Mothering Forum banner

best way to store lots of blankets in a small space?

31K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Janewillys 
#1 ·
DH decided he wants to keep enough blankets for a small hotel, and I need to figure out a way to fit them all into half of a long but narrow bedroom closet. Right now they're stacked on a 4 shelf wire shelf, but they still don't all fit. Is there a better way to organize/fold/compress them so more will fit?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post
You could store them in those bags that you can suck the air out of. Even garbage bags would work if you pushed all the air out and tied them tightly.
I just ordered a bunch of those.They get a good rating.I paid $50 for 15 I think.I want to put all of the clothes that we are saving in them along with the extra blankets,comforters etc.
I was tempted to pay rush shipping because I as so excited to get all of these clothes organized but the frugal side of me put the kabosh on that!!LOL
spacebags.com

#7 ·
I'm going to fifth the Space Bag (or equiv) idea.
I also use them for pillows and then just throw them all under the bed. Perfect!!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
can you store them between your matress and box spring flat? would eleminate thm totally from the closet.
Oh, I like this idea!

And space bags are great, as long as they don't loose their seal. They're also hard to stack, because they slip off of each other. But otherwise great.

OP, I feel your pain. I guess there were a lot of quilters in DH's family that have since passed, and he can't bear to part with the 800 blankets they gave him. Some of them are ugly as sin and he would never even remember that they exist (since they are stored out of sight) except that I remind him every few years when I ask him if we can donate them

Plus, he has three pillows. THREE! He throws two of them on the floor every night before he goes to bed. Then I have to pick them up when I make the bed in the morning. *sigh* And like the blankets, he won't get rid of them.

#10 ·
I got space bags from a couple of big box stores and they absolutely didn't work; the seams broke immediately on a few, and on the ones that didn't, they broke while they were under my bed. (I didn't over-stuff them either.) Garbage bags might have worked better.

Might your DH be OK with donating some of the quilts to a museum or maybe a charity? Or poor older people in your community? Donate to a church for a fund-raising event? (They used to hold an annual quilt raffle at the church I went to as a child.) Or maybe donate it to a country fair? There are a lot of people who would benefit from the quilt and your DH might feel better.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fujiko View Post
Oh, I like this idea!
Plus, he has three pillows. THREE! He throws two of them on the floor every night before he goes to bed. Then I have to pick them up when I make the bed in the morning. *sigh* And like the blankets, he won't get rid of them.

We must be married to the same man. He also must have at least four blankets on the bed, even in the summer.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderMa View Post
We must be married to the same man. He also must have at least four blankets on the bed, even in the summer.

Mine throws a fit when I make the bed--says it messes it up. Never mind that I have to make the bed before I can sleep in it anyway because he thrashes around and the blankets end up in the middle or at the foot of the bed. He also dislikes sleeping under the comforter unless it's really cold and will take one or more blankets to bed to sleep under instead. It must be a guy thing!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineMama View Post
Might your DH be OK with donating some of the quilts to a museum or maybe a charity? Or poor older people in your community? Donate to a church for a fund-raising event? (They used to hold an annual quilt raffle at the church I went to as a child.) Or maybe donate it to a country fair? There are a lot of people who would benefit from the quilt and your DH might feel better.
No, he wants them in case we have a power outage when it's 20 below zero. I'm pretty sure we'll all be warm enough (and a couple of neighbor families, too) when we have 15 blankets each on us.

#14 ·
Ours are all over the place. I have a storage cube footstool. I have a small chest in the living room with one in it. The top of our side table is hinged, so I can put some in it. Mostly, we use storage trunks. I like wool and down blankets around incase the power goes out.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Mine throws a fit when I make the bed--says it messes it up. Never mind that I have to make the bed before I can sleep in it anyway because he thrashes around and the blankets end up in the middle or at the foot of the bed. He also dislikes sleeping under the comforter unless it's really cold and will take one or more blankets to bed to sleep under instead. It must be a guy thing!

Wait, you are talking about MY DH! He yanks the sheets off of the mattress every night. He absolutely cannot lay in a bed when the top sheet is tucked in, you would think I was forcing him to sleep in a straight jacket.

I am battling the blanket and pillow problem right now. We have too many yet I think "what if I need extra blankets some day?" It is total doomsday thinking on my part.

I have two king size down comforters with duvet covers that need to go and I just can't load them in the car......

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
can you store them between your matress and box spring flat? would eleminate thm totally from the closet.
Or, if they are wool blankets, you could layer them under your bottom sheet and pretend you have one of those uber-expensive wool mattress toppers
. That's what I'm going to do with mine

#17 ·
Use space bags ! They are of course safe and reliable. If you have excess of them , you can even move them to storage. I have a huge collection of blankets that I bring home after visiting new places. It's sort of a hobby. DS says I move some of them to Migson storage ( our public storage facility at Mississauga) as they are space consuming. Our cupboards are almost full and I have even given off some to neighbors and friends. 0:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.