Monthly Room Challenge - August = Boudoir - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I got some stuff figured out! Woohoo! I cleaned out the space at teh end of my mattress. I also put my hamper in the walk in closet (on dps side he he), and moved a little end table near my bed, It is pretty tiny, and just fit the lamp and a book, but it is small enough to easily get around when opening the drawers under the bed. Also, the lamp was previously perched haphazardly on the hamper, so now it looks much more stable!
#32 of 60 Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma View Post
Edited to add that after a couple of hours, I have a less messy closet. I gathered many items that just needed to be placed in their proper place somewhere else in the house. Lots of stuff will be given away. There was a fair amount of trash/recycling (paper items, absolute junk). The rest was organized a bit better. It isn't perfect, but I have more room now. And I found 2 Mystery Science Theater 3K tapes from when the series was on the Sci-Fi channel. Yeah!!!
This is awesome. Maybe it will jump start me to start my own closet tonight. Avoidance is my middle name!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#33 of 60 Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Hey, I'm in! Back later with plan.
#34 of 60 Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 PM

yay im in! bbl with pics of before

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#35 of 60 Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM

I'm in

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#36 of 60 Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
I will join if it's ok to start now. We are hoping to move in the next few months, so this is more about decluttering than decorating. We have a broken TV in there that we've been holding on to for way too long. I'm still unsure of what to do with it. I also need to clean out and declutter the closet. That's about it, but it's a big enough task for a pregnant lady with a toddler.

We finally got rid of the TV!!! : We had been holding on to it for over 2 years, knowing it would be too expensive to fix it, yet not wanting to let it go because it was expensive in the first place. Hubby finally accepted that no one was going to buy it and brought it to the recycling center this morning!

I've consistently been making the bed. It's now become a great habit and I can't stand to see it unmade.

I need to drop of some clothing donations, but other than that it's mostly done.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#37 of 60 Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM

I finally went through and organized my closet! I love clothes, shoes, and purses, but I had way too many things that I don't wear or use anymore. I bagged up probably over 100 pieces of clothing to drop off at Goodwill this week. It still looks like I have plenty of clothes, but it's now organized and pieces I wear so I am happy. I cleaned up DH's items as well in there. All I need to do now is put away all of DS's old clothes that are in a laundry basket on the floor and then the closet is done!

#38 of 60 Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM

I started moving my clothes out of my present bedroom and towards the closet of the bedroom downstairs, which needs to be emptied of stuff (towels, bedclothes, various things that the moved-out kids have left behind). The plan is to move out of upstairs completely, and rent it out, then make a new bedroom downstairs out of what is presently the TV room, then make an office out of what is presently the downstairs bedroom!

I actually don't have so much clutter in my present bedroom, but it will take some reorganising to get everything arranged!

The next step now is to finish moving everything out of the closet that I'm moving my clothes to, sort my clothes (find out which ones I don't need and get rid of those), and put them into the cupboard! This might take a while!
#39 of 60 Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Here's my list of improvements to make and/or work to do:

~ Wash the window and blinds and window sill (LARGE TASK, see above for size of this puppy! and it is on the second floor)

~ Finish "dress up" game (I've gone through 75% of my warm weather clothing, so not much more)

~ We recently decluttered/organized about half of the non-clothing items in the closet (when we got everything out from under the bed)...time to do the rest and hopefully get that last item out from under there, too.

~ My dresser tops need to be cleared off. I just need to finish packing my toiletries to an upcoming trip.

~ Find a place to take my old laptop battery and get it out of our bedroom.

~ DUST!!! Also, clean the ceiling fan and light cover.

~ Find and purchase a few SELECT replacement pieces of furniture. My furniture is going to be DD's and some is in her bedroom already and some is still in ours. I don't need (or want) to replace it all, but it has proven to be tricky finding equivalent USE items. (This may extend past August, but I need to actively look again.)

