Apartment Therapy 8 Step Home Cure!-Roster added 7/16 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 99 Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love having fresh flowers in the house. Whenever I go to the store I look at the price and think $8 for some flowers that will last a few days and never buy them!! It makes such a big difference in my home though. Everything looks better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 99 Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Hey,
I found these household project forms to put our home projects on. http://delightinreallife.com/family%20notebook.htm DH and I started, but I think I'm going to go print some more and do one page for each room/area (Yes, we have at least that many projects! Our big old 128 year old house was condemnable when we bought it and it was a rental for 40 years before us. But she's a grand old gal and got really good bones.) Hopefully those of you in apartments can get away with just printing 1 or 2 forms. I'm actually pretty excited about this, since we have pretty much been going in circles and getting nothing done, not to mention DH being sick last summer and nothing getting done last year. And the mortification of dMIL being mortified about the state of our home last summer for the visiting nurse to come and wanting to do crazy surface cover ups that would cost big money and have to be ripped down to go back and fix what the real issue was. (I hope that wasn't too confusing) and we have materials for lots of the projects that need done. This will allow us to prioritize and actually FINISH a project or room <Gasp! Is that even possible?>

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#63 of 99 Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 PM

I've been reading the book too, but we're still not sure if we're going to move or not, so I'm not committing to the full 8 weeks until we find out for sure. There are so many great ideas in this book!!!

I'll be lurking on this thread and hopefully joining late
#64 of 99 Old 07-25-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
I love having fresh flowers in the house. Whenever I go to the store I look at the price and think $8 for some flowers that will last a few days and never buy them!! It makes such a big difference in my home though. Everything looks better!
Me too! I bought a rose bouquet last week (cream they were gorgeous) and this week I got a bouquet of Everlasting (well, that's what they called them at the Farmer's market) It really brightens up the place and my LO really enjoys them too .

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#65 of 99 Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Our dining and living rooms are looking and feeling good. We finally got rid of our old fridge this week and I decluttered the living room. Culled a box of toys too.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#66 of 99 Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 PM

I got flowers, and I also bought two inexpensive vases that are actually the right size for a smaller-medium sized but tallish bouquet (aka the average $7-10 grocery store mixed flower bouquet!) I've never bought a vase before, the ones I all have are sort of just inherited ones from when I've been sent larger flower arrangements. (We have a dear family friend, like an adoptive "aunt", who has sent us lavish flower arrangments when we got engaged, and when we got pregnant, and when we had DD.) The more modest flowers that I buy or DH brings home don't look as good in these huge outsized vases, and so I am excited now that I have two medium sized vases that they look great in!!!! I ended up buying some beautiful orange roses, and then there were some beautiful irises that weren't too expensive so I splurged on that too!

We also ended up finding some wrought iron furniture we love for our sunporch--we've been sort of looking around/planning to buy something for this room (which currently has no furniture at all except for an old table that we set plants on) since we moved in a year ago. So I ordered that today! yay!!! Even though that isn't really on the "program" for now, I'm taking it loosely and using it to get unstuck in areas where we've procrastinated or haven't really turned our full attention or cheaped out before doing what we'd planned.

I'm not making much progress with doing the floors, but I'll do that over the weekend when DH is home to run herd on DD, so she's not smearing yogurt or peanut butter on the floors in one room while I'm busy mopping in another. lol.

I also am working my way through "Mt. Washmore" of all the items we have that must be washed specially (handwashed, done separately, dirty dog rugs, etc.) that can't just be thrown into the washer with a load of clothes. And the regular clothes that are piling up while I'm occupying the washer with those items.

I am also making significant headway on ton of baby clothes that are strewn all over the basement floor. They were all nicely packed up in a tall moving box from when we moved, but then as I've gone to dig out one thing or another (cloth dipes to lend to a friend, carriers to demonstrate to another friend, preemie outfit for DD's doll!) the clothes and stuff on top have kind of come out of there and ended up migrating all over the basement. I'm sorting them out, picking out things to keep and deciding what to give away or sell.

