I've noticed a trend in friends' houses - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you can have both

IF

you have a garage or shed to store everything away out of sight that you want to hold on to

(that's my method!)
#32 of 36 Old 08-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGuinn View Post
We are a thrift store/freecycle/craigslist free/side of the street shopper family and we have no problem redonating things that we aren't using anymore.
This is exactly what we do! (I got all my matching dishes for my open cabinet at a thrift store.) I have no problem getting rid of things, especially if someone else can use them. I have a donation box that gets filled regularly but it gets emptied regularly too because we are ALWAYS going to the thrift store: (in fact I think we will go today)
#33 of 36 Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
I'm a little late to the conversation here, but I love this thread, and this board.

Just wanted to add, I got a phone call from Old Navy yesterday, inviting me to come in and "stuff" my bag. Totally irritated me. I try not to go into Old Navy any more. The prices are irresistable, and I always used to get more than I needed. Now it's only socks. Pretty much.
Bloomingdales calls me too! (but I asked them to) I dont buy a lot of clothes (because my taste is bigger than my wallet) so it easy to keep my spending and clutter in check if I only feel comfortable buying one or three key pieces a season. I also go through my closet about every six months to see if there is anything I should take to the conignment store, Ebay or give away.

In the past, buying cheap clothes = too much clutter especially if they wear out within months or weeks (as Old Navy clothes do to me) and I end up wearing them in the house only. I dont need 30 'round-the-house' shirts.
#34 of 36 Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 PM

I've noticed the same thing!
#35 of 36 Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
I found myself buying something used at a thrift or yard-sale or having it give to me for free that 'will work' but not really what I really wanted... it's useful and it's serving a purpose, but not really what I would of chosen 1st if my frugality and environmentality didn't stand in the way...
yes, i was going to say something along these lines. Because i have always been an environmentalist w/ no money, i always took what i could find that was cheap and fit the bill...sometimes i loved it too, but most of the time i settled for what i could get. but now that i'm older, i think i'm ready to hold off until i can get what i really want. I don't mind buying new if it is exactly what i'm looking for, and know that i'll be keeping it forever. that being said, i always check used, consignment, or antique shops first.

i'm ready to live in a home that is asthetically pleasing to me. It's good for my soul. just because someplace is neat and tidy and uncluttered does not mean that it's pleasing or soothing to me.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#36 of 36 Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can initiate the "one thing in, one thing out" rule without adding to the landfill. It means that you donate something every time you buy something new, rather than throwing things away. We recycle a lot of empty food containers rather than throwing them out- but little else can really be recycled around here. I also have zero guilt throwing out empty packaging as soon as an item is opened up, or broken toys as soon as they break (if its' not fixable). I make every effort to minimize the inflow (I'll seek out products with less packaging in the first place) but once the garbage is in my home, I don't feel guilty for throwing it out. I also keep a running "thrift store bag" that we add to as needed.

I love shopping thrift stores- in fact, I've got a huge pile of stuff to go out, but I want to wait until PMS bloating is gone before dumping it so I can go shopping while I'm there.

I won't even spend $1 on an item that I have no use for, or clothing I won't wear. I don't bring things into my home that I don't need (not that the kids never do....)

My health is the biggest challenge to being tidy. Theoretically we could have done a lot of decluttering today but I lacked the energy to move. It's an ongoing process. I can't live in the modern world and completely stop the inflow of stuff, so the outflow needs to be steady as well.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page