Natural home fragrance.. building upon crunchydoula's post - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, we are striving toward a 99.9% natural home and we're almost there...

BUT, when we were selling (and showing) our last house, I went out and bought one of those chemical-laden, plug-in air perfumers that smelled like apple cinnamon (it was autumn). And I really kind of liked it! While I do not want anything like this in my home again, how can scent my house more aggressively with natural ingredients?

Any ideas? Boiling mulling spices in a pot? Spraying water with EOs into the air? I don't want to do this every single day, but it's nice sometimes. Oh, and we don't have carpets so I can't do the vacuuming baking soda/cinnamon thing anymore (which I highly recommend!) Give me your tricks! Thanks!

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#2 of 38 Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 PM

Lurking for ideas. I hate to admit it, but we have one of those above the cats' litter box (same scent), and it makes so much difference. Of course, I'm sure that what it's spraying into the air is way more toxic than what the cats leave behind, but....

That, and I'm beginning to notice the chemically smells of things more and more, and it's starting to bug me a bit....

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#3 of 38 Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Sticking a bunch of cloves into a fresh orange and leaving it out on the counter top makes for a wonderful smell and beautiful display!

Sorry I don't know if you want only the smell of apple cinnamon or just other nice smells.
#4 of 38 Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Oooh, I'm glad to see this thread!

I just love how some others homes always smell so 'homey'. I've always wanted that but minus all the plug in's and such, so I'll be watching this thread!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#5 of 38 Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM

I just use essential oils. I have one of the candle diffusers where you put water in the top, add the oil, light the candle and it makes the whole room smell wonderful.

I had a fan diffuser that I liked but it wore out. I'll probably get another one.
#6 of 38 Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

These are great ideas. I so wish I could take those plug-in thingys, dump out the chemicals and pour lavender EO in it! I don't think that would work somehow, though.

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#7 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Oh, I just posted about this on our blog!

Here are a few options:
  • lamp ring diffusers (ceramic ring, put EOs in it, put it on a bulb and then the bulb heats the ring and releases the scent)
  • those reed diffusers (turn over different numbers of reeds in EOs to make more/less smell)
  • soy or beeswax candles
  • EO diffuser lit by a tea candle (this is what we use)

HTH!

ZMom

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#8 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 AM

I love candles, I have one of the candle burners that you dont' have to light the candle for and I leave it where my daughter can't get ahold of it. Its vanilla scented and just leaves the lightest fragence when its turned on. I also have some all natural room scents that I got at the same place I get my daughters diaper creme/powder at (shes really sensitive so I have to special order anything for her-otherwise we get rashes and sores).

The orange and clover thing works really well! My mother and grandma use to do that during the holidays and every time I smell that it reminds me of back home.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to love the lightbulb rings but they don't work on the oddly shaped low energy bulbs.

I recently discovered if I spray the shower curtain with essential oil on a regular basis the bathroom remains nice smelling.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I used to love the lightbulb rings but they don't work on the oddly shaped low energy bulbs.

I recently discovered if I spray the shower curtain with essential oil on a regular basis the bathroom remains nice smelling.
Oooh. I had no idea that they don't work on the low energy bulbs. (I refuse to use them most places in my house because as a photographer, I'm sensitive to light colors and I absolutely HATE the color of light that they produce.

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#11 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM

The low energy bulbs don't usually get very hot so it wouldn't work that way & the shape of them wouldn't really hold the ring so well. I've never actually tried it - I've just assumed.

#12 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Someone should invent one that fits over twisty bulbs. I'll buy it!

#13 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM

#14 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhos View Post
I have one of those too

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#15 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhos View Post
Does it work really well?
#16 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 AM

You could simmer some cinnamon sticks and cloves in water on your stove (or you could do it in a microwave if you have one) for a while. Or in apple juice, then drink your cider a little later for a treat.

Here's my mom's Hot Apple Punch recipe, which I love. I usually think of it as a winter thing, but even on this hot evening, I would go for a glass! I've done it in my slow cooker too.

Combine in a large pot:
2 L apple juice
2/3 c. sugar (optional)
Tie together in a cloth or use a soup spice holder and add to juice mixture:
2 t. whole allspice
2 t. whole cloves
5 cinnamon sticks
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or more.
Add and simmer another 10 minutes:
1 L cranberry juice
2 c. orange juice
Remove spices and serve hot. This punch could simmer for a long time.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#17 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn View Post
You could simmer some cinnamon sticks and cloves in water on your stove (or you could do it in a microwave if you have one) for a while. Or in apple juice, then drink your cider a little later for a treat.

Here's my mom's Hot Apple Punch recipe, which I love. I usually think of it as a winter thing, but even on this hot evening, I would go for a glass! I've done it in my slow cooker too.

