What do you hang over your bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always had this dilemma in every house I have lived in. I am never completely satitistifed with what I hang over my bed. I don't want something heavy feeling because I think it's bad feng shui and am afraid of it falling on my head. So, I am looking for a change for the master bedroom to be completely calm and serene, my oasis! So tell me what you hang over your beds (pics would be awesome too!). Thanks!!!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#2 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 AM

When I read this post, I thought immediately of something I saw online, I THINK it was on the website for WestElm, but I can't find it now...It was like a tree branch suspended from the ceiling with a breezy white curtain hanging from it in the space between the wall and the head of the bed. Does that make sense? It had a very serene feel. What about something like that, such as a curtain rod with gauzy curtains or some interesting textile curtains (embroidery, color, whatever you like) hanging between the head of bed & wall??
#3 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds really pretty..I will look up some ideas like that. At my old house I had a beautiful birch branch nailed to the wall but I don't want to put a million holes in the wall here. That branch was actually the only thing I ever hung behind my bed that I liked, but I don't know of any birch trees around me, plus you have to cut in spring time. Thanks for that idea, I like the thought of breezy gauze or something like that.

#4 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 AM

i try to position the head of my bed under a window. possibly out of laziness but i also just like the be near the fresh air and a breeze when i'm sleeping, i think.

since you don't want something heavy, what about something like:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=13540605
#5 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM

I don't have anything over my bed. Partly because we cosleep and my DD would stand up on the bed and mess with it, partly because we don't have a headboard and the bed is right against the wall. (And partly because we haven't gotten that far in decorating our bedroom that we've had to give it serious consideration and feel like there's something missing there!) I agree with you about it being bad feng shui--I have chosen not to hang our ketubah (jewish wedding contract) over our bed for that reason, that I am literally afraid that it will fall on my head in the middle of the night. If we had a headboard and the bed could thus be a couple of inches more forward from the wall I'd probably feel differently about it.

But I like the PPs idea of decals--I've seen that a lot more lately on decor sites. Also, I thought immediately of a wall quilt or other fabric art type wall hanging. At least if it fell on you most of it would be soft and fluffy.
#6 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My parents brought me back a beautiful (and light) tapestry from their trip to eastern Africa. I sewed ribbon hoops along the top and then hung it on a curtain rod over our bed. It's a tad longer than the width of our bed, so it's the perfect size and it looks airy and beautiful.
#7 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

What I did today was get some manzanita branches (that I had in a vase in the living room) split them into 2 bundles, crossed them, wrapped a brown grosgrain ribbon around it, suspended it from a string on a nail. I think it looks pretty and earthy. Thanks for all the great ideas, when I get tired of this I might try the curtain rod thing with some pretty gauze or something.

#8 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 02:50 PM

I know what you mean. I'm having the same problems. Not sure what to do.:
#9 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm supposed to hang stuff over my bed?! Dang it...now I've got to figure out a cheap as free something or other for that too...
#10 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM

This art, although I don't know if it could be considered serene!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#11 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM

at the moment, nothing.

I'm thinking of framing some tasteful nudes of DH and some of myself. Sort of claiming it as our space again, ya know? After YEARS of family bed.
#12 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just my dreamcatcher.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#13 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the idea of having a pendant light over the bed -- a big rice paper one, or something white with an interesting shape, or one made from a paper umbrella -- something nice to look at from in bed. I think a photo headboard could look really cool if done tastefully. I think if the bed is nicely dressed and there's a nice headboard (easy to DIY), there's no need to have anything on the wall over the bed. A "headboard" can also be a rug or tapestry or bedspread or quilt hung on the wall behind the bed. I'll probably be putting a small double happiness symbol on the wall above our bed, and that's it.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#14 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM

I love having our bed at an angle in our bedroom. We currently have only a tall lamp behind our bed that I plug in only when needed.

http://www.imagebucket.in/images/i4v...qmoh_thumb.jpg

DD is four feet tall. The comforter is usually out on both corners. I was taking pictures showing off our new dresser (on left) and the "legs" were important. LOL BTW, I finally got felt feet under the clock and phone, so the white hankie is no longer there.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#15 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea to put the bed in the corner then you don't have to worry about hanging anything up! I love that color blue, so peaceful...

