Accountability for today! :-) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided to post my plan for today as an accountability thread. I love coming here and reading what everyone is doing to declutter and simplify their homes, unfortunately I sometimes use reading this forum to avoid cleaning my own home!

My house is a cluttered, dirty mess right now. Seriously it is bad. I would post pictures but it is embarassing. All through the ENTIRE house you have to step over things to walk and most surfaces are cluttered. It is crazy because our home was so very clean 2 weeks ago when we had DS2s birthday party and before that it wasn't always perfect but it wasn't this bad.

Here are my intentions:
For the rest of the day I am going to do a round robin of the downstairs including the backyard while doing laundry. I will spend 15 minutes in each area taking a break after 45 minutes with the breaks lasting at most 15 minutes. Tomorrow I will work on the upstairs while maintaining the downstairs. I intend to create a clean, simplified environment where the entire family feels comfortable relaxing and spending time.

Here are my areas for today:
Kitchen
Living/Dining Room
Powder Room
Den
Back yard
Laundry

Wow, that feels good to type all of that especially my intentions. Please join me if you like, I love to have company while I clean!

:

SJ
#2 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

A little over 45 minutes down and I:
Kitchen
- put the dishes away with ds1
Laundry
- folded laundry with ds1
- collected & started new load with ds1
Living/Dining
- Collected newspapers and junk mail for recycling
- Collected dirty dishes and put them in dishwasher
- Collected dirty clothes (yes I had dirty clothes from the boys stripping nakked!)
- Put away crayons and coloring books
- Collected items that go upstairs (toys, shoes, magazines)
Powder Room
- Changed water, picked off dying sections and cut shorter the fresh flowers
- Washed sink, mirror, front of cabinet, stool and toilet
- swept floor

And now it is my 15 minutes which I realized won't necessarily be a break but it won't be at the fast pace I was using the previous 45 minutes. I feel very accomplished and enjoyed doing some of this with DS1 even though it slowed me down. :-)
#3 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM

OOOOOHHH this is just what I needed to get my butt off the computer and working

my goals are declutter the following hot spots!

top of microwave
top of entertainment center
childrens bookshelves

FOLD laundry and PUT IT AWAY! (my pack'n'play if FULL i mean FULL of clean laundry)

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#4 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just finished with my last three areas and I:
Den
- Picked up all the papers the boys have been drawing on and put them in the recycling
- Removed the empty drink containers and a few food rappers from the desk
- Picked up the paper clips and put the lid back on the jar
- Took the dishes to the dishwasher
Backyard
- Put all the toys away
- Put the empty swimming pool under the deck
- Folded up the chairs and put them under the deck
- Collected the toys and cups that belong inside and put them away
- Collected the garbage
- Collected the shirts - yep my boys were stripping again!
- Watered our new cherry tree
* Saw a bird eating the cherries, which brought me joy since I was hoping to attract more birds!
- Put away a few buckets dh left by our other new trees
Laundry
- Put away the clothes I folded earlier
- Put away the pants & shorts DS1 pulled out of our new dresser

Whew, I feel like I did a lot even though my lists don't seem that long to me but I have to remember I am also taking care of and interacting with both ds' along the way. It is nice that I can now walk through the house and not have to step over things and my bathroom is sparkling. Now I am off to straighten up the kitchen a little more and figure out what I am making for dinner.
I will continue with my 15 min rotation after I clean up dinner.

SJ
#5 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM

wow go sj!