P.S. Hope you all don't mind that I'm including things in here that aren't strictly "by the book", I am using the book a lot though for inspiration and new ways to think about our space.
#67 of 99 Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Kavita,

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing, please continue to do so. I love hearing what you are up to. I too am doing things other than what's just in the book.
I found the books so motivational, but rarely stick to "programs" so we'll see how this goes, or if I just have a fabulously cured apartment at the end of it any way no matter the means to get there, lol.

It's funny that you say that about vases, I found myself without any after a major purge when we moved from MN to CA two and a half years ago. Well, I bought my first vase as well- I got a great deal on a pretty little vase....and then my neighbor (and good friend) borrowed and broke it. So, long story short, I've been thinking about getting another new vase or two sometime soon. I've been using ball and mason jars in the mean time. The flowers I've been getting have been super cute in them any way.

Sorry that I haven't had time to update the roster, it's been a crazy week for me, and I love MDC way too much (read:it's my holdup in this process) so I"ve been disconnecting on purpose because all of this work feels so good. I also have a LO who was exposed to the chicken pox, so we were out doing fun things, now we are chillin' at home for awhile

Good luck to all of you and keep us updated.

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#68 of 99 Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 PM

It's week 2!!! (or whatever week you're on. if you're on a week at all, lol.)

Well, we're making our way around here. I have done a lot of weird obsessive deep cleaning in the past few days. I weeded the cracks between the brick patio pavers in the back patio. There was moss growing between some of them and I found that when I tried to clean the patio off with a hose, the moss started getting blasted out. So that led to an entirely new project. I also scrubbed and cleaned the patio chairs and table. Inside, I deep cleaned the shower surrounding tiles and grout, and the shower caddy thingy, and the tub, and scrubbed the grout between the bathroom floor tiles--turns out that the grout is white and not brown, lol! It looks a lot better. We also cleaned the guest room (family coming to visit) and then vacuumed and mopped the floors in the whole house (well, first floor anyway--not the basement.) Of course with a toddler and two dogs the floors are already needing it again a day or two later!

Meanwhile, DH cleaned a lot in the sunroom (which is somewhat the bane of our existence because it gets filthy really fast and tends to smell mildwey and we didn't have any opportunity to enjoy the room because there wasn't any furniture anyway.) He cleaned the floors and windows, and picked up the loveseat/settee we ordered for there. The chairs will be delivered on Thursday. Anyway, it looks a lot nicer now. I also got a few more hanging plants for in there, and some little lights and a cool photo print and a hanging candle holder. So in the next couple of days we'll work on getting that totally put together (and maybe return any decorative items that don't work/we don't need.)

As I was out scraping the skin off my fingertips weeding the brick cracks this weekend, I had a little epiphany. I had been reading some article about finances (something like "five financial mistakes that will doom you" or something like that) and they were giving some warning about not having your mortgage cost more than 23% of your income or something for optimal financial wellbeing. I had gotten curious about what actual percentage of our mortgage is relative to our gross income and figured it out, and we were well within that zone. So as I was weeding, I was starting to think about our state of being overwhelmed with the house and yard a lot, and about my DH's reluctance to hire people for anything and his preference to try to save money by doing it himself or actually by not doing it at all. I suddenly realized that we are looking at maintenance in the absolute wrong way--like any maintenance that isn't immediately threatening (like a overflowing toilet or a roof leak or something like that) is sort of an optional item, and we feel guilty/anxious spending money on it. This guilt and anxiety includes things too like buying bigger ticket items needed to furnish a home (like furniture, TV, whatever.) I just suddenly realized that this is as stupid as feeling guilty for spending money when you are paying your property taxes, or paying your homeowner's insurance. We don't have any feelings of guilt or anxiety about paying those expenses, we just accept them as natural parts of the expense of homeownership that are inevitable and normal and we just write a check. And, we have money planned and alloted for our mortgage each month. So really, we need to just think of it the same way, and consider the cost of maintaining and furnishing our home as just a part of homewonership, the same way we consider the mortgage.
#69 of 99 Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Nice, Kavita! It is inspirational to read your posts. I am mostly at home for the next two days and I plan to finish my week 2 kitchen deep clean. Working on it right now, just taking a little break. I thought it would be nice to put a face mask on and do a little deep cleaning of my skin at the same time . I need to do the oven today, and I think I'm just going to buy some new plates for the stove, the silver ones that go under the burners. I haven't been able to get them clean since we moved in. Maybe my apartment manager will just order some, I should check on that first.

