When In Doubt, BURN IT!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed the OP is MI. Here in rural MI, burning trash and burning in general, is the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP did not realize that it was an environmental danger. People have burn barrels to burn their trash, burn leaves in the fall, burn ditches to keep down weeds, etc, etc. So while I think a little education is in order, I think there are many who posted who could have been a little kinder and gentler. We have also burned to get rid of thing we had no other way of disposing of.: Although AFAIK they were natural materials (old mattresses couches etc were cotton,jute, burlap, etc.)

Oh and I would TOTALLY love to know how to clean moldy clothes. I have tried EVERY idea recipe I've come across (Even tilex and straight bleach, since the item was a total loss anyway. The tilex ate the fabric.) I'm not being snarky, I'd really like to know, I have had to pitch lots of mildewed clothes and I'd like to be able to at least save some favorites when it happens.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTmama1 View Post
Wow people, burning garbage isn't a good thing, but people do it.... There is a difference between kindly informing and educating vs bashing and attacking. If I were her I wouldn't be back to this forum, and that is disappointing, there are often great ideas shared.
ITA with the above post.

I've been thinking about this thread a lot, and wanted to say something similar, but did not. Thank you for being more courageous than me.
#33 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTmama1 View Post
Wow people, burning garbage isn't a good thing, but people do it.... There is a difference between kindly informing and educating vs bashing and attacking. If I were her I wouldn't be back to this forum, and that is disappointing, there are often great ideas shared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatblondegirl View Post
holy, people! give the girl a break! she obviously isn't as enlightened as you all. she didn't realize that her post was an open invitation to a written beating.

OP - i'm sorry some PPs have been brutal with you.
Honestly, unless you live in a hole or under a rock, I don't really think there's any excuse for not knowing that burning synthetic/plastic things=bad. I figured it out for myself, as a child, without any help from Al Gore. In today's climate of ever-increasing environment awareness... that information is practically everywhere. The media is saturated with it. It doesn't take "enlightenment" to have a freakin' clue.

The OP asked for opinions, and she got them. You shouldn't ask for people to voice their thoughts, and then expect every single person to either agree with you or to mince about and be all puppies and rainbows and sunshine unicorns about it if they don't. And it's completely ridiculous to get all butt-hurt about it just because some random people on an online forum aren't being super nicey-nice.

I said exactly what I would have said to the OP if we'd been chatting face to face. I am personally rather horrified at the thought of all that toxic stuff being burnt. But I didn't call names or bash. I didn't attack. I wasn't rude or inflammatory. I simply disagreed. And I didn't sugar coat it to death because we are adults. If the OP doesn't like it, she can put on her big-girl undies and suck it up. Seriously.

Personally, I think the OP must have a pretty good sense of humor about it, if you look at her location: "Flame Broiled To Perfection GIRLIES"

Serendipity
#34 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 PM

I'd also like to know how to save moldy clothes. I have several items that I just washed a couple of times and cut the good pieces out to use in a quilt. (I'm saving all our stained/no good clothes to make a quilt out of one day.)

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
#35 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 PM

um. ew? stank?

Christen wife to Justin mother to Logan 3-10-05 Annabelle 2-10-08 and due 7-11-10.
#36 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM

I set my best friend's hair on fire once by accident. She's was fine, but uh....ooops!
#37 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I hate the smell of burning garbage, but oh, isn't the fire soooooo pretty. As much as I would prefer people not to do it for environmental and stink reasons, I totally understand the attraction. I used to work in labs, and I always felt more at home if someone was using a bunsen burner.
#38 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrendipity View Post

The OP asked for opinions, and she got them. You shouldn't ask for people to voice their thoughts, and then expect every single person to either agree with you or to mince about and be all puppies and rainbows and sunshine unicorns about it if they don't. And it's completely ridiculous to get all butt-hurt about it just because some random people on an online forum aren't being super nicey-nice.

I said exactly what I would have said to the OP if we'd been chatting face to face. I am personally rather horrified at the thought of all that toxic stuff being burnt. But I didn't call names or bash. I didn't attack. I wasn't rude or inflammatory. I simply disagreed. And I didn't sugar coat it to death because we are adults. If the OP doesn't like it, she can put on her big-girl undies and suck it up. Seriously.
#39 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
I hate the smell of burning garbage, but oh, isn't the fire soooooo pretty. As much as I would prefer people not to do it for environmental and stink reasons, I totally understand the attraction. I used to work in labs, and I always felt more at home if someone was using a bunsen burner.

I was just telling my mom the other day that I totally understand arson. No other criminal/deviant behavior makes sense to me the way that wanting to burn things down does.
#40 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM

I love you elspethshimon.
#41 of 53 Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyD View Post
I love you elspethshimon. :

:
#42 of 53 Old 08-22-2008, 01:24 AM

What a great DDDDC! You are so funny, lady. *smooch*
#43 of 53 Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 AM

My parents used to burn their couches when they'd gone too far to be used or donated. It was great. In college I burned all mt class notes for classes I hated. I know I should have recycled them, but man what a cathartic release that was!

obstruct livery vehicles

#44 of 53 Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Um... when it doubt.. DO NOT burn it! My neighbors burn their trash and it literally makes me sick.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#45 of 53 Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
My dp and I had a book burning one night. We'd both (a long, long time ago before we'd become the socially conscious, enlightened folks that we are today) done business/economics degrees in University and had been packing around hundreds of pounds of outdated, no re-sale value textbooks that would never be opened again. We sat in front of the fireplace tearing sections out of the books, reading the chapter titles, laughing like mad, and chucking them in the flames. It felt soooooo good.

