Apartment Therapy 8 Step Home Cure!-Roster added 7/16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I requested some AT books from the library, thinking they would be fun to look at and get organizing/decorating ideas. I had no idea that I would be getting this amazing book about decluttering/organizing/therapy . It's so awesome, I had no idea that Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, who founded AT, used to be a Waldorf Teacher. How cool is that? He helped parents of his students to arrange their homes, too!

From the back cover:

Week by week, Apartment Therapy will guide you to treat common problems, eliminate clutter, and revamp even the tiniest space.

I love his style of writing, and his stories about helping various people in NYC are really fun to read. Of course, this is coming from a man who lived with his wife and a babe in a 265 sq ft. apartment! I'm buying this one for sure.

Here's the Roster, pm me or post if you want to join us! If I didn't put you on the list, I didn't know if you want to do it so just let me know! Post here and let us know how you're doing. I think we should all post a final home tour (ahem photos) as part of our process. I'm going to be very daring ( I know lots of people here IRL and post some before pics. I dare you!

Week 1:
cece Cleaned floors, purchased flowers, donated a few board games, clothes,
es1967
kellid
liontigerbear Shampooed carpets, addressed the flow of her living room. Nice work, mama!
racheloperasinger
zoomom
miss_sonja
mamaheids
contentmom
kavita

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I forgot to mention that if anyone wants to do the 8 week cure with me, that would rock! Let me know if you're interested.

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 PM

I'm about to put LO down for a nap but I want to come back to this later. It sounds intriguing.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#4 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
mtm

ooh, I'm interested! Can you post his tips and we'll work along with you?
#5 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
His book is fabulous, with lots of really helpful guidelines. For example, the 80/20 rule -- use 80% neutral colour and 20% accent colour in a room...it really works . Another is the 50/50 rule -- have 50% hard surfaces and 50% soft surfaces. Obviously these are just guidelines but he really describes how to make a house a home and living in small NYC homes decluttering is a critical skill! I don't think that I'm up for doing the Cure, but I definitely find his book inspiring and I have referred back to it a few times so it's a keeper on my bookshelf .

For those who haven't seen it the Apartment Therapy web site is awesome, especially the Small Cool contest house tours.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#6 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM

what's the book title?

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#7 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
what's the book title?
Apartment Therapy 8 step Home cure

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#8 of 99 Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
ooh, I'm interested! Can you post his tips and we'll work along with you?
Hmm, I thought about this, and I don't think it would be the same if you didn't read the book. There's just so much to take in, there's a quiz at the beginning, and it goes through each step in depth.

As a disclaimer, I do not work for Apartment Therapy, lol. I just think if you can borrow or buy the book, that would work the best. I will definitely post what I'm doing each week and my results to help me keep on track.

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#9 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 AM

I would loooooooove to do a Cure though I'm not sure what room/area to tackle... Have you been to the web site? They have groups of people register and do the cure and post pics along the way to support and encourage one another. I wonder if we could get a family-specific one hosted on apartmenttherapy.com? Maybe on their kids space when they do a fall one? I don't think there's another one there until fall. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/s...xt-week-043757

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#10 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 AM

I would loooooooove to do a Cure though I'm not sure what room/area to tackle... Have you been to the web site? They have groups of people register and do the cure and post pics along the way to support and encourage one another. I wonder if we emailed Maxwell if we could get a family-specific one hosted on apartmenttherapy.com? Maybe on their kids space? If there's interest, I'll email and see if it's possible. He is TOTALLY what I would expect of a former Waldorf teacher in tone and personality btw.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#11 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I would loooooooove to do a Cure though I'm not sure what room/area to tackle... Have you been to the web site? They have groups of people register and do the cure and post pics along the way to support and encourage one another. I wonder if we emailed Maxwell if we could get a family-specific one hosted on apartmenttherapy.com? Maybe on their kids space? If there's interest, I'll email and see if it's possible. He is TOTALLY what I would expect of a former Waldorf teacher in tone and personality btw.
Oh yes, I LOVE the blog! It's my fun daily indulgence. I get a lot of inspiration there.