I'm going to have my friend come over and give me her opinion on where to put things in the kitchen, she's awesome at organizing and I just can't seem to get it right in my tiny weird kitchen with tall cupboards (I'm 5'2", lol) I realized last night that I need someone else's opinion, I'm not making much sense of it all. She helped me with my closet, and there's no way I would've known that buying a simple rack at the hardware store would solve that problem!

Wish me luck today, hope you all have productive days as well!

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#70 of 99 Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM

I don't have the book yet:-(

We've banned toys from being in the living/dining rooms. Allowed only during the day for specific play, otherwise must be put away in the kids room.

It's so nice to be able to walk through there without tripping on toys!

next step for me is to clear off our bench near the front door. It's currently covered with library books, my books, DD's books, DH's tools and various bits and pieces. CAn I get it done today??

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#71 of 99 Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM

I just finished reading the book (I read it cover to cover over just a few days) and totally rearanged my livingroom furniture. It looks GREAT!! I'm so excited. I got everything out of the livingroom that doesn't belong, and everything here has a place to live. Now, even when the kids toys explode all over it, it's pretty easy to pick back up quickly. I also moved furniture in the dining room. It's not as dramatic of a change, but it does work better for the family. I really love all the ideas in there. I wish I could paint, but I don't think that;s an option in my apartment.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#72 of 99 Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
I just finished reading the book (I read it cover to cover over just a few days) and totally rearanged my livingroom furniture. It looks GREAT!! I'm so excited. I got everything out of the livingroom that doesn't belong, and everything here has a place to live. Now, even when the kids toys explode all over it, it's pretty easy to pick back up quickly. I also moved furniture in the dining room. It's not as dramatic of a change, but it does work better for the family. I really love all the ideas in there. I wish I could paint, but I don't think that;s an option in my apartment.
yay! : I love our new flow as well. Today, I need to empty my "outbox", or my trunk because I don't have room for one in my apt.

Still working on the kitchen, it's coming along .

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#73 of 99 Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 AM

Wedding pics are framed!!!!!!!! ::::: DH is hanging them now.

(And I've only been married for five years! Cough, cough.)

Sister and family arrive tomorrow afternoon/evening. Woo hoo!!! Lots of last minute things to do, finish up some of this hanging/decorating. Tomorrow I'll clean house and rearrange the guest room. It was basically clean, but of course with toddler/dogs it gets dirty immediately. I think a little spiffing up will do, though.
#74 of 99 Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM

Yea! just got notice from my library this morning that the copy I reserved is available. I'll be picking it up later today and hopefully get some reading time in today, since today is DH's day off. Sorry I'm beginning so late!

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#75 of 99 Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
Wedding pics are framed!!!!!!!! ::::: DH is hanging them now.

(And I've only been married for five years! Cough, cough.)