~ Find a soft window treatment I like and implement it, which involves finding a window treatment for our family office, too. (This may extend past August, also, but I need to actively look for ideas.)
Okay, I cleaned the inside of the window and the window sill today (actually in two rooms). I still have the outsides to figure out and take down the blinds and wash them somewhere. I can take out the part of the window that slides and take it downstairs and outside to wash. The screen and other part of the window are permanently attached, though. I have a car wash gadget (Mr. Clean, maybe?) that may work from outside downstairs. Our ladder is only 6 feet and that isn't going to get me high enough to even touch the bottom of the window. LOL My dad has a 7 foot ladder, though, so maybe I should make it my workout to walk to his house, get the ladder, haul it to my house, wash the outside windows and screens, then return the ladder to his house, haul the removable windows downstairs, wash them, and replace??? The permanent window has all the crud on it since I have never washed it before (on the outside). I have removed the other section a few times in the last 8 years.

Meanwhile, I finished going through all my warm weather clothing and gave away a shopping bag full (delivered to charity last week). I have two pairs of shoes to donate now.

I went through our (car) travel bags recently and donated some things. Our closet is HUGE (14-18? feet long x3 feet deep x8 feet high). It is so easy to store stuff in here and be able to find it easily. It is so easy to store stuff in here. LOL I have done a few sections and have more to go... We're traveling by plane soon, so that'll motivate me to go through those travel items. (I went through the car travel stuff before our recent road trip.) The suitcases are in the midst of other stuff, so maybe I'll get the whole bottom of the closet done this month??? I already did the upper section of 3/4 of the closet, so that'll just leave 1/4 of the upper section for a later date (1/8th of total closet space).

All the horizontal surfaces in the room got cleaned today. The room looks great to the casual observer.

I cheated with the laptop battery by moving it to the office. It is out of the bedroom, though.

I dusted the whole room (along with DD's room and the upstairs bathrooms and hallway) and cleaned the ceiling fan and lights. I also vacuumed with our upright, but the Roomba does a far better job in this room due to the furniture arrangement and being able to get underneath it all. I'll set it loose in there later in the week. It (Roomba) was busy with the foyer and living room today and I wanted to finish the bedrooms/bathrooms/hallway without waiting for it to recharge. The upright works best for DD's room and just as well for the bathrooms and hallway.

I am getting somewhere with the replacement furniture issue. DD is finally cooperating! I may end up halting the progress in our room before it is finished and switching gears in order to finish her room first now that she is amenable. We leave town soon and will be gone until right before school starts back up, so the timing would be good to leave our room alone since it looks visually decent. I'd be able to work on her room (home improvement project city) while she is in school. Once her room is done, then I'll be without furniture and will be forced to find replacements and encouraged to finish the final touches on our bedroom.

I think I have figured out loosely what I want for the window in the family office, which leads me to what I want for our bedroom. I just need to go find it now. If I end up finding fabric instead of premade items, then I am likely to sew up the office first because it is "needed" in there far more.

So... I have made progress in the "boudoir" thanks to this challenge and I thank you!

I am unlikely to finish anymore in August due to our upcoming vacation. I'd love to see another such challenge in November/December.

Best wishes to my fellow challengers! I hope y'all succeed!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#40 of 60 Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 AM

I would love to join this challenge (late, I know)...but I'll be out of town for the last half of the month, which only leaves me a week to get anything done. And I was hoping to get the house deep-cleaned before my trip, so that I'm not coming back to a mess. So....I won't have a lot of time for "extras" this month...but I would love to see another of these challenges next month! And I hope it will be stickied so that I can find it easily!
#41 of 60 Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM

I"ve been reading this since it started, but not posting!

We have a good sized bedroom (when you consider we live in a tiny apartment!) and this past week I've gotten rid of a useless dresser and chair that were in it.

The dresser was just the wrong size and took up a lot of room but didn't hold a lot of clothes. We have one wall with two shelves the whole length of the wall for clothes, with a track and hooks for hanging clothes on the underside. I can't reach either of these shelves because they are too high.

So, we've stolen the idea from out kids' room and brought in a shelf and are filling it with baskets we find on sale. It is working great!

I'm also going through my clothes, much more than my occasional purge. I have gotten rid of two bags of my clothes and two bags of the kids'!

I'm not really sure how to make my bedroom more welcoming. We have the computer in here, although it will be only a desk with a laptop and printer soon. That will make it less imposing.

Here is my to-do list for my bedroom:

-Put up a curtain (right now we just have blinds)
-Organize and purge clothes
-Find out what exactly is under the bed
-Figure out something for above the bed
-Find a bedside table with a drawer or shelf or something!

