When In Doubt, BURN IT!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our family has always been a huge believer in the mantra:

"If it is dirty/ugly/useless/taking up too much space, then thou shalt burn the freaking thing."

We've burned couches, mattresses, sections of wall, old window frames, tons and tons of junk mail and ancient paperwork. We've burned old carpets, splintery old outbuildings, moldy clothes, you name it.

(We sort of make our living by cleaning up distressed properties and then reselling them, so our family has had a lot more mess to deal with than most.)

Sometimes it gets out of hand... my Dad burned my mother's entire video collection once while cleaning some drawers out. But mostly fire is cleansing, liberating, and FUN.

Any other pyro cleaners out there?

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 AM

Sounds very therapeutic, but yikes! What about the toxic gasses being released into the atmosphere?:

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#3 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 AM

I've never burned anything on purpose besides candles, firewood and marshmellows.

My uncle accidentally burned my pajamas once when I spent the night at my grandparents and my PJs were in a paper bag. The smell was awful. I can't imagine burning a whole couch.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#4 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 AM

It certainly sounds fun, but at least in Europe burning trash of all kinds (including furniture) is strictly prohibited.
#5 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Yeah, we can't burn stuff here either... except for having a campfire in non fire ban season, or a wood home heating type fire... don't think burning mattresses etc would pass for either of those!
#6 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
Sounds very therapeutic, but yikes! What about the toxic gasses being released into the atmosphere?:
That. Exactly.
Theres's someone in my area who burns things that smell like they can't be healthy to breathe (furniture, etc.), and it really burns me up.

It's also illegal, but I'm not much of a police-caller. Yet.

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#7 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post

no kidding. What kind of hippie are you, LOL? You really should reconsider how you dispose of things in such a toxic way.
#8 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 02:25 PM

reading the op actually gave me the beginning of a head ache (but I'm suggestable like that).

OP - please don't burn things like VHS tapes - that is putting poison into the air for all of us and our babies to breathe.
#9 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Burning garbage is illegal here too and for good reason.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#10 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI View Post
Our family has always been a huge believer in the mantra:

"If it is dirty/ugly/useless/taking up too much space, then thou shalt burn the freaking thing."

We've burned couches, mattresses, sections of wall, old window frames, tons and tons of junk mail and ancient paperwork. We've burned old carpets, splintery old outbuildings, moldy clothes, you name it.

(We sort of make our living by cleaning up distressed properties and then reselling them, so our family has had a lot more mess to deal with than most.)

Sometimes it gets out of hand... my Dad burned my mother's entire video collection once while cleaning some drawers out. But mostly fire is cleansing, liberating, and FUN.

Any other pyro cleaners out there?

I worry about the paint on the old walls and the carpets - so many of them are synthetic. Doesn't burning that stuff give you a headache at the time?
#11 of 53 Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 PM

We use a woodburner to heat our water & home, but we only burn wood, paper, and cardboard.

Burning all that other stuff is NOT good for the enviroment. :
#12 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM

When I was growing up, we had neighbors who used to burn all their garbage rather than paying for curb-side service. To give an idea of the area we lived in, it was the far back end of a gated community, but one that was mostly built in the 60's/70's. So there were big lots (.3 to .5 acre), some green belt, no HOA, and nothing much besides woods behind our neighborhood, but still plenty of houses in the immediate area. Not really "the country" or anything, but not like the housing developments these days. Just a little spot of suburbia in the middle of the woods.

The whole neighborhood (about 15 houses on our street) would be forced to breath the caustic smoke for a couple hours at least once a week. Even back then (mid 80's) when there really was no green/sustainable living movement, I remember thinking about how much crap was going into the air just from that one lazy family. And I was only 10.

Call me crazy, but even if a landfill isn't the perfect solution, I thought most people still knew better than to burn their trash by now, let alone advocate it on a sustainable living forum. :

Serendipity
#13 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM

After my grandmother burned down our kitchen as a child (twice lol)Im scared to burn anything
#14 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM

That sounds like *such* a bad idea...
#15 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM

OP - I have burnt some things before. Mainly, paper items. I had a little bonfire of my old journals and paperwork and that sort of thing. It was indeed quite liberating! So for paper... and purely wooden (untreated) items I would say go for it! Especially if it's a once-in-a-while thing.

As for the other things... I agree that perhaps there might be a better way of getting rid of those things than burning them! You certainly have the right idea; the element of fire IS cleansing. It seems like you're totally in tune with the destruction/liberation/creation aspect of things. But perhaps you could try to use the element of fire *symbolically* instead of literally? For example, I always light a candle when I'm de-cluttering. I always want the element of fire PRESENT. It clears the energy the same way, I've found, and there's less mess (and smell) to clean up at the end.
#16 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMama View Post
For example, I always light a candle when I'm de-cluttering. I always want the element of fire PRESENT. It clears the energy the same way, I've found, and there's less mess (and smell) to clean up at the end.
What a great idea!

