any interest in a GTD support thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=939013

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#2 of 128 Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 AM

I would be very much interested but wouldn't even know where to start. The zen habits website is very overwhelming to me. But give me a starting place and I am in.
#3 of 128 Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

can you get the book?

there is this article here too:

http://www.bnet.com/2403-13074_23-52958.html

i keep starting and stopping but am in the middle of setting up my physical space.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#4 of 128 Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 AM

me! me! Been trying GTD for a couple years now. Have a hipster pda and everything.
#5 of 128 Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM

I'd be interested! I have a home management binder which has all our family stuff super organized. But *my* personal to do and such? Not so much.

I have a desktop background of the workflow chart, but I haven't started to implement it at all. I don't have the book, either. I *did* just purchased the Zen to Done ebook, and that looks good. I'm checking my library for the GTD book.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#6 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

not sure where to set this up... which forum... i am homeschooling mama who is also trying to start a business.

#7 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM

I think here is perfect. You can post a link to have people come discuss it here in another forum, though.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#8 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM

I have not heard of this before but I am definitely interested. I need a "hook" to keep me working regularly on the paperwork in this house. It gets out of control so easily and I am terrible at filing so there are just all these piles of paper in "holding patterns" and I end up missing important stuff. It's very frustrating.

I love buying and setting up office supplies, though, so I do kind of spiral forward. I have trouble staying on task.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#9 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Yes! That is me. I am fabulous at the big clean and the big de-cluttering, but the day to day maintenance, filing, etc.? I dislike it and end up procrastinating, just causing piles to build up. I am also a big time multi-tasker, so I need a good system to make myself a little more productive.

#10 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Yeah, DA is big on checklists/routines and keeping your inbox empty as much as possible. I think it would be good for keeping paperwork stuff under control.

I still have problems doing "capture" - recording all my projects and to dos.

Anyway, there's tons of GTD stuff on the web, enough to keep you from ever getting anything done again

http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/08/...ng-things-done

So, I'm going to work on writing things down as I think of it. I think part of my problem is that I'm self-conscious about constantly writing things down in my little notebook.
#11 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Oooh. I am loving the 43 folders Process to Zero for email.

#12 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Ok, so I'd really like to get a handle on household paperwork and such by then end of August. I want to start our new homeschool year with things in order. I feel like I am on my way with my home management binder, but even the use of that has not been as consitent as I envisioned.

#13 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM

I like the idea of having a short term goal like that. I can get something done in a month.

My binder is great for the family management and most frequently accessed info, but not for the 'stuff' -- papers, mail, email, appointment reminders etc etc. I have two extremes -- cluttered and strewn on my desk or the counter and tidy and in the binder or filing cabinet. I have no system for the in-betweens like 'in progress' stuff. I'm hoping GTD or ZTD can help me with that.

#14 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Ok, so, uh, how do we get started? This is actually a good time for me, as I am home from work the next few days and we don't have too very much on the social calendar.

I will check my library for the book and hopefully start on a plan soon. I'd like to set aside time tomorrow to get started, at least on some of the piles of mail and such.

#15 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 05:56 PM

If you have a Mac, OmniFocus is based on GTD (they'll support other To Do schemes later, but GTD is their initial focus), is modestly priced, and is pretty nice. I just started playing with it.

Crayfish
#16 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Zen Habits has a page of Simplifying David Allen’s Complicated GTD Setup.

I think to start, I'm going to ponder the questions ZH poses. Essentially -- Do you even have a system setup? What setup are you currently using? Is your setup complicated or simple? Is there value in simplifying your setup?

I'm going to think on what have and don't have, what I use and don't use tonight and share my discoveries here tomorrow.

The gist I'm getting is that the very first *doing* step is to collect all of our stuff into one area (on a list, in a box, a digital file). Processing it comes later.

#17 of 128 Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks! I'm going to look into the resources ya'll have shared. I'm going to dinner w/ some unorganized friends, and there will be wine, so not sure what I'll get to tonight. But I plan on stopping by this thread in the morning.

#18 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

So part of my problem appears to be that my 'system' for paper is bunch a of small, messy systems. Piles. An overflowing bin. More than one notebook floating around. Multiple, unfinished To Do lists. Paper calendar not matching the online calendar. :

My important and frequently accessed information is stored well, though. File cabinet. File box. Home management binder.

It's the bills, mail, and day-to-day paperwork and chores that are the issue. Basically everything requiring daily maintenance of some sort.

#19 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Me too, Fog! I am working today on this! I'm really excited. I feel like a dork but I got up at 6am and was excited to get started. I'm taking a breakfast break now, but I already have an enormous pile of paper that is being recycled. I'm keeping track of the new system over at google docs so that I can access it from any computer in the house.

#20 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
I'm keeping track of the new system over at google docs so that I can access it from any computer in the house.
Do you mean like in list format?

Also -- you have a Blackberry iirc, right? Do you use it for organizing or plan to use it? I've been eyeing them, the Palm, and the iPhone for awhile. (can get a new phone in January per Verizon's new in 2 thingy) But I have this problem with just loving gadgets. I would need to actually USE it to get something other than just a phone. kwim?

#21 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Oh. I didn't even address my computer and online clutter. It is also pretty messy. I'm seeing things I need to spend time doing. Process email to zero being number one. I get far more email notices from multiple websites and groups than I need, or than I even actually use.

