Cleaning List - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
tresleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I am cleaning. My whole house.

I asked two teenagers to help me, they take direction well and are hard workers. Plus I really enjoy being around them. I put some chocolate out, and the girls have their mp3 on.

My list:
wash all baseboards, door frames, doors (upstairs and downstairs)
scrub kitchen cabinets (inside and out)
clean all appliances (washer, dryer, fridge and stove)
scrub both bathrooms (toilets, tub, floor and vanities)
handwash wood floors (about 1500 square feet)
shampoo the bedroom carpet

I hope to get it done before 4pm.
Thanks for reading - posting here keeps me accountable!
Anyone else having a Cleaning Day?
tresleo is offline  
#2 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
 
mommathea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like a good list. Lucky you having helpers!
I'm doing a partial cleaning day. Being 36wks preggo with 3 kids 4 and under makes it a little tiering.

1. Sweep and vaccum through the house (down stairs is done)
2. Clean the bathroom - sink, mirror, toilet, floor (dh just cleaned the tub and shower)
3. wash door frames and doors
4. wash windows
5 organize the toy bins

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
mommathea is offline  
#3 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
 
WonderMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North Dakota (donchyaknow)
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can do it!!

I am tackling a painting project today, which means I will desperately need a cleaning day later this week!
WonderMa is offline  
#4 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
tresleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I got most of it done - but it was well after 4pm...what was I thinking?!?

Baseboards, door frames and doors upstairs and down are all done.
Kitchen cabinets are all done.
Appliances are mostly done - just have to do the inside of the oven. :
Still have the living room and dining room floor to wash...ugh!
And I'm delegating the carpet shampooing to my dh! (I did spot scrub it, though.)

I also vaccuumed the whole third floor and put the kids toys away to do so.
tresleo is offline  
#5 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
tresleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
sounds like a good list. Lucky you having helpers!
I'm doing a partial cleaning day. Being 36wks preggo with 3 kids 4 and under makes it a little tiering.

1. Sweep and vaccum through the house (down stairs is done)
2. Clean the bathroom - sink, mirror, toilet, floor (dh just cleaned the tub and shower)
3. wash door frames and doors
4. wash windows
5 organize the toy bins
How did it go?

Its funny, after my last baby was born I said to my dh our house will never get deep cleaned again since we don't plan on any more babies and that's the only time I clean like this!
tresleo is offline  
#6 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
tresleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMa View Post
You can do it!!

I am tackling a painting project today, which means I will desperately need a cleaning day later this week!
Ohhh, painting! That's so much work!
Hope you enjoy it more than I do, and are having fun!

Did you get done what you wanted to?
tresleo is offline  
#7 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
 
sunnysandiegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you doing? How fun to have people you like helping you out!

DD and I have worked together this week. She's 7, so it is real work, but is limited.

Emptied her bedroom, cleaned top to bottom, cleaned and evaluated every single item before it re-entered the room, changed the arrangement, and washed ALL the bedding (air-dried it outside, so it smells delightful). We all love it!

Cleaned master bedroom top to bottom, went through bottom of my half of the closet, put everything away, and washed ALL the bedding (air-drying now).

Cleaned kitchen (all horizontal surfaces), but not in cabinets. They were decluttered and cleaned not long ago (as were all the clothes in the house).

Cleaned upstairs bathrooms.

Dusted and vacuumed hallway upstairs.

Started cleaning family office. Dusted it and went through certain areas of "stuff". Recycled two bags of paper trash (shredded sensitive stuff first). DD took care of her desk. I took care of my desk and three other areas. DH gets to take care of his desk and the floor near it. I have two more areas to do, then I can vacuum well. The window could use washing. I dusted the window sill, but a washing would be better.

Vacuumed living room. Straightened up a little, but we usually straighten it up every evening. There are 6 bags of donations from the bedrooms sitting here to be delivered later this week.

I need to thoroughly dust the downstairs still.

The laundry/powder room needs a little attention.

The extra room needs a lot of work. Sigh.

The backyard and frontyard need some attention.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

sunnysandiegan is offline  
#8 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
tresleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
How are you doing? How fun to have people you like helping you out!

DD and I have worked together this week. She's 7, so it is real work, but is limited.

Emptied her bedroom, cleaned top to bottom, cleaned and evaluated every single item before it re-entered the room, changed the arrangement, and washed ALL the bedding (air-dried it outside, so it smells delightful). We all love it!

Cleaned master bedroom top to bottom, went through bottom of my half of the closet, put everything away, and washed ALL the bedding (air-drying now).

Cleaned kitchen (all horizontal surfaces), but not in cabinets. They were decluttered and cleaned not long ago (as were all the clothes in the house).

