Natural home fragrance.. building upon crunchydoula's post - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cleanliness and ventilation is the first step of course .

I have found that using cleaning products that are scented actually leaves a nice smell residue, especially in small rooms like bathrooms. Stuff that you use every day leaves more of a "smell imprint" on the home than products for scenting that you just use periodically.
  • bathroom: Dr. Bronner's lavender liquid soap in our hand soap dispensers and nice-smelling bath soap (natural scents)
  • kitchen: tangerine-scented environmentally friendly dishwashing liquid
  • everywhere: surface spray made of diluted orange oil cleaner (like Citrasolve) with a few drops of geranium oil (geranium really smells fresh & clean)

I also love the smell of Murphy Oil Soap .

I have tried various scent distributors. I had a plug-in one from the Body Shop but I found that it heated the essential oil too much and it got too stinky. Same with the candle diffusers. I like the idea of a cold essential oil diffuser, but I haven't tried one. But it seems that in general those things give too big a blast of smell. Same problem with scented candles -- I find I have to burn them for a very short time or it's too much, and the smells are often too artificial.

The original reed diffusers really work and smell lovely but they are $$.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#32 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Do share how you do this and I can share some tips as well!

For 10 years I had hardwood floors thru my whole house and now our upper level is carpeted until we put in hardwood in this house.
I got this trick on MDC, somewhere. You take a bunch of baking soda, mix some cinnamon into it, sprinkle it directly onto the carpet, and then vacuum it up! I think it would work better with a flour sifter or a giant pepper shaker or something that distributes powder a little more evenly than the way I was doing it. But it smells so fresh as you vacuum it up! Plus, the next time you vacuum, it smells like cinnamon again. Bonus.

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#33 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Cleanliness and ventilation is the first step of course .

Stuff that you use every day leaves more of a "smell imprint" on the home than products for scenting that you just use periodically.
ITA!

People always say our house smells great and ask me what I use. In general, I think it is just the stuff we use every day... that and we keep our windows open at least a crack for a little while every single day of the year (select windows/doors for cross-breezes and freshening purposes).

I mostly clean with baking soda, white vinegar, and water. The house just smells clean afterwards. I clean little spaces every day, unless there is some reason why I need the whole house spotlessly and immaculately clean all at the same time, which is rare. Even when we are expecting company, I generally do a little bit every day for a week or so. I just do more in-depth...spend 30-45 minutes a day versus my usual 15-20 minutes per day.

We use nice smelling products on a daily basis, such as Biokleen dishwashing liquid (some citrus scent) and Ecover dishwasher detergent (also a citrus scent) and liquid soaps (varies by season) and bath/body products (varies by season). I tend to prefer vanilla scents in the winter, light floral scents in the spring, citrus scents in the summer, and I mix it up in the Fall. We don't really have a traditional Fall season anyway.

Personally, I find keeping the kitchen clean the best way to keep the entire house smelling great. We often have our sliding glass door open in the kitchen and the front door open to create a cross-breeze that quickly removes any cooking odors. I wash up the dishes each evening after dinner and DH cleans up his breakfast dishes and pans before going to work (he cooks breakfast nearly every day). Cooking veggies more than meats also helps. Grilling definitely keeps the house smelling better, too, IMO. Avoiding frying foods also helps, even in olive oil (which we do sometimes). Washing down the walls in the kitchen (daily or weekly) works well to minimize cooking odors.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#34 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM

I agree, sunnysandiegan, those kitchen smells can permeate the house. It makes a big difference at our place when I remember to use the fan above the stove when I'm cooking.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#35 of 38 Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
ITA!

Personally, I find keeping the kitchen clean the best way to keep the entire house smelling great. We often have our sliding glass door open in the kitchen and the front door open to create a cross-breeze that quickly removes any cooking odors. I wash up the dishes each evening after dinner and DH cleans up his breakfast dishes and pans before going to work (he cooks breakfast nearly every day). Cooking veggies more than meats also helps. Grilling definitely keeps the house smelling better, too, IMO. Avoiding frying foods also helps, even in olive oil (which we do sometimes). Washing down the walls in the kitchen (daily or weekly) works well to minimize cooking odors.
This is great advice for us! We are about to move into a very small house with a kitchen that just opens up into the rest of the house! DH and I are wondering what will happen when we fry fish!:: I guess it's lucky that we're, like, 97% vegetarian anyway, because I shudder to think what it would be likely if we were fryin' up real meat every night! :

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#36 of 38 Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheloperasinger View Post
This is great advice for us! We are about to move into a very small house with a kitchen that just opens up into the rest of the house! DH and I are wondering what will happen when we fry fish!:: I guess it's lucky that we're, like, 97% vegetarian anyway, because I shudder to think what it would be likely if we were fryin' up real meat every night! :
LOL We grill all fish OUTSIDE!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#37 of 38 Old 07-22-2008, 07:53 PM

I have been enjoying this thread as I clean and declutter and look for ways (including use of aroma) to make my home more homey & inviting...and as I was scrolling through the threads, this one again caught my eye as I thought, "WHAT is that horrible smell??!!"

Here's my submission to the thread: Check mousetraps regularly. Especially in 90+ degree weather.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#38 of 38 Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 AM

Don't know how natural this is exactly, but, I used to work in a bakery and they had one of those little tiny potpouri simmering things (that's like a little tiny crockpot) and put artifical vanilla extract/flavoring in it. It makes the place smell really nice and yummy! I've tried the same tactic with natural vanilla extract but it doesn't actually smell as good as the artificial stuff!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page