Monthly Room Challenge - August = Boudoir - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Or Master Bedroom, for the less frou-frou!

I haven't seen a monthly room challenge for ages, so I thought I'd start one for August. (Mostly because I am focusing on my boudoir in August, and I would love some company!)

Simply post what you love about your boudoir, what you want to change, and your plan of action. (Include any "special projects", as well.)

Before and After photos are great, but not necessary.

Anyone care to join me?

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter and I share the room, so I love that there are two closets.

I also love my King-size 4-poster bed.

I need to put away all of the clean and folded laundry that is currently malingering in my room, and inventory all of the "to grow into" clothing stored in Rubbermaid totes under my bed (1 tote per child).

Then I need to:
1) assemble and install the canopy attachment for my bed (It's currently living under the bed : ) done!
2) send my area rug out for cleaning (also currently under the bed) and
3) put my wall lamp on the actual wall (as it's not serving its function sitting on my closet shelf!)

I also need to install some organizational tools like this to help my daughter put away her things more easily.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll come on the journey with you!

I think I will take pictures later and post them, see if I can get any good feedback.

I'm contemplating getting a bigger bed because both our rugrats enjoy coming in to cuddle in the middle of the night, but it's resulting in very little space for us.

We have two dressers and two nightstands, and nothing else. Jason has WAY too many clothes and it's hard to keep them organized. Our closet is a disaster.

Our bedroom doesn't feel very romantic, inviting, relaxing, etc. I don't know exactly what to do to fix that.

I'll definitely post pictures later and see if you all have any input.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM

I have nails in the wall from where I changed the floor plan and had to move pictures. Those need to be removed. The closet could use some organizing and decluttering. I'd like to make some sort of fabric header for the bed or do something to add some design interest.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Oh this sounds fun, and perfect timing as my room is a mess and I have been meaning to get it cleaned up and organized!

I love our bed and bedroom furniture, which we have had for less than a year now. We have some pictures on the walls, and some candles to help set the mood.

Unfortunately, there's usually clothes piled up on the dressers and random things that get tossed up there when we are in a hurry. I also have laundry baskets that seem to be a permanent fixture- I need to go through the clothes in there and get rid of what we don't need and put away the rest. In the closet I need to go through the clothes in there, and also all the outgrown baby cloths that reside in a laundry basket on the floor. I have to start making the bed when I wake up in the morning, because just doing that makes the room feel that much cleaner!

I'll have to post pics and put them up later...

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Perfect timing for me too. My room is a disaster. It still has the handpainted Noahs ark border from when it was a playroom. Lots and lots of clothes everywhere. Probably most of them don't belong in there. My room is the home for homeless things. I bet it will take me a whole month of hard work to dig out. I'd like to commit to 15 mins 2x a day. I'd like to do more, but I'll at least make that my bare minimum. I think I'll take before pics, but not post them until I have a lovely after pic to post along with it.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 07-25-2008, 02:47 AM

I will join if it's ok to start now. We are hoping to move in the next few months, so this is more about decluttering than decorating. We have a broken TV in there that we've been holding on to for way too long. I'm still unsure of what to do with it. I also need to clean out and declutter the closet. That's about it, but it's a big enough task for a pregnant lady with a toddler.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM

I'll join in.. I think I joined in last year when the bedroom was the challenge, and it went great! But we slipped back into old habits and now it's a bit .. meh.. again. My husband works graveyards, so he sleeps during the day, which will mean I'll have to do my work in there in the evening when everyone else is asleep. There's forever laundry in baskets (or sometimes not even in a basket ) in the corner of the room, there's a woolen underlay that has no home when it's not on the bed (as it's not now.. I think I change the sheets and put it on TOMORROW so I'll be ahead of the game ) There's crap in the clothing side of the closet... and the craft corner (1/3 of the closet) is getting a little disorganized too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I also need to install some organizational tools like this to help my daughter put away her things more easily.
OMG.. HOW have I never gone to organize.com!?!?! : Now I'm wondering how much their international shipping is lol.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
We have a broken TV in there that we've been holding on to for way too long. I'm still unsure of what to do with it.
Try freecycle. I have a contact on freecycle that will take any and all old and broken electronics that I do not want. Or if that doesn't work, you could check with your county to see if they plan to have an electronics recycling day in the future.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma View Post
Try freecycle. I have a contact on freecycle that will take any and all old and broken electronics that I do not want. Or if that doesn't work, you could check with your county to see if they plan to have an electronics recycling day in the future.
Thanks! For some reason, I hadn't thought about freecycle. We are planning to bring it to the local recycling center tomorrow, but if they won't take it I'll definitely list it on freecycle.

