Help me get rid of Silverware - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last weekend we got rid of our "every day" set of dishes. We moved all of our "wedding dishes" to that cabinet, freeing up a new cabinet, and now we get to eat off of beautiful plates and enjoy the ones we like, and someone else can use our old ones. This was a scary transition at first but I'm very happy now. We kept a couple large plates and three bowls to use random little things, just in case we didn't want to use the nicer plates.

Now for the silverware! I have the set I bought over 4 years ago for our first apartment. It's still in great condition (although I think we might have lost a couple table knives). And then there's the wedding gift set. I love this set, the knives and forks and spoons feel so heavy in your hand, they're beautiful, they're polished... and I'm afraid to get rid of our every day set.

What if they get really dull? What if I lose a few pieces? I'm so OCD and what if I have 12 people over and use all of our beautiful plates but don't have enough matching silverware?

I know this is so silly. I've tossed so much else out with abandon. Why can't I do this?
#2 of 2 Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're going to have 12 people over, you'll be double-checking the dishes well before the day of the party. Worst comes to worse, you hit the store and buy a new set of utensils. For that matter, since you'd be okay with mixing in the everyday utensils you're scared of giving up, you can just get whatever you're missing from the thriftstore.

Plus, let's say you do end up missing a salad fork. Don't serve a course that calls for salad forks!

Really don't see how this is any different from breaking a plate or bowl. What would you do if that happened right before a big party? Do that.

As for getting dull, if they aren't silver, they won't, if they are, they'll polish.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page