Sister and family arrive tomorrow afternoon/evening. Woo hoo!!! Lots of last minute things to do, finish up some of this hanging/decorating. Tomorrow I'll clean house and rearrange the guest room. It was basically clean, but of course with toddler/dogs it gets dirty immediately. I think a little spiffing up will do, though.
I have a bunch of frames I bought that have been sitting in my closet for months. I wanted to put in some wedding pics(also married 5yrs ago) and of my DS. This has been bugging me too and I just need to pick out the pics then have DH hang them. My problem is I don't know which way to hang them on the wall so until I decide which way I am stuck. Their a group of white frames but I just don't know how to group them together.
#76 of 99 Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
I have a bunch of frames I bought that have been sitting in my closet for months. I wanted to put in some wedding pics(also married 5yrs ago) and of my DS. This has been bugging me too and I just need to pick out the pics then have DH hang them. My problem is I don't know which way to hang them on the wall so until I decide which way I am stuck. Their a group of white frames but I just don't know how to group them together.

Do it! It feels great!!!! :::
#77 of 99 Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Um, it's a week later and nobody's posted--did I kill the thread?

Continuing work over here--we are taking things a little bit out of order but I got my guest room set for our guests, and then took some time off of all but the most basic house stuff to do things with them, and now I've started doing some decluttering in the drawers, basement desk area, closets, etc. I am really enjoying my new fluffy bath towel that I bought too!

One big blockage is that we have things that have material value that we need/want to sell, but this is not our forte. One is even a really big thing--we have a fridge that we moved from our old house because it was pretty new and we loved it, but it doesn't even fit through the doors here, much less in the kitchen! So it's been sitting in the garage. We posted it on Craigslist and got a lot of responses but then nobody followed up. So, there it sits. I am going to get that done within the next six weeks, though!
#78 of 99 Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 PM

I'm going on vacation to Canada for a month so I have not accomplished much other than chasing and cleaning up after my super active climbing toddler. I've also been off in la la land stressing about everything I need to do before leaving. Hopefully, when I return in September I'll continue on with my projects. I'll be checking the thread though. Kavita, do you have any pics of the frames you hung on your wall? I don't know how to group the set of frames I have. They are all different sizes and I'm stuck. I guess I could take a pic of them and see if anyone can help me.
#79 of 99 Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM

I'm back! The move is finally over and we are in our new home : That was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders!! I was able to pick up the book yesterday at the library and started to read it. I haven't gotten far, but I like what it has to say so far! I'll update more later once I read a bit more

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#80 of 99 Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
p.s

Hi:
may I join? ordered the book on Amazon and it should arrive by Mon! so excited to cure our home too.

BTW, I love reading everyone's posts and find them so inspirational.

Kavita: just wanted to let you know I esp. am so motivated by your wonderfully descriptive, conversational posts . i suspect your posts do not kill the thread... but rather motivate everyone to go cure their homes and not waste any time OL!
#81 of 99 Old 08-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Aw, thanks, ps! :

es1967--I don't have pics of the frames. Basically the living room has three frames hung up now, and all are plain black frames with white mattings. One is a square black frame (15x15?) with a big matting with the definition of family printed on the matting and then a 5x5 black and white photo of us as a family when DD was a month old. Under that is a horizontal composite frame with three black and white 4x6 photojournalistic wedding photos. There is also a vertical composite frame for three photos that's in the basement that we will hang next to those if/when we have three other black and white photos that will fit and look good in there. On the opposite wall, there is one 8x10 color wedding portrait, matted so the whole thing is 11x16. The photo is a closeup of our faces/torsos, so 8x10 was big enough. I'm happy with them, and think they look good!

In the bedroom I put one frame on the dresser with a 5x7 of DH and I kissing at our (american) wedding. Then on the wall is a larger frame/larger matting with a 5x7 of DH and I at a meaningful moment in our Hindu wedding ceremony in India (DH is Indian so we had another wedding ceremony in India with his family in attendance.) Both those sets of frames are a muted gold/metallic since that's what looks best in there and matches the frame on our ketubah (Jewish wedding contract. yep, it's quite the interfaith marriage going on here!)

