don't wanna be gross, but...what to do with bras, socks, and underware? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just cleaned out the dresser and have a grocery bag full of stuff i no longer need or want. Problem is it's bras, undies, and socks. I don't want to be gross by taking these to the local "goodwill"-type place and offending anyone if it's not proper to donate undergarments ( i don't know????), but i also hate to just trash perfectly good stuff (warn maybe once?)
these are VS bras - some worn once only. the others look never worn, even though they were a handful of times. the undies are also VS - i went a little cuckoo and thought thongs were a good idea for me a while back. not so much. now, i have a handful of thongs worn once or never. i don't have tags, but this stuff really does look new.
what would you do with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 PM

I have donated barely used vs bras before to goodwill. Socks I keep to dust or clean with. Undies are a different story. I'm usually getting rid of ones that are somewhat worn, so I just trash them. I'd feel funny about taking them to goodwill, but then again, goodwill is a madhouse and people grab any and everything. If they're brand new.. just stick them in the bottom of your donation bag and drive away

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Bras in good condition with no stains I would donate.
Underware and socks go in the trash, unless never worn.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM

freecycle.org !!!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 08-06-2008, 05:07 PM

I would donate bras if they're in good condition. For socks we tie a knot in them and use it as a dog toy. Underwear, unless it's never been worn, gets trashed.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Donate everything in good condition. I have bought socks from Salvation Army before. And I have seen undies for sale there as well. There are people who will appreciate them. Don't project your hang ups on people who can't afford to have hang ups .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If they're in good shape, donate them. If they're worn out, throw them out.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 PM

I donate good bras. Socks I keep as rags.
Undies maybe donate if they look really good, like perfect. I know many places just throw undies.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 PM

If they're in decent shape, donate them. Many places really will sell them and many people really do buy them secondhand.

If it's worn out, just toss or turn into rags or something. But really that goes for all potential donations.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Another vote for donating them! There's a huge rack of lingerie at my local thrift stores. And, I've even bought from it! :

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Socks that are still in ok shape with no holes, you can make rice socks for this winter. Fill one up with rice, tie a knot in the end, then use another one as the "washable cover." Heat it in the microwave, then toss it in the bottom of your bed to keep your feet warm in winter. Or use it on aches and pains.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 AM

There's a recycling center near here that takes textiles. I'd feed more comfortable putting underwear in a bin like that. I have no idea what they do with it.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 AM

Check with the organization before you donate bras/underwear. yes, *some* do sell bras, but the rules are getting more strict on that sort of thing.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 AM

Bras and socks I would donate..
Undies I would trash unless new

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Donate everything in good condition. I have bought socks from Salvation Army before. And I have seen undies for sale there as well. There are people who will appreciate them. Don't project your hang ups on people who can't afford to have hang ups .
(bolding mine)

So well said! Thank you.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 AM

Donate them. I know that some charity places in the UK, at least, sort through stuff and items that they don't sell in stores get handed on to other organizations, like ones that take stuff overseas.

My feeling is that anyway, it's better to donate them and let the charity decide, than toss them yourself. If the charity can't use them, they'll toss them, but if they can, they'll get used. If you toss them, there is no chance that they'll ever see light of day again.

If I were sure that the charity store won't take them, I'd try to freecycle.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 AM

I used to work at a shelter, and we used the bras and socks that were donated as long as they were in good shape. However, we did throw away the used underwear.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM

our local places will not take used underwear..YES, they sell underwear, but it is all factory seconds stuff that is brand NEW.

CPST
Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum View Post
My feeling is that anyway, it's better to donate them and let the charity decide, than toss them yourself. If the charity can't use them, they'll toss them, but if they can, they'll get used.
generally, I agree - I "yell" at people routinely who throw away clothes because they are a little dirty - BUT there is also another position to consider. Burdening a charity with items they will have to dispose of (trash) - is inconsiderate.

I was in contact with volunteers who were handling the donations for Katrina refugees. And they were embarrassed by the crap that people were giving them. It's one thing to be genuinely trying to help by giving away what you can no longer use. It's unacceptable to consider a charity to be a substitute for a trash can.