#22 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM

Yes, so far, it's in a list. however, I may make something in excel just for fun. I'd like dp to get out budget on there. That way, I could input a bill (he pays most online, but not things like medical bills, of which we have a ton) onto the google spreadsheet and he would know about it---he really don't read the paper mail and the piles of "his" stuff I set aside just get bigger and bigger until they start to topple and I just toss the whole blasted thing into the recycling bin.

We used to do this thing where I went through the paperwork every Sunday night while watching Extreme Home Makeover. He would come in at the end and go through the stuff I set aside for him. I'm thinking we should go back to that, and incorporate a weekly family meeting for meal planning (I do that now, w/ the kids, but usually during the day and right before a grocery shop so we often feel rushed and are in a menu planning rut---we could use some fresh blood!). Those family meetings would be really helpful once we go back to ur more formal academic stuff in September.

I don't use my blackberry for any of that stuff. I can't really figure out how to use it that way. I do use it to check email every now and again. Mostly, though, I just use it as a phone and to hold music. I do text a LOT more with it. I do a lot of twittering from it.

#23 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 PM

So now I'm finding too much online geeky stuff. I need less. Not more!

But I like the http://www.joesgoals.com you shared. I'm also checking out http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ and have added Lightning and Google Provider to my Thunderbird email. I'll report back with a review.

#24 of 128 Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 PM

Ok, well, I moved on from Joesgoals because I absolutely feel head over heels in dorky-office-lust with Things!!!!!!!! The screencast literally had me giddy! Plus, it's still in the feebie stage! So, go get it!

I'm playing with it right now. It's very simple and cool. Of, I found it throug this awesome review, where it was ranked above iGTD, omnifocus and Midnight Inbox. The review is here but please be careful, because it's pretty easy to lose a good bit of time at that site too!

eta: I'm thinking about getting thunderbird but I think for now, I'll try and get my morning and evening rituals habitualized (yeah, i made thatup) and then work on further simplifying my online mail.

#25 of 128 Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 AM

I just bumped into this thread. Some organization would be a good thing in my life. I've been starting to work on a 'home binder' (bought a cute binder, decided which binder tabs I have to have, all of the fun stuff ) now I need to get to figuring out what I want in the binder. I got hung up last week trying to find 'printables' that I liked but couldn't find any that didn't have web page names on them

Anyway...I wanted to post a site I found last week, similar to RememberTheMilk - it's Todoist. I like that I can separate my 'home projects' from 'personal projects', etc and I like the look of it too. I don't remember off the top of my head why I thought it was better than RememberTheMilk last week though
#26 of 128 Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 AM

Oh, that todoist looks good! Can it work with google calendar?

FoG, I downloaded thunderbird but, uh, I'm not sure I get how to work it. I mean, I have my mac and gmail going there. Can I get my yahoo stuff to go there too? I want to be able to set up filters so that I can better prioritize the tasks that come to me via email.

#27 of 128 Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
Ok, well, I moved on from Joesgoals because I absolutely feel head over heels in dorky-office-lust with Things!!!!!!!! The screencast literally had me giddy! Plus, it's still in the feebie stage! So, go get it!
Downloaded! Screencast was great in explaining it. Tags look cool.

Quote:
The review is here but please be careful, because it's pretty easy to lose a good bit of time at that site too!
You were right. Just the name pulled me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
Anyway...I wanted to post a site I found last week, similar to RememberTheMilk - it's Todoist. I like that I can separate my 'home projects' from 'personal projects', etc and I like the look of it too.
Oooh I'm liking this, too. I like all the plugins and that it is web-based so I can access it from any device I have.

I have lots to tinker with this weekend! Thanks you two!

#28 of 128 Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM

I'm excited. I think this could be SO good for me. I'm a procrastinator by nature, but sometimes it is simply unavoidable. With 3 special needs children, a lot of prioritizing has to go on. But often what I say "oh I'll just do that later" to gets forgotten.

#29 of 128 Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 PM

I know, FoG! I totally feel the same way. I love that I can take all those grand ideas in my head for things to do and put them *somewhere*. That's the part of GTD that really speaks to me, to be able to kind of put all my ideas and running mental lists down.

I'm going to start doing a DDD---Daily Data Dump----at night. We really need to be tracking ds's blood glucose numbers and carb intake and I am starting to carry a notebook to jot ideas down. So, as part of my evening ritual, I'm going to sit at the computer ('cuz, I do that already every night!), and take the info from my notebook and the data from ds's insulin pump and monitor and get it all in there. Honestly, I doubt this will take more than 5-7 minutes. With ds, we tend to procrastinate and then we have to put in 2 weeks of numbers all at once and it's just awful!

I'm 2/3 of the way through my paper piles! yay!!!

My Triple H (Household, Health, Homeschool) filing system is really helpful. I think I'm going to make an art piece, maybe a cloth, of the triple moon (waxing, full, waning) to place under the file boxes on teh shelf, reminding me of the order and spirituality of the number 3.

#30 of 128 Old 08-01-2008, 01:09 PM

I want to get and decorate a special small notebook that I can tuck in my purse to use as my idea inbox. Still working on it.

Loving Things so far. Especially the inbox. I can just type stuff in there as I think of it and sort it later in the day. I love the idea of setting a time in the evening for DDD. I'm going to try that.

Todoist is next on my 'to try' list. This is fun.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page