I got the dishes done
wiped the table
cleared off the entertainment center(sorted all the books papers and rouge toys that were stashed up there and put it all away:
now I am nursing dd then I prolly won't getmuch more accomplished till after dinner and errands.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#6 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 AM

Its almost 1pm here (Saturday) and I really need to get my rear in gear and get things done. DH is on duty today so I have the whole day to work without feeling like Im ignoring anyone (DD loves to help me so its not ignoring her).. Heres what I need to get done:

-Kitchen:
--Dishes- put away, start another load- Done!
--Make next weeks dinners/lunches-I messed up on the muffins so we are having waffles and pb&j or oatmeal for breakfest this week.
--cut up fruit and veggies for next week- Done!
--wipe down countertops/clean off stove
--put away whatever food leftover (I forget this a lot)
-Sweep/mop

-Laundry (which is also in the kitchen)
--fold diapers/put away-Done
--clothes from washer to dryer
--start another load

--do linens/bedding-stripping the bed now-In the wash, one-two more loads
--another load of clothing since DH needs fresh uniforms
--wipe down washer and dryer

Dining room
--clean off table
--clean off chairs
-- move table and vaccum underneth

-Living room
-- pick up baby clothes (I had someone look at them last night and I was so tired/sick afterwards I just went to bed)
[color="red]--pick up toys[/color]
-- clean off desk
--move book shelve from bedroom into living room
--vaccumm

Bathroom
-- clean off/wipe down sink
-- clean toliet
--clean tub
-- sweep/mop

Our bedroom
--put things away from off floor/tops of dresser
-- clean out crib of whatever is in there
--clean dog crate, wash down, replace linens
-- clean snakes cage (ask DH when the person is coming back to get his snake or Im just going to keep him)
--Put DH's gear into the storage closet
--put together underbed storage and put clothes into it. put it under the bed

DD's room
--put Christmas tree and computer tower back into the storage room
-- pick up the rest of the clothes and put them away
-- clear off her bed
--put away books
-- sweep/vaccum room..

Outside
--Clean patio
--clean grill
--sweep stairs
--mow yard
--weedeat/edge

If I get a third of it done with my little helper Ill be happy.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#7 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck Okimom! :-)

A little off topic but are you in okinawa? I was on Futenma 1999 - 2000, fun times!
#8 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 02:30 AM

Yeap, Im in Okinawa, we live on Shields but my DH works on Hansen. Its nice here but oh so hot. Our AC decided to quit today so we will see what all I can get done

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 PM

My house has been a disaster zone or weeks and I have been to overwhelmed to do anything about it! Time to stop wollowing in the CHAOS and get my but in gear. I think this accountability thread is an awsome idea.

SO my goals for this weekend are to round robin -

Kitchen
dishes as always
clear off microwave
clean out microwave
declutter art&crafts cabnet

Livivng room
remomve all items from old entertainment center so DH can move it when he gets home from work
declutter bookshelves
move childrens books

master bed room
collect all laundry sort and stain treat
change linins

Boys room (by far the scarriest in the house)

Collect ALL toys in big box
sort into smaller tuperware
change linins
put half the toys in hall closet
vacume

Hall bathroom
General swish and swipe
sweep
mop
put the little potty in starage::

My Bathroom
empty trash
scrub toilet
unclog shower drain
scrub sink and counter
sweep and mop

Playroom
sort and wipe toys
declutter windowsills
vacume

entry way
remove all items other then shoes
put old shoes in storage

bonus projects
declutter HALL CLOSETS

I WILL DO THIS!

#10 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Last night I never got back to my round robin routine and I didn't even clean up dinner but now FINALLY I am ready to start again. Same routine as yesterday since I didn't finish what I hoped to accomplish.

Good luck with your list Fairy4tmama! :

SJ
#11 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well I started this thread so I can be honest and honestly I haven't gotten much done. I am now finishing a break (after just one 15 min work period doing the dishes) consisting of a chocolate bar and a diet coke. bah I helped my mom, who lives across the country, find a lawn mower on craigslist and I coordinated everything. Unfortunately her day has not been going well and she was in a really bad mood when I was talking to her trying to help her get the lawn mower. Well negativity can really wear off on others and be so draining, I lost all of my motivation and feel blah now but it is back to work for me...
#12 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 09:32 PM

New day, DH is home from dinner and I just finished making breakfest for everyone. Now Im going to go finish up laundry and start another load of dishes then onto the bedroom. Milca (our dog) dumped her food and water last night so I have to restrip the linens off of her crate and rewash them.