I know that's not what you mean, but I've spent a good amount of energy over the years trying to avoid trashing things. I've researched options in Houston for where to donate really worn-out things, and it is usually a dead end. I'm what most people consider a radical with regards to how to give away what we don't need anymore. But one thing I've truly come to appreciate is that charities usually don't need your trash. If an item REALLY is destined for the garbage (holey socks and underwear really are the exception in my book), then it is much more appropriate for ME to be the one to do that. I don't even donate stained/flawed clothing to charities anymore, after hearing feedback from Katrina. I prefer to give away those things on freecycle to people who are aware of what they are receiving.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Used VS bras actually sell pretty well on ebay:

Here's one that is selling for $9+ shipping
http://tinyurl.com/6dac2r

You can use the socks for cleaning or making sock puppets for the kiddos. I'm not sure about the undies though. It they are like new maybe I friend or relative wouldn't mind taking them.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
generally, I agree - I "yell" at people routinely who throw away clothes because they are a little dirty - BUT there is also another position to consider. Burdening a charity with items they will have to dispose of (trash) - is inconsiderate.

I was in contact with volunteers who were handling the donations for Katrina refugees. And they were embarrassed by the crap that people were giving them. It's one thing to be genuinely trying to help by giving away what you can no longer use. It's unacceptable to consider a charity to be a substitute for a trash can.

I know that's not what you mean, but I've spent a good amount of energy over the years trying to avoid trashing things. I've researched options in Houston for where to donate really worn-out things, and it is usually a dead end. I'm what most people consider a radical with regards to how to give away what we don't need anymore. But one thing I've truly come to appreciate is that charities usually don't need your trash. If an item REALLY is destined for the garbage (holey socks and underwear really are the exception in my book), then it is much more appropriate for ME to be the one to do that. I don't even donate stained/flawed clothing to charities anymore, after hearing feedback from Katrina. I prefer to give away those things on freecycle to people who are aware of what they are receiving.
Don't some charities sell the unusable clothing to textile recyclers though? I think I have read that there are some companies that can make use out of old unwearable garments by recycling the fibers, and that charities can at least get some cash this way.

Am I dreaming about that?

I was searching for this subject because I have 4 VS bras I'd like to get rid of and some underwear that is in very good shape - clean and barely used. I really hate to just send it off to a landfill.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
And here I felt like a common criminal for donating all of my underthings to Good Will (hidden at the bottom of a bag of more "legitimate" items). : This thread is so validating!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 PM

I think there are places that turn the used clothes into rags- they bale them up and ship them off.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:57 PM

I use old undies and socks as cleaning/dusting cloths. If you feel weird about that, you could always cut the crotch out of the undies and then cut up one side, so really you just have a piece of cloth left. Although, if your undies are all lace and string this wouldn't work so well. My undies are cotton, so they become perfect cleaning cloths.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
This needs to be on pg 2, as well
If they are in such good shape that you can't tell if they are new and just had the tags cut off, DONATE! I've bought thrift store undies, 25 cents... and I boiled 'em when I got home I've bought swim suits, too, and never thought twice about it until now!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 09-13-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I understand that some charities may be able to take these things. But I don't think that we can be confident that all charities, in all counties and states and countries, will or can follow suit. I think that when dealing with things that may be trash, it's important to ask before donating.

If the charity is required to throw donations out, that donation is costing money that could otherwise be used to help these people. Adding a few items to a household's trash probably won't require an extra can or an extra bag and therefore probably won't cost the householder any money. Adding a few unusable items to each of hundreds of donations will probably force the charity to rent a larger dumpster or otherwise pay more for their trash, and will therefore cost the charity money - money that could be used to help the people who can't afford hang ups. So the householder may feel good about finding a "good home" for those items, not realizing that he's essentially drained money away from the charity.

It's good to try to keep things out of the landfill, but it's not good when the effort not only fails, but also costs a charity money that they can ill afford, in the failing. The only good to come out of that is making the donater feel (falsely) better.

Crayfish
Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Very good points Crayfish...
However, if you know the place you are donating to, and know that they DO sell unmentionables, then don't let your own embarassment stop you from donating-- if, and ONLY if, the items are of usable or like-new quality.

Oh, and I've also asked specifically for holey wool sweaters and stained/holey t-shirts for diaper making.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 09-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Just check out your charity's website or call an see if they will take like new underthings. I had a whole box of toddler undies (all clean and stain free) and I sold every pair at my garage sale. I was really surprised that anyone would buy them. Check with close friends and family members. Maybe one of them would like the vs undies and bras.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM

I would donate it all.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April411 View Post
Used VS bras actually sell pretty well on ebay:

Here's one that is selling for $9+ shipping
http://tinyurl.com/6dac2r

I've *heard* that you can sell used panties online for good money, too... but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, isn't it?

User Tag List