"Starting next week we're going to form online Cure groups in each of our four cities dedicated to making at least ONE home improvement - major or minor -in the next eight weeks. All the information will be right here on our front page. Offline, our book, Apartment Therapy, will lead you through the eight weeks and the basic cure requires minimal expense as it takes you from room to room and helps you declutter, organize and clean your home"

I am doing the eight week basic Cure instead of the one room one home improvement Cure. It sounds like they are not posting the information from the book regarding the basic Cure, I'm sure to get people to read their book .

BTW, if any of you haven't seen it, here are pics of the author's former apartment (265 sq feet) that he lived in with his wife and babe.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/h...is-cool-019406

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#12 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
Oh yes, I LOVE the blog! It's my fun daily indulgence. I get a lot of inspiration there.

"Starting next week we're going to form online Cure groups in each of our four cities dedicated to making at least ONE home improvement - major or minor -in the next eight weeks. All the information will be right here on our front page. Offline, our book, Apartment Therapy, will lead you through the eight weeks and the basic cure requires minimal expense as it takes you from room to room and helps you declutter, organize and clean your home"

I am doing the eight week basic Cure instead of the one room one home improvement Cure. It sounds like they are not posting the information from the book regarding the basic Cure, I'm sure to get people to read their book .

BTW, if any of you haven't seen it, here are pics of the author's former apartment (265 sq feet) that he lived in with his wife and babe.

Ooh, thanks, I hadn't seen that before, how cool! They have really good storage solutions, I'm jealous!
#13 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

Sounds like a great book! Thank you for posting about it. I checked online and my local library has it on the shelf right now, so I am on my way to pick it up. I can't wait to read it! :
#14 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post

That's awesome! I sent the link to my sister, she's living in a very small apartment in the city and I think she's feeling cramped -- hopefully it will inspire her. I know a couple of the apartments made me feel motivated!!

I especially love the ones that are "apartment white" because usually wall color is such an important part of design, and we can't paint ours. So seeing how other people have very non-bland, non-boring spaces with that wall color is SO helpful!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#15 of 99 Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM

I'm in- I might have to wait a few weeks to get it from my library though! I just requested it. Can't wait to dig in. Of course I have always love to READ more about organizing than I actually like to DO it. LOL

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#16 of 99 Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 AM

I've got it on hold at the library. Can't wait!

I've been doing more decluttering, and discussing it on my blog: www.confessionsofahoarder.blogspot.com

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#17 of 99 Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContentMom View Post
Sounds like a great book! Thank you for posting about it. I checked online and my local library has it on the shelf right now, so I am on my way to pick it up. I can't wait to read it! :
What do you think? Would you like to join me?

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#18 of 99 Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM

Well, I ordered the book, so give me a week and maybe I'll join you!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#19 of 99 Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 PM

I just placed this on hold at the library and will venture there tomorrow to pick it up! I think having others that are going through the steps would be great encouragement- count me in!
#20 of 99 Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 PM

I love the link to the pics of the apartment. I saw them on Oprah. We live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with a great view of the water and love it. Everyone thinks we should have a house. Space is cramped now that we have a child (21 months). I would love to join in on this too. I'm decluttering all the time and want to do some redecorating. I just can't keep up with all the stuff and we really don't buy that much! Going to the library in the morning to check on this book.
#21 of 99 Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaheids View Post
Of course I have always love to READ more about organizing than I actually like to DO it. LOL
Oh boy do I hear you on this one. either reading about decluttering or looking at pics of lovely houses.
#22 of 99 Old 07-12-2008, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

So, I'm going to start on Monday, can anyone else join me then? The weekends are too much of a crazy time for me to start anything .

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#23 of 99 Old 07-12-2008, 08:35 AM

I probably won't get my book till Tuesday or Wednesday.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#24 of 99 Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 PM

The library called and said the book was returned-yippee! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'm in for Monday.
#25 of 99 Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 PM

I picked my copy up yesterday- I'm in for Monday
#26 of 99 Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

LionTigerBear,
I tried to pm ya, but your box is full (popular mama )

10.26.12 (HBAC!)

#27 of 99 Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM

I'm so sorry, I just cleared it out.

#28 of 99 Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM

I started reading the book last night. Very interesting.
#29 of 99 Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Oh, perfect! We're moving into our new (small) house this week and I have requested the book through inter-library loan. I can't wait to do this with you all!

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#30 of 99 Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM

i just searched my libraries search engine (about 7 other libraries on the engine) and it laughed at me......uncontrollably. i guess i might have to look into purchasing it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page