For the last 2 days, I've been taking the time to make our bed. It makes such a difference! I've also dusted the ceiling fan and dusted and polished the bed with almond oil. I love the way it smells.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 PM

I'll join in. Right now our bedroom is pretty bare (we recently moved). I want to get a few decorative items, take out the tv that we don't use, move the furniture around, put up curtains, etc.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 AM

I'll join. Today we cleaned up the bedroom and moved the changing pad down to the garage, so we have a new empty space on our dresser. It is so refreshing. I was so proud of DH, when I asked him what we should put there now that the pad is gone, he responded, Nothing! Its so nice with nothing on it. :
I need to clean out the closet and do a reorg. It has become a pileup of stuff. I need to figure out where to put all the keepsake stuff from ds first year. Closetwise, DH has barely any work clothes and tons and tons of weekend clothes that he never wears, he just wears the same couple things everyweekend so I would like to look through his stuff again and get rid of alot. Also there are random blankets that I would like to get off the floor of the closet and up onto a shelf in there. Lately, I have been really good about getting rid of stuff I dont wear or like and all of my stuff fits in just 2 drawers and barely anything in the closet. Although I really could get rid of more. I just went through ds clothes drawer last week and organized it. I realized he had no plain pants, everything had some pattern or stripes so I got his some basic pants and it has been a lot easier dressing him. In total, I basically want to clean out the closet, organize the storage part of the closet, and get rid of all the knick knacks.. As a reward to myself getting the whole thing done I am going to buy a new lamp for the room, or maybe a celing fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be really cool.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 PM

I don't have befores, but here's my after I did in July

my boudoir.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
Old 07-27-2008, 01:05 PM

I'll join.

My room is pretty empty, but there's still alot I need to do. My dh finds out tomorrow if he is getting a new job and if so, we will be selling our house. This list is for if that does happen.

What I love about it is: its open and airy, the windows are great, and I love that both of my homebirth babies were born in there.

I need to:
- organize the clothes in one of the closets
- I need to find a home for the bearded dragon cage on my dresser (don't ask!
- find a mirror and hang it over my dresser
- sand down and stain the nightstand to replace the table I am using now for that purpose
- get a frame for my bed and remove the twin from the floor (put it in the empty bedroom)

I hope to have this (and all the other things!) done within the first week or two of Aug.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Good luck, MP! I hope he got the job!

I started working on the closet today. I counted up 23 random T-shirts that my husband has, compared to my 6. For some reason he's just attached to T-shirts that he gets free from vendors and such, but we don't have the room for them all. I'm going to ask him to narrow them down as much as he can. I'd love the number to get as low as 10, but I'm letting him decide. They're in a tower on our bed waiting for him to get home from work.

I have quite a pile of my own clothes to donate. I can't wait to get it out the door.

I also cleaned out my jewelry box. There are some things in there that I feel obligated to keep, but I know I will never wear. That would account for probably 70% of it. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not a big jewelry person, anyhow, so I don't need the space. It would be so much nicer without the clutter inside (not visible from the outside.)

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 AM

Ooh, oohhh *waving hand in the air* I'm in!

My house is in mostly good shape, with the exception of the unfinished basement. I meant to hit the basement hard once the kids go back to school in September, but it seems so overwhelming. Easing in by starting with a room that isn't so bad is a good way to start. August is going to be crazy busy for me, but I should be able to carve out some time for the bedroom.

I'll be back later with photos and my to-do list. Thanks so much for starting back up with the room of the month thread

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 PM

This is a timely thread. Here's what I'm doing:

*Painting this week
*Hanging new curtains
*Better decor on the walls
*Consider other arrangement for bed, although I think there's only once place it will look decent
*organize the closet and dressers

I better take some pictures.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm in too! Our tiny house has two rooms... dowstairs is the kitchen/living/bath/play "room" and upstairs is the family bedroom. So getting thew bedroom organized will do a lot for the whole house!

I actually have before pictures already...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/briarhouse/2616138491/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/briarhouse/2616135943/

There are no closets, the bed is low so the littles don't fall off and the bigs don't bump their heads on the angled roof (so limited space below the bed), and there is just way too much stuff up there!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm in! I was planning to do this anyway...