Thanks for all the great motivation!
#42 of 60 Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Today I am going to:

sort out and organize our dresser drawers
pull nail out of wall
dust furniture, baseboards, ceiling fan, around ceiling, pictures
reattach the stuff I have over the window to darken the room (we get so much a.m. light before we are ready to get up!)

Whoo-hoo!!! This is what I did today:

pulled out unnecessary nails in the wall; dusted everywhere, including the ceiling fan (gross); folded clothes; fixed the window covering; cleaned out a basket full of stuff; made this neat wall hanging above the headboard out of an old, velvet tablecloth
#43 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 PM

I know I'm coming in late on this...but I'm new to the board!

And, we're actually moving in a week or so, but here are the things that I plan to do in our new home:

1. Organize the closet better. Right now our clothing is organized pretty well, but the floor has acquired a bunch of JUNK, and we have WAY TOO MANY SHOES! (DH is just as bad as me when it comes to shoes!)

2. Figure out a way to keep DH from junking up the top of his dresser. He has is pda, cell phone, name badge, odd papers, change, etc ALL over his dresser. I saw a cool organizer (from pottery barn) in a magazine that contains the wires from phones and such and has little cubby areas for the other stuff. I'm going to try to find something similar I can use for that for him, or make something myself (i'm pretty crafty! )

3. Weed out the clothes we no longer wear.

I think that's it. Can't wait to get started!
#44 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM

Well, I have completed this challenge. Closet organized and purged to my current satisfaction. Dresser drawers organized. Serious dusting has taken place. Decorative touch added to room. That was fun!
#45 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM

Good for you, Amanda! I'd love to see pics!
#46 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I'll join in.. I think I joined in last year when the bedroom was the challenge, and it went great! But we slipped back into old habits and now it's a bit .. meh.. again. My husband works graveyards, so he sleeps during the day, which will mean I'll have to do my work in there in the evening when everyone else is asleep. There's forever laundry in baskets (or sometimes not even in a basket ) in the corner of the room, there's a woolen underlay that has no home when it's not on the bed (as it's not now.. I think I change the sheets and put it on TOMORROW so I'll be ahead of the game ) There's crap in the clothing side of the closet... and the craft corner (1/3 of the closet) is getting a little disorganized too.
Ok, update! I spent a whole day in there last week (well off & on and it's looking great! : I decluttered the crap out of there, and dusted/polished all the furniture, and got the bags/piles of clothes to be donated OUT & vacuumed thoroughly I've been making a HUGE effort to get all laundry folded & put straight away, as the laundry piling up is the beginning of the end for me...it slides straight from a pile of laundry to chaos

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#47 of 60 Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla_KY View Post
I know I'm coming in late on this...but I'm new to the board!

And, we're actually moving in a week or so, but here are the things that I plan to do in our new home:

1. Organize the closet better. Right now our clothing is organized pretty well, but the floor has acquired a bunch of JUNK, and we have WAY TOO MANY SHOES! (DH is just as bad as me when it comes to shoes!)

2. Figure out a way to keep DH from junking up the top of his dresser. He has is pda, cell phone, name badge, odd papers, change, etc ALL over his dresser. I saw a cool organizer (from pottery barn) in a magazine that contains the wires from phones and such and has little cubby areas for the other stuff. I'm going to try to find something similar I can use for that for him, or make something myself (i'm pretty crafty! )

3. Weed out the clothes we no longer wear.

I think that's it. Can't wait to get started!

HOORAY!!! I have finished 2-1/2 of my things!

1. I cleaned out our closet and have everything organized and looking pretty!

2. I convinced DH to clean off his dresser (We're trying to sell our house, so I used that as a way to convince him!), but I still haven't found something I like for organizing his electronic stuff. Still working on that.

3. I got rid of 2 garbage bags full of clothing, bedding, etc that we no longer need, use or wear.

It feels so good! I'll try to come back and share pics soon...I havent' uploaded them off my camera yet.
#48 of 60 Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 AM

Less than a week left. Are we all ging to post "after" pics at the end?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#49 of 60 Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM

I'm planning on posting mine later this afternoon once I get them uploaded from my camera!
#50 of 60 Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 PM

I'm out (after never really having been in) because we've had to suddenly move out of our house and therefore don't have my boudoir at hand at the moment. :
#51 of 60 Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM

I hope this works...I posted these pics in another thread...so I'm trying to copy the links into this one...

