help with rearranging the apartment setup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-12-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is going to be a little disjointed but I hope it's kind of clear.
WE've been here for 3 years now, the dh promising since we first moved in that we'd be moving "soon" in a few months, and so on, and I never really made it the best that it could be for many reasons. Serious post partum depression rendering me unable to organize a single linen shelf, never mind the apartment(moved here when I Was 8 mos with my first), why put the money and effort in if we're leaving etc etc etc. Now I've an almost 3 year old and a 1 year old and I'm getting the idea that we're not going anywhere. Ordinarily I'd just make it happen myself (I'm the make it happen person in the marriage) but this is not my native country or language, my husband is gone more than not, and I'm barely hanging on with just the kids and the idea of trying to figure out how to get out of town (I don't drive) is too much. SO now that my husband is like, never home, even at night, I want to make this place really suit the kids and I. For example, one of our three "bedrooms" was devoted to being his office. Only, it was just a junk storage room.. no desk, he never actually goes in there except to dump his keys and backpack after work, and to put tools and stuff, and garbage in. I decided to clean out that room and make it into a small sitting room/massage room with a desk. I hope to practice massage therapy for a few hours here and there with the aid of a babysitter, for my sanity.

The living room and dining room and kitchen are great, the kids play in the living room and on the balcony, it's huge and has a full wall of windows and is the best place to be because it is so bright and cheerful.

Now the bedroom setup.. and this is the problem.

On the one side of the apartment we have the "big" bedroom, and for Euro standards it is huge. My husband and oldest son sleep in there. It has the toddler bed and my husband's bed in there and that is it. 2/3 of the space is just space.

Beside it is the bathroom, and on the other side of the bathroom is a smaller bedroom where I sleep with the baby (1 year old, they're both way too noisy and wakeful to sleep in the same room yet) and then outside of my room between it and the rest of the house is a not really closed off narrow room which is used as a clothing and storage space. We have our 2 grownup ikea closets in there, a wall of shelves which have tubs that have the kids clothes in it, boxes of the rotated toys up high on the shelves, and a dresser. We've had the clothes out there instead of in the bedrooms so that we can get dressed and do things while the babies are still in bed.

It just feels like such a waste of space!!! Most of the time my toddler is alone in that massive bedroom!! I'm almost considering moving the baby and I in there to give it a go, but I am not sure if the toddler can deal with the baby's loud waking, and my snoring. I've noticed when I'm snuggling the toddler to sleep for night wakings, and I fall asleep on his bed and start snoring he goes "mama!" and wakes me up again. Also, the 2 year old is very demanding, the minute he gets up he is loud and running around and wanting me to be on my toes. When I'm in the other room and I hear him come out I generally jump out of bed and rush out of the room to try to let the baby sleep just a little longer in the morning. Sleep is the biggest concern and frustration in my life.

IF anyone has made it this far thanks... and any ideas? I want a functional and pleasing place... and feel like 1/2 the actual space is not being used advantageously. Btw. we're about 1100 square feet altogether.
#2 of 2 Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably am going to miss a bunch, but I would put the kids together in the smallest room, since kids really only sleep there. What about bunk beds? We have our 4 and 2 year old in bunks and they love it. You could run a white noise 'something' (fan, classical radio, etc) to keep the noise of one from waking another. Then their clothes can go in their room and your clothes can go in your room. If your bed fits, I would use the second smallest bedroom for the parents bedroom, complete with clothing etc. Then the largest room, could be a office/massage room. Or you could use the area you are using for toy storage or desk space. Or it could be a dress up 'puppet theatre', put a drape up and let them have a fun space.

As far as the three year old being rambunctious in the morning.....to not wake up the baby, the white noise may mask some of it, another idea is to have their clothing picked out before bed for the following day and have him race to the potty and get dressed in there. I don't think it is out of range to teach the 3 year old to be respectful of those sleeping. He can get up and read or have cereal and bowls for him to make himself a bite to eat.

We have a rambuntious wakeful 4 year old and about 1.5 years ago I started giving him responsibilities in the AM, so that I could sleep a bit more and he really dug the freedom. So now he gets up and does the potty thing and often just watches the world wake up. He has also learned to sleep in a bit.

That is what I took of it... good luck!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page