#13 of 41 Old 07-20-2008, 04:06 AM

sj - i know how you feel, I am sometimes easily swayed by others negativity- hang in there!

Gk okimom.

I highlighted my accomplishments, its been slow going but I DID make progress.

Kitchen
dishes as always
clear off microwave
clean out microwave
declutter art&crafts cabnet

Livivng room
remomve all items from old entertainment center so DH can move it when he gets home from work
declutter bookshelves
move childrens books
moveold entertainment center
dust and set up new entertainment center

master bed room
collect all laundry sort and stain treat
change linins

Boys room (by far the scarriest in the house)

Collect ALL toys in big box
sort into smaller tuperware
change linins
put half the toys in hall closet
vacume

Hall bathroom
General swish and swipe
sweep
mop

put the little potty in starage

My Bathroom
empty trash
scrub toilet
unclog shower drain
scrub sink and counter
sweep and mop

Playroom
sort and wipe toys
declutter windowsills
vacume

entry way
remove all items other then shoes
put old shoes in storage

bonus projects
declutter HALL CLOSETS

I WILL DO THIS!

not quite half but pretty good considering I had trouble working in even 15 minute increments before somebody need food, drink, diaper change, butt wiped or conflict resolution.

#14 of 41 Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well done, you lot!

OK, we're having visitors tomorrow night. So some of this will be 'Today' stuff and some will be 'Today or Tomorrow' .

Today:
Declutter the computer desk
Remove strips of masking tape from bathroom (painting job from ages ago)
Unload dishwasher--Done
Clean bathroom (I hennaed my hair last night, so that'll be fun!)--Done
Vacuum down side of fridge, where the dust has been moldering since we moved in
Clean stove--Done

Today or Tomorrow:
Make chocolate mousse--Done
Make stuffing for chicken--Done
Make glaze for chicken--Done
Make cookies/slice/cake for afters--Done
Make potato salad--Done
Make bread--Done

Can you tell I like cooking better than cleaning? : I did do some other, non-listed stuff, like mopping the floor and making garlic butter and extra yummies for DH to take to work. But um, yeah... busy day tomorrow!

Edited again... K, not everything got done, but all the necessary stuff. And the guests have been and gone, so hah.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#15 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 AM

Still haven't done half of what I wanted to get done but its past 1pm here and that means its my daughters time with me (I clean from time I get up to when she gets up from her nap.. from nap to bedtime is family time)

#16 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
The other night I made dinner and my best friend came over to eat - despite my mess. She helped me clean the kitchen afterwards.

Yesterday we spent the entire day at the zoo and today (so far) has been a lazy day but I am about to go clean my room and my bathroom which are a complete disaster. At least that is the plan but I just heard dh say it is time to move furniture...
#17 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Am I the only one who gets really excited and inspired by reading how much people are getting done, but just CAN NOT seem to get anywhere in my own home?!?
#18 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM

Can I join in? My house is fairly well decluttered (with the exception of my room which keeps piling up CRAWP due to lack of other storage spaces in our small house) but I find that the computer is a HUGE time suck for me! I've been on here pretty much all morning (is nearly noon).. ok I did do the dishes & put away, put some laundry in the dryer and make the kids a snack I think having a b&w list might help me get my arse off here! I seem to have strained my achillies tendon in the last couple of days though, so there will be a lot of non walking jobs

Today I shall:
make lunch for the kids (that ones a given *DONE
sweep the floors done
get the laundry from the dryer, fold & put away when dh wakes this evening *ITS IN & folded *DONE
hang out the load of laundry I washed this morning (yay the rain stopped)*hung out!
give the kitchen & bathroom both a wipe down *kitchen done.. bath on deck for naptime
work on my *pagan summer camp binder *
do some schoolwork with the kiddo at some point hehehe*on the table & he's starting without me (i'm cuddling mr.2yo to sleep did it
vacuum the kids playroom & bedroom YEP

This is the least I'd like to get done, anything else is icing! :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#19 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

It is 3:26pm and my laundry just buzzed so I am going to do what I have been putting off all day - GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Dh had off the past three days so I didn't get much done but he is back at work (12 hr + shifts where I barely see him) for 3 days, hopefully I will get a lot done. I am forgoing the concert in the park this evening that I usually attend to hopefully get some work done and because it looks like rain.

