed up on it. This gave her a huge amount of extra space for storage of stuff & made jumping up onto her bed more fun!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM

I took my stereo (component-style with speakers), a very small tv/vcr combo, a rug, posters, clothes, toiletries, bed linens and pillow. My roommate had a dorm frig, and she put a small microwave in the common area. I lived in a suite of 4 rooms for 8 girls. This was 20 years ago. No one that I knew brought a computer with them! My room came with a dresser, regular-sized closet, chair, vanity/study area and two beds which could be bunked. I had no need for additional storage space. The common area for the 4 rooms/8 girls had two itchy couches and an end table.
#7 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 PM

When I went I stayed in a three bedroom (six girls) one bath dorm "apartment". I took: cookie sheets, pot and pan, bedding, computer, clothes, shoes and a few books I really loved. My roommate however took so much stuff that it was lining all the shelves everywhere. I only stayed a week but I was glad I didn't have to stay any longer. She was a messy clutter bug.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM

I just did this in '02!

I took:
2 sets of sheets, 3 pillows, a comforter
5 towels, 5 washclothes
assorted toiletries
Computer w/ printer
Outtake/Intake window fan
2 lamps (1 desk, 1 goose neck floor lamp)
Clock
Dad made a 10' x 3' storage shelf for my roomie and I
Dad also made a shelf for my compy desk that help my screen
My stereo
Movies, books, CDs
Narrow tall plastic storage drawers
Large oval rug

My roomie, on the oher hand, brought a whole crap load of stuff that ended up going home with her parents cause it didn't fit!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#9 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM

I never lived in a dorm in college - but I did go to boarding school.

I took sheets, comforter, towels, toiletries, books, cds, computer & printer, boombox style stereo, 1 small plastic shelf thing did double duty as bookcase/bedside table, things to hang on my wall, small lamp and a few small things from home that made me happy - a special box for my desk etc. and clothes. Hot plates, microwaves etc were banned.

My senior year I was a dorm proctor so I got the priviledge of having a mini fridge in my room. I also bought a wooden bedside table that year. It had three drawers and it felt so special to have "real furniture".
#10 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 PM

As a freshman in 1994, and I had a word processor! Like a typewriter with a little bit of memory, a small screen that shows you just the last couple of sentences you wrote. I wrote all my freshmen papers on it. There was a computer lab but people didn't bring their own or anything. I wonder if they even still have computer labs anymore?

They try to tell the kids they need all this stuff, but dorms are still dorms. Two people both bring a PC, fridge, TV/X-Box as well as clothes -- I can't imagine much else fitting into one of those itty bitty rooms that freshmen get.
#11 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 11:27 PM

I remember being so jealous because my friend's parents brought her to Target before college and bought her all this stuff! I had just a few basics. She had pots, pans, tupperware, a vacuum, fridge, etc. (Note: she was on mealplan!). I don't know how much she used that stuff freshman year, but I'm sure she used it later on. Her room was also quite a bit bigger than mine, so she did have space.

I'm glad that I didn't have my own TV. I really kicked the TV habit in college and wouldn't have had time anyway. Though I did play a lot of tetris on my computer that had so little RAM that I could do barely anything else with it. I used the dorm floor's fridge, but did have a few things "disappear" out of there!
#12 of 22 Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesandNo View Post

They try to tell the kids they need all this stuff, but dorms are still dorms. Two people both bring a PC, fridge, TV/X-Box as well as clothes -- I can't imagine much else fitting into one of those itty bitty rooms that freshmen get.
Yea, we just sent ds#1 off last year and I was so surprised by the "must have" list. We did get him some extras ( an area rug, a mini-fridge, a very cheap futon to put under his loft bed.) The rest was 3 sets of towels, sheets, a blanket, a bedspread, a pillow,a lamp, a plate, a cup, a bowl, a fork/spoon/knife...oh, and medium-sized rubber maid box.

He also took a few favorite DVDs, his !Pod and a few favorite books.

His roomate brought a microwave and a t.v. and X-box, and then the other usual stuff.

When I went...many moons ago...

Two sets of towels, one set of sheets, blanket, comforter and too many clothes.

My roomate and I, freshman year, rented a little mini-fridge. No t.v. There was one in the commen room. There was a commen kitchen we used in the dorm if we wanted to cook.

Not much will fit into regular sized dorm rooms, even with loft beds. Some dorms have suites, though, so maybe the lists are geared towards those.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#13 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 AM

My roomie had a tv/dvd/vcr.
It felt like we struck gold.
But then again, I went to a small Catholic school that had rules about what movies could be watched on common TVs, so those of us with our own TVs had "ban movie" nites.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#14 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 12:10 AM

I happen to know a woman who works in the facilities office at Brown University. She told me that at the end of each year the students tend to LEAVE tons of stuff - especially fridges. Apparently it is common to just get a new one each year :
#15 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

I think I might have bought a mop for the dorm room's tile floor, but for a vacuum, you just borrowed one from your dorm's front desk.