I think that it's important to keep in mind that sometimes less can be more when it comes to framed photos--just a few that you love is better than having a whole ton of them. I think when you have a ton of photos they sort of compete with each other for attention and reduces the impact of each individual photo. JHMO. Also, things in groups of odd numbers are supposed to be more visually interesting than even numbers. So three photos grouped together is better than two photos, generally. If you take a pic I'll totally look at them and give you my opinion if you want!
#82 of 99 Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
p.s

everyone busy working on their steps?

got my copy in the mail 2 d ago and am lovin'! reading through it.
to all of you who posted good encouragement about this gem of a book. once i start, will also post my progress.
#83 of 99 Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Good evening (or good morning, I suppose) everyone,

Sorry to be MIA! I had a crazy adventure with the chicken pox that we're done with now, and then surprise house guests for 4 days (rolls eyes) but it makes me so happy to hear everyone's progress.

I too have been married 4 years and need to frame some wedding pics..it was the only thing that I insisted on spending money on- the photographer-so I should really show off her beautiful work.

I've been really crazy this week but I did accomplish a lot of my fix it list. I really honestly haven't made it all the way through my kitchen deep clean, but I'm working on it, I promise.

Alright, I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow is the farmer's market and a playdate for my now healthy LO, then I'm tackling laundry (guests are leaving) and my bedroom. I still haven't found my wedding ring, wish me luck!

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#84 of 99 Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Have we run aground with the apartment therapy?

Personally, I've deviated from it and have been distracted and onto other matters lately. DD just started preschool (first kid and her first time in preschool or regular out of home care) on Monday, so getting that all set up has taken most of my attention--paperwork, supplies, new shoes since she can't wear sandals and needed new tennies, figuring out packing little nut-free snacks for her for snack time, visiting the school, parent orientation, getting into our new routine, etc.

However, I've been doing some free-style decluttering and organizing! I think that's my greatest need right now. The basement and garage have been driving me crazy, whereas my kitchen is actually in pretty good shape, so I've been focusing in on that. I have been working on laundry too--I have a lot of things that are handwash only (which I do on the machine's handwash cycle) or that need to be washed by themselves, and those have built up in recent months. I have almost all of that stuff washed now, as well as the regular ongoing laundry kept up. One frustrating thing was that I finally got it together to take some things (Indian clothing, sari blouses and salwars) to the dry cleaners, and they wouldn't clean them!!! They just weren't sure if any of the sequins or beads or whatnot would come off and so sent them home with me uncleaned!! So that's currently sitting in the trunk of my car awaiting its fate. But the piles in the laundry area are almost gone. Now I'm going to start washing all the baby stuff that was boxed from the move--it sort of ended up all over the floor from digging through it to find this or that, and the basement floor is perhaps not the cleanest place. After it's all washed I'm going to sort, fold, and put in a more appropriate and organized storage. We're hoping to have another baby in the next year or so, and so we're saving the clothes and stuff that we really like. We cleared a lot of crap in the garage too this past Sunday--there is a yard sale in our future!

I also have done a few more little projects in the rest of the house--a drawer or closet here or there, going through the filing cabinet, etc. And then Monday and today while DD was at preschool I started a project that's making me happy--I decluttered and revamped my stationery box. I have this beautiful paisley/floral printed fabric covered box (with a little window in it) where I keep greeting cards, note cards, postcards, stationery, stamps, address labels, etc. I realized that I had too many unusable things in there (like leftover envelopes that don't fit anything, notecards that I will never use, etc.) but that I often don't have stationery that I like/want to use when it comes time to write a letter or send a note/card. So I went through it, took out things that I don't like/won't use, and then also bought myself some nice new pretty stationery/matching envelopes. I got a nice small address book to put all the addresses of people who I want to actually correspond with (as opposed to former work addresses, people I'm not in touch with anymore, etc.) and am going to fill it out and keep it with that box. I started doing that as well today. And I went to the post office today and brought all my stamps in with me, and then bought corresponding stamps for each of the stamps that I have, so that they are usable. (Because the postage rates went up in May and I still have postcard stamps, first class stamps, and international stamps at the previous rates, but I didn't want to just buy random numbers of 1 cent and 4 cent stamps.) So now I also have proper postage in there too. I think my next move is to print some nice pretty return address labels in my name--since all the freebie ones we get are invariably in my husband's name only, or list my name and first initial weirdly together with his. Since he hasn't written a letter or sent a card to anybody since I've known him, I feel weird sending things in my own name and then having his name on the return address, iykwim. It makes me feel like an antique in one way, and seems redundant in the age of email, but I still feel like nothing can replace the feeling of getting a handwritten note or letter from somebody--there is just something gracious and feminine and pleasantly old fashioned about it. And it makes me feel happy to have beautiful stationery and pens that write well and stamps and addresses right there, so that I can take this box with me to the coffeshop or even just in the car, and write a card or letter while DD is at preschool and I have some time to myself.