I am going to:

-Rip up the carpeting to expose the hardwood
-paint the walls
-new bedding (sheets, bedskirt, will get to match the quilt dh's grandmother made us)
-strip the paint off the trim and re-do (hopefully this will come off well enough to stain and not have to re-paint.

ooohhh...I have a lot of work to do...good thing it's a small space.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
I counted up 23 random T-shirts that my husband has, compared to my 6. For some reason he's just attached to T-shirts that he gets free from vendors and such, but we don't have the room for them all. I'm going to ask him to narrow them down as much as he can. I'd love the number to get as low as 10, but I'm letting him decide. They're in a tower on our bed waiting for him to get home from work.
My dh is attached to his t-shirts also. He'll wear them to pieces, but once I see holes, I take it off the hanger and fold it and place it with his shorts, hoping that he'll wear it only for yard work.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Ooooh, I'm IN! We moved 2 months ago and I've yet to fully decorate our room. Plus, we changed our color scheme in the public areas so all of the red (dark) decor is going into our room. This should be fun.

What I love about my room - my furniture. We have large, honey-pine, bit rustic attached 4 poster, large dresser, pretty bench and nightstands that are all a set. I LOVE my attached bathroom - it's a glass enclosed, double headed shower. with beautiful tile and granite. I also love the closet. It's small but it's very organized and full of my clothes (DH's got kicked to one of the spare room's closet).

I need:

- window treatments

- to hang up the pictures and decor

- a nice rug

- maybe curtains to enclose the bed

I guess I'll go take some "before" pics...

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

I need this so badly. Our room is still a family bedroom, dd is three and cosleeping - but it has just gone downhill. The last thing it says is "welcoming, restful place". We have a black sheet over the window to keep it dark at night because of dd for goodness sake(lots of light pollution). It is just ack, the catch-all for everything and just kind of bare (not in a simple way, in a cold way).

This thread is timely for sure.

I am determined to make it a warmer, more welcoming place for us.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM

I've already started, so I don't exactly have a true "before". However, this room has been a work in progress since we moved in almost exactly 8 years ago. In fact, the whole house has been! LOL

DH was at a conference over the weekend, so DD & I played "dress up". "Dress up" around here is a game I invented for a fun way to get DD to try on all her clothes over a few days' time. We started on hers the afternoon of her last day of school (last Monday, year-round school) and finished hers on Saturday. I started on mine on Saturday and haven't finished yet. I do this about twice a year (each main season) and DD does it three times a year (before Christmas/winter, before her birthday/early spring, and summer/school ends...we don't have traditional autumn weather here). We have a large shopping bag and small shopping bag plus assorted shoes to donate thus far. The "game" part is we play music and "model" complete outfits with variations of a runway, etc.

What I love about our master bedroom:

~ LOTS of gorgeous natural light! (west facing six-foot wide by four-foot high window)
~ Beautiful, peaceful medium value blue-violet walls with fresh white trim (painted last September)
~ An entire wall of closet (12-14 feet???) with 4 mirrored sliding doors trimmed in white (not gold like most I see)
~ Hand-textured white ceiling (finished a few years ago) with ceiling fan (one nice thing we did NOT have to install ourselves...LOL...we did add a light kit, though...)
~ Very comfortable (supportive) mattress and box springs (purchased in early 2000s) with 100% cotton bedding
~ Lovely, clean lines, easy-care bed frame with padded leather headboard (no more piles of pillows so I can read in bed) and only ONE thing underneath (Christmas gift wrap supplies)
~ Natural cherry wood dressing chest that holds all of DH's clothing (down from two LARGE, old 70s heavy, ornate dressers) plus two drawers of "joint" clothing (camping/hiking/hats and t-shirts) plus all my jeans and sweaters and odds and ends
~ and more... I love most everything about our bedroom!

With all this love, you might wonder why I need to work on this room??? Here's my list of improvements to make and/or work to do:

~ Wash the window and blinds and window sill (LARGE TASK, see above for size of this puppy! and it is on the second floor)

~ Finish "dress up" game (I've gone through 75% of my warm weather clothing, so not much more)

~ We recently decluttered/organized about half of the non-clothing items in the closet (when we got everything out from under the bed)...time to do the rest and hopefully get that last item out from under there, too.

~ My dresser tops need to be cleared off. I just need to finish packing my toiletries to an upcoming trip.

~ Find a place to take my old laptop battery and get it out of our bedroom.

~ DUST!!! Also, clean the ceiling fan and light cover.

