putting an end to useless gifts.. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have issues with this as well.

I have a gift list for DS that I maintain and distribute....and it NEVER gets used by anyone. There's a zoo membership, ski lift tickets, $$ for his savings account, savings bonds, books, a few DVD's, music/karate/gymnastics lessons, a good quality sleeping bag, etc. It's almost as if it can't come from TRU, then it's not worth the effort on anyone else's part.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with this from my DH as well. My MIL is the worst offender by far....and the apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree. Every Yule, he wants to give DS a gift that's *only* from him. And it's always some dumb toy that Alex could care less about. A couple of years ago, it was a Shark Park for his Hot Wheels cars. Alex doesn't play with it....but all his friends love it. And if I got rid of it, DH would be heartbroken. Great. I'm waiting for Alex to offer it up to the Goodwill bag one of these days......
Of course, DH then complains that Alex has WAY too many toys and he's sick of tripping over them all the time.

Anyhoo.....I'm glad I'm not the only one....and I'm loving some of these ideas!

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 PM

regarding pinatas:

we shop around for random small things that would fit ... last time, I remember putting in raisins, balloons, chapstick, woven bracelets, stickers and tattoos. That's about as much as my pregnant brain can remember About a month before the birthday, we just start keeping our eyes open for practical things that aren't insanely pricey. We also only buy the exact number of things and the rules are that each child can only pick up one of each thing. I think the tackiest thing I got for the last party was plastic rings. I refuse to just pick up junk at a dollar store.

To make the pinata "rain" down, we add a little bit of candy and paper confetti.

We make our own pinatas. It's a LOT of fun!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#33 of 35 Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM

The most well received idea we give is activities with the giver (along with mom & dad accompanying in some format - to change as they get older). Our girls love fun outings with grandparents and relatives and so do the relatives. It's worked out very well so far. It can be basically free like a picnic in the park or rather expensive like tickets to a show or ballet. The giver can decide whatever they can/want to affort.
#34 of 35 Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM

What's really sad is that my inlaws just refuse to do this type of gift. Every year, we beg for them to just spend time with their grandkids. Seriously, our dd's would really prefer to spend the night and watch tv with them above anything else. Last Christmas, we created a "spend-the-night" gift basket for Nana with kid bubble bath, lotion, nail polish, and some other little things ... and it was from the girls. Hmmmm, it's August now? They aren't afraid of having the girls over, they just really don't think it's important. The worst part is that my bIL lives down the street from them, so they see his kids all the time - and now, my dd's are feeling left out. It hurts. (*they* want all the crap, too - so it's twice as easy to spoil those grandkids)

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#35 of 35 Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure if someone has suggested this but in our family we have started to do "experience" gifts.

For example, for my DS's birthday he received:

* A gift certificate to a class at the Birds of Prey centre (hands-on class, pretty cool).
* Swimming and pizza for him and his friends.
* Sushi dinner with the family
* 2 sessions of indoor rock climbing to use in the fall
* A trip to a place called TreeGo in September

I got a massage and some money so I can treat myself to pedicures later in my pregnancy.

My 3 year old was gifted 4 months of preschool, 4 months of swimming lessons and a few books.

No junk, just lots of great experiences.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page