The TV caused issues with my roomie - we always wanted to watch different things. I was also so General Hospital addicted that I scheduled my classes around it first semester - I kicked the habit and never did that again. Would you believe I'm now TV-free?

lady.gif
#16 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
As a freshman in 1994, and I had a word processor! Like a typewriter with a little bit of memory, a small screen that shows you just the last couple of sentences you wrote. I wrote all my freshmen papers on it. There was a computer lab but people didn't bring their own or anything. I wonder if they even still have computer labs anymore?

you're one year younger than me!

yeah I took the bare minimum. However, I live in a college town now and I've been in the dorms and they do look like tiny appartments. They somehow cram EVERYTHING in there.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#17 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 03:50 AM

Depends on the dorms. I lived in an apartment-style dorm my first semester (1995) along with 3 other women. It was fully furnished. I was a mid-year entry, so my roommates had the place pretty much covered in terms of kitchen supplies and such. I think all I brought was an alarm clock and other personal stuff, and then bought bedding and towels and a few other things along the way. Maybe it was because I had already been living on my own for awhile, but I didn't feel the need to bring a whole house with me.
#18 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I happen to know a woman who works in the facilities office at Brown University. She told me that at the end of each year the students tend to LEAVE tons of stuff - especially fridges. Apparently it is common to just get a new one each year :
I've heard that if you live near a university, you can really clean up at the end of the school year! Clothes, electronics furniture, all left out by or in the dumpster. I don't live near a university but that kind of makes me wish I did!

(FTR: I attend university online. The only supplies I have are regular office supplies, a laptop, and textbooks!)
#19 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I was browsing Bed Bath & Beyond's website the other day and was amazed at how much STUFF they are "recommending" kids take off to college. And this is for the dorms!

I went off to a state university one hour from my hometown in 1987. Everything fit in the back of my parent's humungo LTD station wagon (remember those?). I lived in the dorm. My electronics where a 12" B/W TV, a small boom box, and an electric typewriter (I thought I was SO lucky when I got one of those electronic typewriters for Christmas my junior year!). No micro - used the one in the lounge on my floor. Rented a SMALL fridge from the U for $40 for the year. Other things were clothes, personal books.

Did buy a number of those plastic milk crates. My dad was handy with wood so cut several pieces of board and sanded the edges smooth so my roomies and I were able to create a shelving unit of sorts with all our crates.

Did buy a finished edge piece of carpet for a rug for the middle. Hung some posters on the wall. Had a few melamine plates/bowls/cups and some silverware. Had a "hot pot."

What did YOU go off to college with?
I went to college in 1988, just a year after you, and my list is pretty much the same, minus the TV. It all fit in ONE suitcase and a footlocker in the trunk of the Oldsmobile. My parents and little sister took a road trip to Montreal after dropping me off, so there was enough room in the car for their vacation things as well as my college stuff. My roommate, on the other hand, had an entire conversion van full of stuff.

a small boom box (mine was a high school graduation gift. I didn't even own any CDs)
an electric typewriter
clothes fit into one suitcase
1 set "long" twin sheets
quilt that grandma made for a grad present
1 set towels
plastic milk crates (2 stolen from the milk co that serviced the summer camp I worked at. I still have one of these)
a set of melamine plates
a hot pot that my mother had when she went to college in the 60s. The coil was bare in the bottom of the mug - it only boiled water.
my stuffed platypus

My friends across the hall bought a carpet remnant for the center of their room, and their comforters matched. I was so jealous of their cozy, coordinated room that I made sure my sister had all matching bedding, sheets and curtains when she went to college 10 years after I did.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#20 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
We work at a very small college. There are departments on campus that upgrade their office fridge and coffee maker by dumpster diving after the students leave.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#21 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Oh yeah, the stuff that was left behind!! Enough cinder block bricks to build a few houses! Rugs, bedding, beds, shelves, clothes, camping gear (we went to school in Montana), etc.

All I took was a douffle bag of clothes, and a large tote of bedding and dishes, etc. But we had a nice kitchenette on our floor and could rent a fridge. However, my roommates always had lots of stuff. Oh, I started college in '92. I did have my own computer by 95.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#22 of 22 Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
its bed bath and beyond. it is their job to talk you into anything they may sell.

I took sheets and a comforter, 3 towels and a pillow. bedding was from my bed. and that was it. maybe a radio. I was the poor girl inthe dorms though. my room mate brought everything but the kitchen sink and was really peved that I didn't pay for half of the "nesecities".

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page