Combine in a large pot:
2 L apple juice
2/3 c. sugar (optional)
Tie together in a cloth or use a soup spice holder and add to juice mixture:
2 t. whole allspice
2 t. whole cloves
5 cinnamon sticks
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or more.
Add and simmer another 10 minutes:
1 L cranberry juice
2 c. orange juice
Remove spices and serve hot. This punch could simmer for a long time.
That sounds SOOOOOO good! I must make it!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#18 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 AM

I love vanilla scent the most...sprinkle some in a glass bowl and microwave it with some water and let it steam its scent out into the room

I have heard of sprinkling cinnamon on the stove element on low?

(never tried it)

I have essential oils and a little burner...love lavender
#19 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
Does it work really well?
It works good for scenting one or two rooms, but not a whole house. I usually only leave it plugged in for a few hours, I worry about forgetting about it...but it really diffuses the EO scent well for the room it's in.
#20 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamF View Post
Sticking a bunch of cloves into a fresh orange and leaving it out on the counter top makes for a wonderful smell and beautiful display!

Sorry I don't know if you want only the smell of apple cinnamon or just other nice smells.
YEAH! They're called Pomander balls. I made a basket full for Christmas last December. I put the cloves in decorative patterns (it helps to stab the holes in with a skewer then put the whole clove in). We put them in a basket with those scented pine cones you can get at crafts stores around Christmas. It smelled heavenly. You can also do this with clementines and hang them on a Christmas tree (should you celebrate Christmas).

Also, try to open your windows fairly regularly. It'll help freshen things up (though it won't really ADD any yummy smells).

There's also baking. Nothing makes a house smell better than cookies (especially Snickerdoodles) or brownies in the oven, kwim?
#21 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmom View Post
Oooh. I had no idea that they don't work on the low energy bulbs. (I refuse to use them most places in my house because as a photographer, I'm sensitive to light colors and I absolutely HATE the color of light that they produce.
Treehugger has written about CFLs and light quality. You can actually get a lot of different types of light depending on the type of CFL and the quality. My favorite kind are the "daylight" bulbs but DH likes the warmer ones that seem more like incandescent bulbs.
#22 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 PM

I keep seeing those reed diffusers...the ones in bottles? Do they work? I'm kind of weary but am tired of the stink.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#23 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 11:27 PM

I had a reed diffuser in my office at work & it did NOT work at all. Not even the first day - I couldn't smell anything but my office mates stinkiness - lol!

#24 of 38 Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 PM

Dont know if this was mentioned but you can use Ball Jar lids for ring diffusers. (But do they work on the new style of lightbulbs?)
#25 of 38 Old 07-20-2008, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My closet smells really good because I saved the pine needles from my Christmas tree to sew into little bags. They are just sitting in a plastic grocery bag, waiting, lol. I love how vacuuming after Christmas smells since there are usually pine needles in the vacuum bag and that scent gets released until I change the bag. And I have a clove apple in my t-shirt drawer which lightly scents my clothes.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#26 of 38 Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I keep seeing those reed diffusers...the ones in bottles? Do they work? I'm kind of weary but am tired of the stink.
I bought some of the smaller $5 diffusers from Target and they worked very well. I found the smell to be too strong for me to use all of the time so what I did was buy some bottles of the liquid you're supposed to boil/heat and then I diluted them w/ water and used them as refills. Not only do I get to pick the scent and change it as often as I want, but I can control the strength of the scent and it's much cheaper than buying new reed diffusers all of the time.
Even though I change out the scented liquids, the smell from the previous scent doesn't remain in the reeds.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#27 of 38 Old 07-20-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
hehe just thought this was funny

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#28 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn View Post
So you'll be putting on the next batch of this.. when? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
YEAH! They're called Pomander balls. I made a basket full for Christmas last December. I put the cloves in decorative patterns (it helps to stab the holes in with a skewer then put the whole clove in). We put them in a basket with those scented pine cones you can get at crafts stores around Christmas. It smelled heavenly. You can also do this with clementines and hang them on a Christmas tree (should you celebrate Christmas).
Love those, bonus that they look nice & festive

If you have a garbage disposal.. cut an orange up into small sections and blitz a little bit in it Puts a lovely citrus scent thru the whole kitchen. I'm getting on the bicarb + EO bandwagon and am going to test out some scents for 'crapet sprinkles' (I hate carpet can ya tell lol). I love vanilla as well and get some really nice wax melts from a lady at the weekend markets that are just great. Our house has an awful musty odour due to rising damp thru the foundation (we rent *sigh*) so I am ALWAYS doing one of the above things so that ppl that visit don't think we stink! lol

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#29 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM

fresh flowers and plants will help clean the air

open windows as often as possible

change air filters in your ventilation system every month

boil cinnamon, cloves, etc. in water on the stove

eo on cotton balls is great for small areas, like closets and cabinets

odor collect in fabric, so air out or wash things like throw pillows, curtains, throws every so often
#30 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheloperasinger View Post
Oh, and we don't have carpets so I can't do the vacuuming baking soda/cinnamon thing anymore (which I highly recommend!)
Do share how you do this and I can share some tips as well!

For 10 years I had hardwood floors thru my whole house and now our upper level is carpeted until we put in hardwood in this house.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page