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#17 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrendipity View Post

Call me crazy, but even if a landfill isn't the perfect solution, I thought most people still knew better than to burn their trash by now, let alone advocate it on a sustainable living forum. :
Um... :

Really bad idea.
#18 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM

We live in town so we cant burn anything at all, but my parents live in the country and they burn their paper stuff and sticks and leaves but NEVER furniture or VHS tapes! Thats just horrible!! They also haul the rest of the trash to a land fill and only burn paper, cardboard. . ETC. . You really should check with your laws in your town about what you can burn and cant.
#19 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Oooh, please don't do that!

All environmental concerns aside...we have a neighbor who burns trash and it freaking reeks. We have to close all our windows when they burn, and they usually choose really nice days to burn.

But yeah, I think you should find another way to dispose of your trash.
#20 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMama View Post
OP - I have burnt some things before. Mainly, paper items. I had a little bonfire of my old journals and paperwork and that sort of thing. It was indeed quite liberating! So for paper... and purely wooden (untreated) items I would say go for it! Especially if it's a once-in-a-while thing.

As for the other things... I agree that perhaps there might be a better way of getting rid of those things than burning them! You certainly have the right idea; the element of fire IS cleansing. It seems like you're totally in tune with the destruction/liberation/creation aspect of things. But perhaps you could try to use the element of fire *symbolically* instead of literally? For example, I always light a candle when I'm de-cluttering. I always want the element of fire PRESENT. It clears the energy the same way, I've found, and there's less mess (and smell) to clean up at the end.
I'd be so afraid of accidentally starting a fire if I had a candle burning in a room where I was yanking out random papers, blankets, etc to go through them!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#21 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM

My dp and I had a book burning one night. We'd both (a long, long time ago before we'd become the socially conscious, enlightened folks that we are today) done business/economics degrees in University and had been packing around hundreds of pounds of outdated, no re-sale value textbooks that would never be opened again. We sat in front of the fireplace tearing sections out of the books, reading the chapter titles, laughing like mad, and chucking them in the flames. It felt soooooo good.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#22 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
My dp and I had a book burning one night. We'd both (a long, long time ago before we'd become the socially conscious, enlightened folks that we are today) done business/economics degrees in University and had been packing around hundreds of pounds of outdated, no re-sale value textbooks that would never be opened again. We sat in front of the fireplace tearing sections out of the books, reading the chapter titles, laughing like mad, and chucking them in the flames. It felt soooooo good.
I did something like that in college. There was a particular book that we had to read for freshman comp that everyone HATED. We burned that sucker when the semester was over and it felt great!

ETA: So I guess I lied in my PP. I have also burned a book. lol

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#23 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Your location is "Flame Broiled To Perfection GIRLIES" - is it wrong I think you're mot serious? 390 posts, but still... the bit about the movies was a little too contrived for my taste.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
#24 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM

I hate the smell of trash burning. There are people in my neighborhood who burn styrofoam, and it stinks like nothing else on earth. Plus, I know it isn't healthy to breath.
#25 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

How weird, you actually sound proud of this behaviour.

How sad, you've destroyed things that someone could possibly have used. Even if you think it is useless, it might helpful to someone with less than you. Moldy clothing can be cleaned. Someone could use it. That furniture? Maybe it wasn't perfect, but there are organizations that would be grateful for used furniture donations (I know the homeless/detox shelter in the city where I used to live would have loved furniture that wasn't perfect).

Junk mail and paper (even old paper) can be recycled. Not very environmentally responsible to burn that, is it?

And, in the process of your pyromania, you have been polluting the environment. Add to it, it is probably illegal to do so in your area. Most places have burn bans for very good reasons (fire dangers, toxic hazards and irresponsible persons like you).

The materials in most furniture, mattresses and carpets is toxic. Burning sections of wall?? More toxins for the environment.

I hope you had a permit to burn any buildings (arson is a pretty serious charge). It puts an entire area at risk as well as the firefighters that may have to fight it if it gets out of hand.

I don't see burning things as "cleansing, liberating, and FUN."

Please don't tell me you live in Washington state. I'd hate to think you are in my county..................
#26 of 53 Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People down here in CR burn their garbage all the time. I HATE the smell! It just can't be good for us or the environment.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#27 of 53 Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM

yikes.
#28 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM

Wow people, burning garbage isn't a good thing, but people do it.... There is a difference between kindly informing and educating vs bashing and attacking. If I were her I wouldn't be back to this forum, and that is disappointing, there are often great ideas shared.

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#29 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM

holy, people! give the girl a break! she obviously isn't as enlightened as you all. she didn't realize that her post was an open invitation to a written beating.

OP - i'm sorry some PPs have been brutal with you.
#30 of 53 Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I burned my notes from a class I did really poorly in once.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page