any interest in a GTD support thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 128 Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(sorry for serial posting)

Ok, so, , I went ahead and actually read through the stuff at RTM and now it seems easier. And, actually, if I can teach myself how to send direct twitter messages via txt message, I might not need that little notebook in my purse. I could dump my thoughts/ideas/snippets via twitter (if we upgrade to unlimited txting, which we kind of need to anyway---couple o' preteens in the house) into my RTM inbox and then sort them at night.

I renamed my lists tabs (home, errand, homeschool) and that's helpful. I'm still wishing stuff showed on my google calendar w/o clicking, but I think I can get over that. I'm still working on how to get my long-term goals/projects onto RTM. Right now, I have them in my home binder and online via folders in my bookmarks. I'd like to get them all online, maybe using RTM and google docs?

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#62 of 128 Old 08-02-2008, 08:10 PM

For right now, I have iGoogle as my HomePage. To be able to see both my Google Cal and my RTM at the same time, I have the RTM iGoogle addon up top and in the center. I have my Google calendar to the right at the top. And I have my Google Notebook (filling up with GTD stuff) on the top left.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#63 of 128 Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
Ok, so, , I went ahead and actually read through the stuff at RTM and now it seems easier. And, actually, if I can teach myself how to send direct twitter messages via txt message, I might not need that little notebook in my purse. I could dump my thoughts/ideas/snippets via twitter (if we upgrade to unlimited txting, which we kind of need to anyway---couple o' preteens in the house) into my RTM inbox and then sort them at night.
There could even be a Blackberry mod for that. I know there is one for gmail.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#64 of 128 Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM

yes, there is a direct blackberry linky thing. i think i need to have the full internet blackberry service tho and not the pay-by-bite (either way, i try to keep my internet usage on the phone to a minimum). I would prefer to just text in my stuff. We may upgrade or I may just wait until I get the iphone---probably for Yule.

#65 of 128 Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Hmm. I can set up RTM reminders to go to my email, IM, Skype, or a mobile device. I really *do* need something to say to me "Hey! Have you done ___ yet?" so that could really work for me. I am working on changing my tab names and making action lists in each. If I set up some of the repeating daily maintenance stuff in there with reminders, maybe that could help me keep up with it.

Ksenia ~ Thanks for the tip on having my dh access the calendar, too. Now he can add in the days his work schedule is off from the usual and things like that. SO much easier!

#66 of 128 Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Is this what you are using on Google Calendar? I didn't realize it was there.

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/googlecalendar/
Quote:
Manage your Remember The Milk tasks within Google Calendar. Remember The Milk for Google Calendar adds a small task icon to the top of each day in Google Calendar -- click on the icon to:
  • * Review your tasks for the day
    * Add new tasks and edit existing ones
    * Easily complete and postpone tasks
    * Review your overdue tasks
    * Optionally show tasks with no due date
    * See where your tasks are located on a map
Trying now.

#67 of 128 Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Yep, that's what I'm using. I don't love it, but it's the best I've seen thus far.

#68 of 128 Old 08-03-2008, 03:15 PM

How are you adding your daily routines? Are they in your RTM, JG, GC, or all?

For instance I have my First 5, Midday 5, and Final 5. I can't decide where to place them that would be the most helpful.

I've got all my datebook stuff in GC now. I'm putting the Theme Days in GC. And now I'm stuck.

#69 of 128 Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM

I'm not adding them, actually. I have them on paper, in plastic page protectors, in my binder. And then on joesgoals I have "morning ritual" and "evening ritual" as daily goals. Since these are done before and after computer time, respectively, I don't feel the need to have them online.

Right now I'm using joesgoals for daily/weekly tasks I want to make into habits; RTM for the running ideas and lists and to-dos in my head and google calendar/gmail to power my schedule. I feel like it's all coming together, although some things still need a bit of tweaking.

I got sidetracked and started working on the homeschool/homeoffice room in the basement and now I need to dump all these ideas churning through my head. Off to rtm!

