Should I keep these clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD #2 who is 3 years old has way to many summer clothes. She has lots of hand-me-downs and some news stuff. I want to go through them and donate most of them. But they are still in good condition and I'm wondering if I should save them for DD#3 who is 1 1/2 years old. Or should I just plan on saving the outfits that I really like. But then I think that if dd#2 has a lot fewer outfits they will get more wear and ay not be in good enough condition to hand down. So how do you handle hand-me-downs?
#2 of 5 Old 07-31-2008, 11:51 PM

I deal with this too, I have 4 girls all 1.5 years apart so we do a LOT of handing down =) I save stuff that is in good shape that I am sure the next child will wear (my kids are picky about necks and decals and seams etc), then I also make sure I have enough so that if something gets ruined (I am horrible at getting stains out!) I have back ups, so I try to keep a months worth of Sunday clothes and enough shirts for 2 weeks of play, but I try to have each age fit into 1 rubbermaid container, that way things dont get way out of hand =) Plus our thrift stores and garage sales are good around here so I know I can shop there and fill in any gaps that I need to.

Good luck!
Anna
#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 AM

I also have 3 girls, 3 different sizes (even though the first 2 are twins). I pretty much saved everthing while it's still being worn (if someone fits it) but I'm picky about when Rivka outgrows stuff what to save. If dd3 has a lot of nice clothes, I might put some away for dd4. I found that it only takes 1 stain to ruin an outfit, and it really stinks to have 15 outfits of girls clothing and have to go out and buy somthing b/c the stuff is worn / has a stain / etc. I will also say that for plain weekday clothes, by the time the twins have worn it (usually for 2 seasons) it's already past prime when it goes to Rivka (okay for preschool / around the house, but not so nice anymore kwim?). By the time Rivka's done for it, it usually goes out. I have saved some of her stuff that's really in good shape, but a lot of it winds up going out.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 5 Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 AM

My dd's are 3 years apart and I save everything thats in good condition.

If you have the storage room, why not?

It saves me from having to go clothes shopping (which I hate!) and so far the only thing we've had to buy for dd2 is boots, and shes almost 2.
#5 of 5 Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM

DS is 2 1/2 years older then DD, and those two years go by fast! I saved quite a bit of his g/n things that was still nice, plus most of his shoes. I have a rubbermaid in the closet that I keep it all in (including stuff from buying ahead when things are on sale and/or an excellent thrift find) and it's SO nice to pull out the stash at the start of the season and see that between hand-me-downs and smart sale buys that she already has most of what she'll need.

Maybe 1/4 of DD's clothes come from DS, but most of her shoes have... when he was small he'd outgrow a pair before they'd get much wear (now he wears them so hard that they just go straight in the trash once he's outgrown them). DD's next pair are bright red Keens that DS wore for a whole month before they were too small!

Yes, definitely save it if you have the space- you'll be using it before you know it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page