I was mean and wouldn't let my husband and his friends douse a chair from their dorm (that they owned -- not one of the college's) and set it on fire. It was an awful chair, but no. They wanted to light it on fire and push it out onto a lake on a raft. Dorks.
#46 of 53 Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
I noticed the OP is MI. Here in rural MI, burning trash and burning in general, is the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP did not realize that it was an environmental danger. People have burn barrels to burn their trash, burn leaves in the fall, burn ditches to keep down weeds, etc, etc. So while I think a little education is in order, I think there are many who posted who could have been a little kinder and gentler. We have also burned to get rid of thing we had no other way of disposing of.: Although AFAIK they were natural materials (old mattresses couches etc were cotton,jute, burlap, etc.)

Oh and I would TOTALLY love to know how to clean moldy clothes. I have tried EVERY idea recipe I've come across (Even tilex and straight bleach, since the item was a total loss anyway. The tilex ate the fabric.) I'm not being snarky, I'd really like to know, I have had to pitch lots of mildewed clothes and I'd like to be able to at least save some favorites when it happens.
: I remember the ditch across the street being burned many times. Out in rural Dorr, MI, we did not have any kind of trash pick up. Our recycling station was three big bins (one each for glass, paper, and plastic) in the library parking lot a mile down the road. Of course, this was the early 90's and, in a community of mostly old farmers, just taking the time to recycle was commendable. But with the town dump 20 minutes away, everything that couldn't be recycled went into the burn barrel to cut down on trips to the dump. It's just what people did...and apparently still do according the this post. It really is conceivable that someone might not know that burning trash is harmful given that it is the norm for their community.

You can educate without belittling someone. How would you feel if something you regularly did was harmful and someone jumped all over you for it? Would you rather be gently educated or be made to feel like a horrible person for simply not knowing better?
#47 of 53 Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 AM

Hippie Mama, when in doubt, please do NOT burn it. It's toxic to the environment and the people around you.

I can understand the need to feel free and clear of junk through burning and fire, but I also think that there are a lot of things that can be reused or recycled. Your trash may very well be someone's treasure.
#48 of 53 Old 08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Do you all think that sending things to a landfill (in plastic bags no less) is actually better for the environment than burning it?

You all are aware too, that a lot of trash gets sent to incinerators which um... is burning stuff -- only you are using the resources (fuel, electricity, manpower) to get it there and have it burned for you.

I am not advocating burning stuff and ftr we don't burn things but I am feeling a bit cheesed off at some of the holier than thou responses of *shock* *faint* I would *never* burn anything tsk tsk -- when land-filling and commercial incinerating is how *most* of your trash is taken care of.... and yep... guess what happens to that old couch you donate to Goodwill when it doesn't sell or is too used/dirty? Yeah, same thing.
#49 of 53 Old 08-24-2008, 04:48 PM

Not every place burns trash, and where I live, when trash is burned, it is burned in special incinerators that reduce toxins, etc.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#50 of 53 Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 PM

I felt bad for the poor girl when I saw this. Not because she is "unenlightened" (is that a word?) but because of what I knew she'd receive as answers on here.

I'm constantly surprised when I see people who think that everyone in the world thinks the same as them. I live in TX and yes, I do see people burning things all the time. My parents did it but hopefully learned their lessons because they set their field on fire twice...911 and I became really close that year.

Let's all lighten up a bit, shall we? While there have been some who have disapproved in a nice way, I just hope we don't all go around with such sour pusses all the time.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#51 of 53 Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
I set my best friend's hair on fire once by accident. She's was fine, but uh....ooops!
I once went to a hair salon where the stylist pulled out a lighter AND BURNED MY SPLIT ENDS!! Needless to say, I did not go back.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#52 of 53 Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I once went to a hair salon where the stylist pulled out a lighter AND BURNED MY SPLIT ENDS!! Needless to say, I did not go back.
#53 of 53 Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
guess what happens to that old couch you donate to Goodwill when it doesn't sell or is too used/dirty? Yeah, same thing.
That depends on if you donate trash to Goodwill. We don't donate good stuff to Goodwill. (or trash, )

We take all of our no longer needed items (that we take care of while owning) to a much smaller charity thrift store in the small community that my husband grew up in. Shepherd's Closet is always looking for furniture in relatively good condition, even if it's "ugly". Some families have NOTHING after a house fire or flood, and they are grateful to receive something that would otherwise be thrown away.

For example - my SIL took her inherited 60's orange floral sofa to the donation site, when she upgraded herself to a new contemporary sofa. Same with her table. Both were in usable condition, clean, in good repair, and have many good years left in them. She was just tired of her apartment looking like the set of "Good Times". The Closet HAPPILY took both those items and the 4 dining chairs.

In short - people - please do not leave your garbage at a charity to discard. Make sure that it's something that others can definitely use!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page