#70 of 128 Old 08-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
I'm not going to even start reading up on all of the visually attractive Mac apps that all of you Mac users have available to you. I switched from PC to Mac back to PC a handful of years ago due to the games (MMORPGs) available back to PCs back then but dearly miss how pretty Macs (and their apps) are. Maybe my next computer will be a Mac. Dunno.
You can run Windows on the new Macs now. Native, not emulation. Fast. Two computers in one!

Crayfish
#71 of 128 Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
You can run Windows on the new Macs now. Native, not emulation. Fast. Two computers in one!

Crayfish
Ack! I'm not sure that I needed to know that because now I'll be lusting over one every time we walk past the Apple store. Native though...that's great to know.
#72 of 128 Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM

I'm sure someone on this thread will appreciate this

How Felicia Day Gets Things Done

http://lifehacker.com/399636/how-dr-...ts-things-done
#73 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post
I'm sure someone on this thread will appreciate this

How Felicia Day Gets Things Done

http://lifehacker.com/399636/how-dr-...ts-things-done
: Thanks Cass!!

#74 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Thanks Cass!

#75 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM

I am LOVING Remember the Milk. I have it attached to my GMail in addition to my iGoogle page. I've put my daily 5s in there for now in order to keep them up front and center. I'm hoping that, since I'm on the computer most of the day, having them essentially saying "Do me!" I'll get into a better groove of just doing them daily without the reminder.

#76 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM

I've just set things up on my computer in text files that I backup regularly. I have the following files: projects, actions, delegated, waiting on, someday_maybe, and inbox.

I keep a paper notebook around (and a smaller one in my purse) to jot down thoughts as they come. As I have time, I transpose stuff from the notebooks into the inbox file (or go ahead and do them or go ahead and integrate them into the projects/action files). I cross things on the notebooks out when it goes into my computer. I also check over my email inbox for any actions I need to take.

I number all of my projects in my projects file, and all of the actions from those projects in the actions file (and the delegated and waiting on files) are cross-referenced with that number. So, when I finish an action, I delete that action from the actions file, go to the projects file, find the corresponding project, and think of the next action and update the project and action files to reflect that (occassionally, I'll add the project to an "awaiting thought on next action" section in the projects file, but I don't allow myself to do that often).

I *think* I might integrate this into Excel at some point, but it's not a priority at all for me right now.

I've followed GTD before and got totally overwhelmed seeing all the actions and projects in front of me at all times, but I think now that my kids aren't quite so little I might do better, plus this time around, I've been pulling things into the someday_maybe file when I start feeling overwhelmed. All of the planning and thought I gave to it is still documented that way, but it's not on my current projects/tasks and that keeps me from feeling overwhelmed.

For the calendar and tickler files, I just integrated that into Google calendar.

I've tried RTM before and didn't really like it, it took more time for me to manipulate things than my plain text files do.
#77 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Also, I was wondering how many projects do you all have going? How many actions? I have 44 projects right now and 54 actions, that's not including the recurring stuff in the tickler file. That's what it took to make my head clear, but I must admit seeing those huge lists is overwhelming to me.
#78 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 PM

I agree the huge lists are hard for me too. One thing I've found helpful is to make yet another list that is of just the three things you want to get done. If you are working on your computer, you write them on a post it and stick one the lower left corner of your screen (upper on a laptop). In that spot it should stay in your vision and keep you on task. The idea came from Find Your Focus Zone. A book I found to be really helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Find-Your-Focu.../dp/1416532005
#79 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM

I usually make a "today" file cassiopeia, it's the same idea. I only put a few things on it. Sometimes I'll just write it down in my notebook instead of making a file if I know I'll need it while I'm out and about, plus anything else I might need like driving directions and stuff.
#80 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 PM

I am having a hard time getting my lists started. I can't seem to break my tasks down into smaller next actions. I'm only seeing the larger need, nt the smaller steps. Susannah and Cass, would you mind giving me an example of yours?

#81 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Are you doing this in RTM, Aoife? I think I'm going to go back to Things for some of my larger tasks (ie, set up home school room, the current project) and the put the smaller bits (measure, go through Ikea catalog with Rob, check thrift stores, etc) in RTM/on my google calendar.

I'm stuck today. It's my day off of work and I've got a budget to shop with and I've been sitting in the living room pretty much all day. Well, I've done housework and yoga, but I haven't gone anywhere yet. I don't know why. I'm overwhelmed with my home school deocrating thing, I think.