It is another round robin for me - kitchen, living/dining, powder room, den and laundry...
#20 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Haven't done anything really.. Yesterday we had our ultrasound, the baby is healthy and stubborn so we don't know if its a boy or girl still (they couldn't quite see). I did pull out all the 0-3 month cloths I have and started to wash them so I can put them back. I was just going to do a quick inventory but they smell so bad from being shipped out here (I guess floating across a sea on a boat will do that) that they need to be washed. Eww.
Today I got up, made breakfest, rolled DH's sleeves, showered, brushed teeth, played with DD and took a nap with DD. Im soo tired today I don't know what else Ill get done but this is what Id like to do:
-Move bookcase from bedroom to livingroom (no room in bedroom to keep it there)
-Put old tower computer in storage closet (we are moving soon and setting up an actual office. DH is going to use it for school) - Done!
-Dishes (dishwasher and what needs to be handwashed)Done!
-Wipe down kitchen/sweep- Done!
-clean up living room (again)- Done!
-clean up bathroom - Done!
-laundry- One load put away, new one in washer and dryer. Another folded Goal is two more for today. - Done plus an extra load

I think thats more than enough to expect to get done. Im going to try to get done by lunchtime so after lunch I can visit a friend who just had surgery. We shall see what happens though.

#21 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oy - it is 6:37pm and I have folded a load of towels, put half of them away, ate pizza and 2 glasses of wine while cruising MDC. Now I will get up from the computer, I will, I will, I will.... after I check TAO one more time... bah!
#22 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 AM

I think Im doing pretty good today.. In the last three hours I have: done two loads laundry, did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, fed the cat and dog, cleaned the bathroom, made lunch, ate and picked up afterwards, cleaned the kitchen and taken the trash out. All without totally ignoring my daughter. Today Ive tried something new, instead of cleaning nonstop until Im doing I set a timer to half an hour, I clean for that and then play with DD for half an hour then go back to cleaning. It helps her to have time with mommy since she hates it when my attention is divided from her (which leads to a big mess because she acts out by making a mess). Oh I also moved a bunch of stuff to the storage closet that doesn't need to be in the house (christmas decorations, computer tower with no monitor etc).

Only things left for today is the book case and more laundry.

#23 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwildflower View Post
Am I the only one who gets really excited and inspired by reading how much people are getting done, but just CAN NOT seem to get anywhere in my own home?!?
Oh this is me. I think i'll get inspired enough to get going, but I don't. Sometimes I can't even read through everyone's list because it makes me overwhelmed. We have comstruction projects going on which makes it hard. Excuses, excuses.
#24 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well today I am serious, it is back to work for me! Everyone else who has been posting their accomplishments are inspiring! :-)

I can definately relate to being overwhelmed and making excuses, just walking out of my den is overwhelming and it is hard to know where to start. That is why I like doing 15 minute rotations, then I know I don't have to finish EVERYTHING in the area and for some reason that does make it easier to start. Here I go...
#25 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
I think Im doing pretty good today.. In the last three hours I have: done two loads laundry, did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, fed the cat and dog, cleaned the bathroom, made lunch, ate and picked up afterwards, cleaned the kitchen and taken the trash out. All without totally ignoring my daughter. Today Ive tried something new, instead of cleaning nonstop until Im doing I set a timer to half an hour, I clean for that and then play with DD for half an hour then go back to cleaning. It helps her to have time with mommy since she hates it when my attention is divided from her (which leads to a big mess because she acts out by making a mess). Oh I also moved a bunch of stuff to the storage closet that doesn't need to be in the house (christmas decorations, computer tower with no monitor etc).

