don't wanna be gross, but...what to do with bras, socks, and underware? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Organize & Declutter > don't wanna be gross, but...what to do with bras, socks, and underware?
onlyAngil's Avatar onlyAngil 11:25 AM 09-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Donate everything in good condition. I have bought socks from Salvation Army before. And I have seen undies for sale there as well. There are people who will appreciate them. Don't project your hang ups on people who can't afford to have hang ups .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
(bolding mine)

So well said! Thank you.
Salvation Army can not sleep used panties!!! >.< The ones they have there are 2nds or 3rds from wholesalers who are just looking to get rid of them. While yes
Quote:
Don't project your hang ups on people who can't afford to have hang ups .
, they will not take them, and if they are in with other things, they might get rid of it all or at lest not sell them.

If there is something cute on them, i.e. at pic of a bear on the tushy, you might cut it out and save it for a craft or a patch or something like that. I cut out the tushys for rags as well. Socks are good for puppets, or washing dusting, ext. Bras are great to donate, or hang it up and put fruit in, jkin, do not do that, or if you do take a pic I would love to see. lol

Marissa88's Avatar Marissa88 12:04 PM 09-15-2008
I agree, donate the bras. Someone could use them for sure. Close your eyes and through the undies and socks away.. Just don't look it doesn't seem as bad.
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 03:31 AM 09-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Donate everything in good condition. I have bought socks from Salvation Army before. And I have seen undies for sale there as well. There are people who will appreciate them. Don't project your hang ups on people who can't afford to have hang ups .
You know, that's a great point. I would have said "trash the undies, eeew", but I'm not the one who needs them and/or would be buying them so what do I care? If someone buys undies second-hand, they obviously need them. Thanks 4evermom.

Also, what about a shelter?

Why would one throw away socks?
hananana's Avatar hananana 04:16 PM 09-17-2008
Donate the bras.

Use socks and undies as rags.

Cut up any (washed) extra socks and undies into tiny pieces and use to stuff a pillow.
Crayfish's Avatar Crayfish 05:26 PM 09-17-2008
OK, I have to say it:

It's OK to just throw the socks and underpants out. It's absolutely fine.

If you have plenty of time and your house is in perfect running order, maybe you have the time and the inclination to find a reuse for everything. If you don't and it's not? Throw them out.

That's bad for the environment, you may say? Yes, but are you perfect in every _other_ way? Do you have time to walk to the store to avoid pollution? Do you have time to cook every night to avoid packaged foods? Do you have time to research local sources for all products, to avoid buying items that have been transported halfway across the world? Do you have time to grow your own vegetables so that much of your food never has to be transported at all? Do you have time to volunteer for charities or important political causes? Is your house a clean, happy serene place?

It's always a compromise. Using your precious time to find a use for things that in most places you _cannot donate_ because it's illegal to sell them, is probably not the best use of your time.

Just throw them out.

Crayfish
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 06:15 PM 09-18-2008
With "questionable" items, I'll often offer them on Freecycle, then if I don't get any takers after a few days I'll toss them without guilt.

In general, my undies are pretty threadbare by the time I'm ready to toss them. My bras usually get all worn out but I have donated bras that no longer fit (due to weight loss) and were still in good condition. The only time I gave away underwear recently was children's that had been outgrown long before being worn out (thanks to Grandma stocking up a style they no longer liked, and hardly worn after I purchased the preferred kind) and they were snatched up pretty quickly on Freecycle.
crosscat's Avatar crosscat 06:23 PM 09-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by April411 View Post
Used VS bras actually sell pretty well on ebay:

Here's one that is selling for $9+ shipping
http://tinyurl.com/6dac2r
I hear you can get good money for used underwear online, too.
1  2

Up