Decorating windows with plantation shutters??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...I looked around and couldn't really find a better place though.

In our new house, EVERY window (except the one over the kitchen sink) has big white plantation shutters - which I think is beautiful. But, I'm unsure how to decorate them. Or should I decorate them at all? I like simplicity and streamlined look, but I also want it to be cozy. I've never had a house that didn't have curtains, so I'm not sure how to handle this one!

Here's the living room window (a side view)..and this is not our furniture...thsi is the current owner's stuff...we move next weekend! :

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ustmisc049.jpg
#2 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM

I am so envious! I would love plantation shutters, but we can't afford them at the moment.

Anyway. I think they look very nice plain, with no curtains. But if you really want something to soften it a little, maybe put a decorative rod across the window and hang a pair of long curtains. Then you can pull the curtains across if you need more light blocking, or keep them to the side the rest of the time. Kind of like in a couple of the pictures here (toward the bottom, 8th and 9th pictures), except maybe not so formal.
#3 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM

Hm, well, I enjoy sunlight AND privacy...maybe hang a pretty rod with some sheers, also? I'm not really sure...some help I am, huh?
#4 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM

I would definitely not decorate them at all since plantation shutters are classic, simple and functional all by themselves. I would cozy up the rooms with nice wool or natural fiber rugs, pillows, and upholstered furniture. Framing old or antique fabric remnants (pieces of quilts or coverlets) and hanging on the walls is a nice way to cozy up the vertical dimension without resorting to curtains.
#5 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
I would definitely not decorate them at all since plantation shutters are classic, simple and functional all by themselves. I would cozy up the rooms with nice wool or natural fiber rugs, pillows, and upholstered furniture. Framing old or antique fabric remnants (pieces of quilts or coverlets) and hanging on the walls is a nice way to cozy up the vertical dimension without resorting to curtains.
I love the look of the shutters too...that's why I've been torn as to what to do. And since I've ALWAYS had curtains...it's just a wierd feeling not to have them, ya know?

Thanks!
#6 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nice . in rooms that you want to look cozy or add some colour or pattern, I would add a floor to ceiling curtain panel on each side of the window (not covering the window at all) more for decoration than anything else. but that's not really necessary in most rooms.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#7 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
:
#8 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks girls!
#9 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM

We have plantation shutters in our home, and we decided not to use any window treatments over them. Our living room is on the small side (our house is 1400 square feet total), so we have the living room painted a cozy latte color and we have dark walnut distressed furniture, which makes it a little "cozier", imo.

I do have a question, though...we'll be selling our house in a few years (DH is in the military & we move frequently), and I've been wondering...did the house having shutters influence your decision to buy in any way?

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
#10 of 11 Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysunlight View Post

I do have a question, though...we'll be selling our house in a few years (DH is in the military & we move frequently), and I've been wondering...did the house having shutters influence your decision to buy in any way?
No, I wouldn't say it influenced our decision per se, we bought this house b/c it had several things we wanted. BUT, I will say that it was a good "perk", b/c I think they are BEAUTIFUL and they will save a lot of $$ on curtains!
#11 of 11 Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 PM

You are lucky. I love the way shutters look but can't bring myself to spend the money. They, as are most window covers, very expensive. I wouldn't cover them at all but then again, I am sort of anti-fabric due to dust issues.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page