This is our closet after getting re-organized.

My side of the closet - shirts sorted by season and color

Hubby's Side of the closet - pants, scrubs sorted by color. His t-shirts are still messy on the shelf up top, but I haven't found a good, cheap (Meaning I don't need to go buy anything) way to keep them neat and tidy.

The whole closet, with doors open

A rolling drawer organizer - where I keep belts, purses, etc.
#52 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Let's ramp it up and go out with a bang!

September's challenge is the bathroom.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#53 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM

I plan on finishing the rest this weekend- I probably won't have curtains as I haven't found fabric that I like yet, but hopefully the rest is done!

I'm glad the bathroom is next as mine needs some TLC.

#54 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM

I'll put up 'after' pics on Sunday!

Bathroom... I guess I'll do the master bath. It's pretty much done anyway, LOL. Just needs some more decoration.

Gone but not fogotten.
#55 of 60 Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Carla - Your links didn't work for me. I roll our t-shirts and they look sooo much neater that way. Ours are in a large drawer, though. However, I use a new washcloth each day and have those rolled on a shelf and they look nice that way.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#56 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
I'll join.

My room is pretty empty, but there's still alot I need to do. My dh finds out tomorrow if he is getting a new job and if so, we will be selling our house. This list is for if that does happen.

What I love about it is: its open and airy, the windows are great, and I love that both of my homebirth babies were born in there.

I need to:
- organize the clothes in one of the closets
- I need to find a home for the bearded dragon cage on my dresser (don't ask!
- find a mirror and hang it over my dresser
- sand down and stain the nightstand to replace the table I am using now for that purpose
- get a frame for my bed and remove the twin from the floor (put it in the empty bedroom)

I hope to have this (and all the other things!) done within the first week or two of Aug.

Update on my progress: I finished most of the stuff on my list, only my daughter organized the clothes that needed to be done and I still need to find a mirror to hang over my dresser. And I changed my mind about the table/nightstand. Either way, its taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
Good luck, MP! I hope he got the job!
Thanks. He did get the job.
#57 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Carla - Your links didn't work for me. I roll our t-shirts and they look sooo much neater that way. Ours are in a large drawer, though. However, I use a new washcloth each day and have those rolled on a shelf and they look nice that way.
Hmmm...not sure why they aren't working...I'll check on that and try to get it fixed.
#58 of 60 Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 AM

Ok, I updated once earlier in the month so it's time for a roundup I guess! I don't have pics though I had issues with 'piles' in 2 corners of my room..laundry, 'stuff', donation bags. Those are GONE and have stayed gone most of the month. I admit to ending up with a basket of laundry for a few days at a time (hubby on night shift makes it hard to get in there during the day) but I'm still working on keeping it done pronto. I've done a thorough clean/polish of the furniture and it looks nice

The closet was my downfall. I did not get a single thing done in it... So I think I'm going to carry that over into this month and work on it. Time to get out shorts & such here so it will be a prefect opportunity to thin things out a bit

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#59 of 60 Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Here's my closet. Each pic is a bit wonky cause I had to paste 2 photos together to get the full bar(s) in the closet.

Right side:

top - purses, hats and some heels

middle - capris, shorts and skirts by color

bottom - pants and some jeans by color

Left side:

top - sweaters

middle - long sleeve and short sleeve shirts by color

bottom - sleeveless tops by color

Closet #2:

dresses by color

I haven't gotten the curtains for my room yet. Maybe I'll post pics soon anyway.

I also need hooks for all of my bags and purses in my closet and also need to find a good way to store all my shoes. Ideas?

Gone but not fogotten.
#60 of 60 Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
I also need hooks for all of my bags and purses in my closet and also need to find a good way to store all my shoes. Ideas?
We have a few different shoe storage places (as we both have a lot it seems). Does your closet door slide or does it open like a regular door? We have a shoe rack that goes over the back of the door that holds our shoes. We have a shoe rack on the floor of the closet that holds my shoes that don't fit over the door (boots, etc). We also have a shoe rack over our laundry room door on the 1st floor that holds shoes we wear pretty much every day so whenever we get home we can take them off right away and put them there.

All my purses are just on a shelf in the closet so I can't help there much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page