#16 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 PM

I don't hang anything anymore. I try to make our room very spacey and not cluttered with stuff. So it's just the bed, the two table stands and that's pretty much it. Nothing hanging, no need for dusting.... just trying to simplify.
#17 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM

personally I hang the testicles of ex boyfriends above mine...but whatever works for you
#18 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM

I don't hang anything over my bed. Maybe its just growing up in the earthquake state (Ok, California, but we did have a lot of big earthquakes growing up) but Im not even a big fan of headboards (I do have one, I just don't much care for them). Id be worried of whatever it was falling off and hitting me in the head while I slept.. Yes its happened during an earthquake before.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#19 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have anything over the head of my bed, but I do have some photos of my kids as babies on the wall above my bed- if they fell, it would be onto my knees, not my head.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#20 of 33 Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Right now I don't have anything over (above) my bed. On the wall behind my head board I think there are some princess wallies that DD stuck on the wall! But...I am moving soon into a house (just bought my first house) and the bedrooms are a feng shui nightmare! It's a 170 year old colonial with 2 windows on two walls and a fireplace on a third and 2 sets of door on the fourth wall! Oh-and exposed beams on the ceiling. I'm not supposed to put my bed in front of a window, above a beam or with my feet facing the door or with mirror in front of the bed. Talk about a problem!

So to answer your question...I think I am going to drape some fabric above the bed between the beams or hang a canopy type thing like this from the ceiling (the 4 poster version). I also have issues with something falling from the ceiling or wall - probably because dd sleeps with me. I haven't figured out where the bed is going yet!

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#21 of 33 Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM

I used to have three collage picture frames, one large in the center, and two smaller ones, one to each side. Then DH hung two shelves on his side of the bed, so he took one of the smaller frames down. It is no longer even, but it hasn't bothered me.. yet. It will soon though

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#22 of 33 Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM

Do you mean on the wall where your headboard is, or literally on the ceiling?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#23 of 33 Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 AM

I have three simple, wrought iron candle sconces above my bed. I can try to get a photo tomorrow. I can't remember the candle scents, but they have a very light scent even when we haven't lit them in forever.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#24 of 33 Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Do you mean on the wall where your headboard is, or literally on the ceiling?

I mean just on the wall, some people hang pictures in frames, mirrors, etc. I really like the earthy things, recently I just hung up some manzanita branches tied together, and it's peaceful And won't hurt my head if it falls.

#25 of 33 Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I don't have anything hanging over the bed. Nor any pics on the wall above the headboard. We just moved into our new room and I like how it looks with "nothing" in the room - a bed, two side tables and a chair in the corner. Simple and serene for me.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#26 of 33 Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
personally I hang the testicles of ex boyfriends above mine...but whatever works for you
:

We have one of those rattan hoop thingies with the flowy fabric hanging down (here's a random image of one). Ours is cotton fabric, though, and it's tie dyed. Also, there's beaded fringe hanging off the ends of the opening/slit. Ds thinks it's the coolest thing ever.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#27 of 33 Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 PM

This is the first time that I don't have a window behind the headboard, so I am having the same problem.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#28 of 33 Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
This art, although I don't know if it could be considered serene!
I love your art!

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#29 of 33 Old 07-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We have a beautiful wall votive candle holder shaped like a tree. It holds 5 votives - it is so beautiful when we light it!
#30 of 33 Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Our bed in kitty cornered with a "made by me headboard". One afternoon I came home from Lowes with a piece of plywood and one hour later I had a headboard . I just rounded the corners of the plywood and used a staple gun to attach some black velvet like material I had lying around. Lastly I stuffed the frame with some polyfill and there you have it. It does the job!

Still I'd like something behind the headboard in the corner. Maybe I'll pick up a mesh net ... hmmmm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page