~ Find and purchase a few SELECT replacement pieces of furniture. My furniture is going to be DD's and some is in her bedroom already and some is still in ours. I don't need (or want) to replace it all, but it has proven to be tricky finding equivalent USE items. (This may extend past August, but I need to actively look again.)

~ Find a soft window treatment I like and implement it, which involves finding a window treatment for our family office, too. (This may extend past August, also, but I need to actively look for ideas.)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM

Here's my bedroom:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=814e42d5.pbw

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM

I've stickied this to the top. Somebody give me a nudge when it's time for September to get swapped out with this one, please?

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Here's my list of improvements to make and/or work to do:

~ Wash the window and blinds and window sill (LARGE TASK, see above for size of this puppy! and it is on the second floor)

~ Finish "dress up" game (I've gone through 75% of my warm weather clothing, so not much more)

~ We recently decluttered/organized about half of the non-clothing items in the closet (when we got everything out from under the bed)...time to do the rest and hopefully get that last item out from under there, too.

~ My dresser tops need to be cleared off. I just need to finish packing my toiletries to an upcoming trip.

~ Find a place to take my old laptop battery and get it out of our bedroom.

~ DUST!!! Also, clean the ceiling fan and light cover.

~ Find and purchase a few SELECT replacement pieces of furniture. My furniture is going to be DD's and some is in her bedroom already and some is still in ours. I don't need (or want) to replace it all, but it has proven to be tricky finding equivalent USE items. (This may extend past August, but I need to actively look again.)

~ Find a soft window treatment I like and implement it, which involves finding a window treatment for our family office, too. (This may extend past August, also, but I need to actively look for ideas.)

*** I did this one thing from my list today.

*** I went through our bag of bags for traveling, too. We still use them and I had decluttered them within the last year, but I was able to move two bags to our canvas bag collection to be used regularly instead of waiting just for traveling. I also decluttered my makeup I keep in a small 3-drawer unit as I was packing.

I also washed our sheets and am so happy because I got to hang the sheets outside to dry since our fence is fixed and the clothesline holds things up again! I am excited about closing down my laptop and hopping into those clean, fresh sheets now!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 AM

hmm.. I am in.. (I think)- although I don't think there is a whole lot I can do until Sept except organizing..

My bedroom is VERY small.. when you walk in, to the far right is one decent sized window.. to the left is the 3/4 bath and a walk in closet.. The bed is RIGHT under the window (not very feng shui) and the dresser is at the end of the bed (it is a low one, but still a WEIRD place for a dresser. If I moved the bed any other way, I would lose the storage under the bed (drawers) so this is where it is.. I don't like the arrangement AT all. I have a small nightstand with a lamp and an elephant statue between the bathroom and closet door.

My bedding is pretty nice green with gold and the curtains are gold. I have an elephant plant stand in the window that I LOVE and a large one on the side of the bed with bamboo. I have tapestries on the walls with elephants and palm trees.

Problem #1- I have a basketfull of sewing that needs repair on the dresser

Problem #2- sometimes paperwork falls down between the bed frame and the mattress

I already purged a lot from my closets when we moved in, and purged several more bags since then. I found a SWEET consignment boutique, and traded in SEVERAL blouses I don't wear/fit for many fewer that look great!

I really need to get some kind of theme going in the 3/4 bath but I am not sure if that will go in another months challenge yet or not..

My dad stopped by yesterday and told me I should knock out the wall between my office and my bedroom and turn my hallway into a second walk in closet.. I would do it if I had the cash..
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Today I started on the ever present laundry baskets in the corner of my room! : cleared all dirty laundry out of the room and hubby's side of the bed is a bit tidier. I'm trying to pace myself so I don't get burnt out half way thru the room.. a month is a nice time frame to get this done at a slow & steady pace.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM

We got home from vacation and started immediately unpacking and doing laundry. I just have our toiletry caddy to put away and our bedroom will at least look back to normal. I need to get to the rest of my list above still.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM

I've been sitting on my hands not doing a thing regarding this challenge, so today I am going to clean out the closet and/or dresser drawers.

Edited to add that after a couple of hours, I have a less messy closet. I gathered many items that just needed to be placed in their proper place somewhere else in the house. Lots of stuff will be given away. There was a fair amount of trash/recycling (paper items, absolute junk). The rest was organized a bit better. It isn't perfect, but I have more room now. And I found 2 Mystery Science Theater 3K tapes from when the series was on the Sci-Fi channel. Yeah!!!

User Tag List