#82 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Sure, no problem. Here's a few examples:

Have an annual exam (1)
*Call ob/gyns to get an appointment on a Monday

The first line is my project (the number in parentheses is just a project number I use so I can reference back to it on my actions list), the starred line is my next action for it. Since we moved last year and I'm not established at an ob/gyn here, my previous actions I took on the project were make sure my insurance allows me to have an ob/gyn without a referral, look up a list of ob/gyns in my area on their website, talk to DH about what day of the week he can keep the kids while I go for a doctor's appointment.

Here's another one, our dining room air is broken, we think we might know the problem but we're not sure:

Fix dining room air (9)
*See if giving duct more room in attic fixes dining room air

Here's another one, I need to sell these stools:

Sell Ikea stools (35)
*Take picture of Ikea stools

Sometimes, my tasks are less then David Allen's 2 minute rule, because well, I have kids and if something involves leaving them unsupervised for 2 minutes it needs to go on my list instead of me doing it right then.

I also have actions sometimes that don't involve a project, they're stand-alone. Here's an example from my actions list:

Iron couch and chair slipcovers (no associated project)

Occasionally, I have to go back and make a project out of something I originally thought was simple, for example, if the car inspection fails and the car needs to get worked on or something like that.
#83 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Thank you! This is exactly what I need. It makes much more sense now. So often I just put things off because I have such all or nothing thinking "I don't have time to get this all done. I'll do it later" And then it becomes later, and later and later. Well, I don't HAVE to get it all done, do I? Most times things that I look at as tasks are really projects that don't have to get done all at once. Where if I would just slow down and break it down, I'd get more accomplished and likely more quickly, too.

Aha! I like how my thinking is changing - already I feel a little more positive and productive.

#84 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
Are you doing this in RTM, Aoife? I think I'm going to go back to Things for some of my larger tasks (ie, set up home school room, the current project) and the put the smaller bits (measure, go through Ikea catalog with Rob, check thrift stores, etc) in RTM/on my google calendar.
I am. I haven't given Things a real trial yet. I think I'm going to plan out my projects and actions using Susannah's style, and see where mine will fit better - RTM or Things by implementing it into both and trying them out together.

#85 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM

I like keeping a list of my actions separate from my projects (so, the actions are actually typed in 2 places, under the project and then in the actions file) because I've sorted my actions by category, like computer, phone calls, discussions, etc. I can usually knock out a few actions while I'm sitting at the computer just by looking at the computer list.
#86 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 08:12 PM

OK. So, for example, lets say my project is to clean my messy desk (let me know if that works -- I have notes on that version).

Project:
Clean the Whole Desk Area

Actions:
  • Put the shoes onto the shoe rack
  • Schedule a donate date for the books in the book bin
  • Compile all of the scrapbooking materials (sorting them and finding them a proper home will be another project)
  • Take the full binders laying out on the desk and put them onto their proper shelves
  • Compile all the loose items into a box (sorting should be a later project I am assuming?)
  • Compile all of the empty binder and folders (finding ways to use them as my 43 folders will be a later project)

Like that? At least I can do some of those right away and feel like even though I haven't cleaned my desk completely, I've gotten a good start.

Cass ~ I like the idea of having a little post-it with the three Must-Dos of the day. I used little post its as reminders for myself in college all the time. I'd forgotten how good of a tool they were for me then.

#87 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 PM

The pic worked, Joss. I think your project deets look good.

Um, I went hog wild at Ikea. I have a lot of furniture building to do! Also, I'm one leg short for the big table. Hmmm. I got a $50 gift card because I had a coupon (spend xx ,get xx in gc) that isn't good until tomorrow but if i take my kids back there this week, I think they'll hate me. lolz

#88 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM

We do not have an Ikea here. Sadness.

What did you buy?

#89 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Couple of tables, chairs, bookcase, doodads for organizing the desk area. I'll take before and after pics and start a new thread here. You should do the same w/ your desk!!

#90 of 128 Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM

Oh, the desk pic is nice. It looks like the area surrounding the desk is neat and clean at least!

No Ikea here, either. Sigh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page