cece, how'd the kitchen deep clean go? And did you ever end up finding your wedding ring? Hope so!!
#85 of 99 Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 PM

This book sounds really neat, but they dont have it at my library, half price books, or barnes and noble. I may order it though.
#86 of 99 Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Kavita,

The Kitchen deep clean was put on hold because...drumroll please...my SIL arrived for a 4 day visit with a one day notice with her boyfriend...in my two bedroom one bathroom home, followed not a week later by her sister and daughter. The latter I didn't mind at all, but I was wiped out from the first sister and her inability to be a good houseguest. I'm not even going to get into it here, it's not worth it but dang that was exhausting to say the least! She's gone :. Really, the best part of her visit was that she actually listened to me and she DIDN't BRING ANYTHING for DD! yay:! She didn't even buy her anything while she was here. She's big on spoiling her. Last time she came she asked what her favorite characters were (rolls eyes). Oh, her favorite book characters are... I told her the best thing she could bring her is organic strawberries, which is precisely what she brought. My LO indulged her by showing just how crazy she is for fruit. I'm so glad that she is (kinda, sorta) catching on. It's not the holidays yet, so I'll try not to speak to soon, lol.

Thank you for asking, but I have yet to find my wedding ring. While on the one hand, I really liked my ring, it was vintage style hand engraved platinum, I'm also okay with it. I'll keep hoping I run into it sometime or another.

I'm getting another copy of the book tomorrow (had to return to the library) and I am going to get going again on all of this, re read some sections and whatnot. I do think of what I read there all the time though!

K. Off to bed..night!

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#87 of 99 Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM

Just popping in to post, as I'm bored and need some motivation to continue with the house thing!

DD and I were sick over the weekend and until about yesterday and my neck was so kinked that I was in actual pain, so she was out of preschool Monday and we went to the chiro. I've gotten a few things done, however, but progress has been slow. Today she seems better and was back at preschool, so maybe we'll get into action again!

We've done a lot of sorting of baby clothes from the basement, and then needing to rewash them in order to store them, as they had gotten kind of yukky laying on the floor in the basement!! The baby clothes thread on here though has somewhat reduced my motivation and made me want to chuck a lot more of them out!! This issue is made more complicated because my sister (who lives 7 1/2 hours drive away) had given me all the clothes from my niece (who is now almost 7.) So I barely ever had to buy any clothes at all for DD, and in fact, we often felt like we had too many clothes, more than we would have gotten ourselves if they weren't just given to us. I didn't realize that she (my sis) gave me everything and didn't save any special outfits from my niece, and that she wanted to keep a few cute things from each stage--I thought that I was free to use and pass on, as they aren't having any more kids and she gave them all to me. I had already donated/given away seriously bags and bags of baby clothes, many of them formerly hers, including some she might have wanted to keep, only I didn't realize that at the time. Whoops!! Then I felt really bad, so of course I am not getting rid of anything now!! I want to give her the choice to pick what she wants--unfortunately, since she lives far away and we didn't get around to this during the 1 time she's visited us, I am going to have to take pictures of every single freaking thing, email them to her, and then wait to see what she wants before moving anything out of my house. : So that's just a lot more work and kind of time-consuming.