Cleaned upstairs bathrooms.

Dusted and vacuumed hallway upstairs.

Started cleaning family office. Dusted it and went through certain areas of "stuff". Recycled two bags of paper trash (shredded sensitive stuff first). DD took care of her desk. I took care of my desk and three other areas. DH gets to take care of his desk and the floor near it. I have two more areas to do, then I can vacuum well. The window could use washing. I dusted the window sill, but a washing would be better.

Vacuumed living room. Straightened up a little, but we usually straighten it up every evening. There are 6 bags of donations from the bedrooms sitting here to be delivered later this week.

I need to thoroughly dust the downstairs still.

The laundry/powder room needs a little attention.

The extra room needs a lot of work. Sigh.

The backyard and frontyard need some attention.
Wow! Awesome job. Reading your post makes me think of those laundry commercials, where the fresh air is breezing through the whole house and you could practically float through!

I took a break, and trying to decide if I should stay up and finish or wait till morning. I'd love to finish tonight and wake up to a totally clean house, but man am I tired!
tresleo is offline  
#9 of 11 Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 AM
 
sunnysandiegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I hadn't realized how much we'd accomplished until I typed it all out. LOL I've been feeling tired and my muscles are sore, but I thought it was from the pushup challenge I also started this week.

I paid attention to the backyard this evening and it is 90% done now. I will bring in the last sheet before bed and retract the clothesline. I plan to water thoroughly tomorrow. I need to find a tray of some kind to place a new plant in before bringing it back inside. I tried an experiment and it didn't work, so the plant is outside airing out and hopefully recovering.

I plan to finish everything except the extra room and possibly the (rest of the) office before we leave town early next week. As soon as DH cleans up his desk (and floor near it), the office will look so much better. I focused on the most visually annoying things today already and he said he would do it tonight. I expect it done sometime before we leave, but am not holding my breath for tonight. LOL I could certainly straighten up a little in the extra room, but ultimately the challenge there is we are repurposing the room and haven't got a clue what it is going to be next...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

sunnysandiegan is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
 
WonderMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North Dakota (donchyaknow)
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
Ohhh, painting! That's so much work!
Hope you enjoy it more than I do, and are having fun!

Did you get done what you wanted to?

I'll be honest, I hate painting. Really, it's like torture!

My DH is an artist and I am always hoping that he'll paint things for me, but he doesn't have time.

I got five drawers ready to paint, with two coats of primer. I am painting them bright colors and then putting some decorative detailing on them. Two will go under the kids' bed to keep things from getting shoved in there, and one will go on top of my fridge. Another one is going to become my yarn basket.

They're really just the right size drawers, too. If I ever finish I'll post pics!
WonderMa is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
 
sunnysandiegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Thanks! I hadn't realized how much we'd accomplished until I typed it all out. LOL I've been feeling tired and my muscles are sore, but I thought it was from the pushup challenge I also started this week.

I paid attention to the backyard this evening and it is 90% done now. I will bring in the last sheet before bed and retract the clothesline. I plan to water thoroughly tomorrow. I need to find a tray of some kind to place a new plant in before bringing it back inside. I tried an experiment and it didn't work, so the plant is outside airing out and hopefully recovering.

I plan to finish everything except the extra room and possibly the (rest of the) office before we leave town early next week. As soon as DH cleans up his desk (and floor near it), the office will look so much better. I focused on the most visually annoying things today already and he said he would do it tonight. I expect it done sometime before we leave, but am not holding my breath for tonight. LOL I could certainly straighten up a little in the extra room, but ultimately the challenge there is we are repurposing the room and haven't got a clue what it is going to be next...
Well, DH did finish his desk last night and the floor!

DD & I had errands to run today, so we weren't home much. I did manage to give the front yard some love and attention and even DH noticed. I also finished up the backyard by adding compost to the beds and all the indoor plants (dragged them all outside) and showered it all thoroughly. DH took care of two new and relatively small wasp nests I found today. : When the indoor plants are dry enough, I will bring them in and then the backyard will officially be finished (for this round).

When I went to find a plastic tray to go underneath the plant in the living room, DD shrieked, "That's PLASTIC, Mommy!" I was a bit taken aback and carried it through the store anyway. When I reached the kitchen section, I was looking for more glass containers for food storage and a glass plate/tray called out to me. I put the traditional plastic plant tray back and we have a glass one ready for the plant when it is dry enough to come inside. :

The next few days are really busy for us and then we leave town for nearly two weeks. I'll be lucky to get the packing done between now and then, so I am officially done with my cleaning list until September. I am very happy with our house and my progress!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

sunnysandiegan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off