Only things left for today is the book case and more laundry.
i am Queen of the timer (for me). it works so much better than having a "day" to clean.

im so joining this tribe! lol! i need to get rid of stuff. the problem is my partner doesnt feel teh same.
#26 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 PM

Yesterday, they came and took away our old fridge so I was able to reclaim my dining room (and thus also, my living room). Very happy.

today, did laundry, dishes, general tidying

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#27 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Today, I need to:

- Two loads of laundry
- Clean bathrooms
- Dishes
- Clean windows

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#28 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hokay. Today I need to:

- Feed and water the chickens--DONE
- Cut up veggies and get everything ready so I can make risotto when DH comes home from work--DONE
- Make homemade pizza for tonight (it's our date night)--DONE (well, it's cooking)
- Make something for dessert ('cause of date night)--Not done, DH decided to pop out for ice cream instead :
- Put away dry washing--Not done, 'cause it isn't dry yet, hmph
- Hang new washing out and do another load--DONE, the hanging out part anyway
- Hang that washing out--Not done, see above
- Bury kitchen scraps--DONE (and I got inspired and spent about an hour weeding the neglected veggie garden--I filled a HUGE garden bin up with weeds, and the place still looks like a jungle!)

Other, more general things I'll do if I have time:

- Zigzag around edges of nappy inners with the sewing machine
- Wash my somewhat stinky baby
- Make something yummy to take to church on Sunday
- Put more snail pellets out around the Brussels sprouts--DONE
- Empty out my pots of dead herbs and re-plant useful things in 'em
- Post my article about braiding

Right! And you know what? In order to achieve these goals, I am going to stay off MDC until 5PM. Horrors! Did I mention it's 11:00 and despite the baby sleeping in until ten minutes ago, all I've done today is washed my hair, kneaded bread dough and eaten three profiteroles?

Homemade profiteroles though, I'm not completely inept.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#29 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM

I never did move the bookcase yesterday. My hips and back started killing me so I decided to stop (and prevent the doctors lectures on not lifting over 10 pounds- shes very adament about that). Today is a new day.. My goals:
- Get that bookcase moved so it stops bugging me done!
- Laundry- three loads, diapers (Done), and two of linens (one linens done) Done! plus two loads
- Our bedroom- put away shoes, clean stuff off of floor Done!
- clean out dog crate Done!!
- clean out snake cage Done!
- put together storage cases and put clothes in them- put them UNDER (not on top) of the bed
- put DH's gear in the closet Done!
- put away the luggage Done!
- Vaccum bedroom-done/living room/dining room- done! Done!
- clean up daughters room (done)
- organize books/go through (done)
-put away christmas tree (don't ask how its in the baby's room) Done!!
- put away other items that shouldn't be in there.
- Put away baby clothes I washed yesterday
- sweep/mop babys room done/kitchen/entryway (we have this little bitty entry way thing that is like 6 squares of tile. I haven't mopped it in like a year.. oops) All done..!

Thats all. DH is suppose to be home early today (yea!!) so hopefully I get it all done before he comes home.

#30 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

GREAT thread!
I have got to get some serious cleaning/decluttering/donating done.
We are getting ready for a possible move in the very near future, so I have to get cracking on this stuff.
DH is working lots of hours and with the kids around, it's really tough to get this stuff done (and my almost 6 month old is a boobie hog lately!) but I am going to try my hardest.
Edited to add: ok, the kids are going to the beach for a few hours, so it will be just me and the baby here. Fingers crossed that she can play happily in her jumperoo or high chair by my side while I clean!

My List:
wash all the cloth dipes & put away
wash/dry my bedding & make bed
hand wash dishes from last night/this morning
scrub kitchen floor
go through all the children's books and throw away the ones that are falling apart
finish filling one trash bag with clothing donations
clean bathroom

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page