On the positive note, I got my new address book filled out nicely, and that feels really good. We may even send out a holiday card/letter thingamabob this year--which we have never done, particularly since we're not Christian, but we do enjoy getting them from other folks and so might want to jump into the seasonal fray and keep in touch with folks.

I also got a budget book and am going to work on getting our finances under better control, and have sorted out some things in the office area downstairs. I made a cleaning and housework schedule, which I can already see is probably going to need some modification as it kicked my butt yesterday! I detail vacuumed almost the entire ground floor (it's a 3 bedroom ranch so it's everything but the basement) and mopped a lot of it (it's all hardwood except tile in the bathroom, vinyl in the kitchen and sunroom. There was an unbelievable amount of dirt and dog hair--and the sad part of it is that my DH had actually just vacuumed and mopped late last week, and it was still totally filthy. I am contemplating getting a new vacuum, as the one we have is designed in such a way that there is a lovely stream of air that forcefully blows from the front above the vacuumer-thing, which ends up blowing the dust and hair around and sending it flying up into the air, where it then settles onto high surfaces that I've just dusted or cleaned--like in the kitchen it puts fine dust and hair onto the back ledge of the stove! :

I also deep cleaned our sunroom which has my entire collection of china teacups and teapots on shelves (it's sort of my tearoom) and they tend to get dusty and a little hairy over time because the dogs spend a lot of time in there, and it's the entry point for them to go in and out from the backyard. Everything was taken down, the shelves were cleaned, the china was all handwashed, and it was all rearranged nicely. So that feels nice and DD and I are having a lot of tea parties now.

I still have a lot of stuff to do for DD's preschool--I have to make a photo collage of our family on a page of cardstock they gave me. As I've mentioned, photos aren't my strong suit, so it's a challenge for me. I also have to fill out a bunch of paperwork they just gave me today, and figure out a job there (it's a parent co-op and we need to average 3 hours per month) so that's a little annoying--I feel like *I'm* back in school again!

Well, that's all folks! Anybody else still plugging away? What are you doing this week?
#88 of 99 Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 AM

subbing
#89 of 99 Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
I love his style of writing, and his stories about helping various people in NYC are really fun to read. Of course, this is coming from a man who lived with his wife and a babe in a 265 sq ft. apartment! I'm buying this one for sure.
Just a bit of inside info:
The guy actually has a family fortune and huge house in the Hamptons to go along with it, which is where he, his wife and baby would spend a lot of time (out of the tiny apartment). I guess I've heard he's a bit of a fraud. But there are some good ideas! Oh well!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#90 of 99 Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
p.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
Just a bit of inside info:
The guy actually has a family fortune and huge house in the Hamptons to go along with it, which is where he, his wife and baby would spend a lot of time (out of the tiny apartment). I guess I've heard he's a bit of a fraud. But there are some good ideas! Oh well!
I'm not sure where the fraud part was concluded as I don't think M.G. ever passed himself off as poor nor living in his 265 sq ft apt 24/7. Sounds like jealousy/ envy/ cattiness.
Currently reading through Apt Therapy the second time; excellent IMO.
I also got the AT book on interiors designed, hardbound, with lots of luscious pics and ideas. M.G.'s own apt is featured (and also available to view on the AT website), and it is clearly not low budget. Having a family fortune probably enabled him to start up AT and also to gorgeously design that <300 sq ft apt (rented) which has provided tons of inspiration for those interested in decluttering and spiffing up their homes NON- Ikea style.

FTR, he has moved into an almost triple sized space and is logging its progressing rehab on the AT space... including a most recent purchase of a sofa that cost several thousand $$. I'm glad he was able to share that as I was unfamiliar with that style of sofa and the store from which he bought it. oh, and he's keeping the rehabbed <300 sq ft apt for visiting friends and family (per the AT website). So any clear thinking person can conclude they have some disposable income.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page