Minimalist - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think would qualify you as a minimalist? I would totally like to be one but I am not sure if I have reached the goal yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess what comes to mind for me is looking at your life and figuring out what is excess. I also think that could change from day to day, week to week.
I think of this Buddhist teacher who taught me about right effort. We had to push on a door and find just the right amount of effort to get it to move instead of just mindlessly pushing it open with excess force.
I am not a minimalist but do have some areas minimized. For instance, my shoes are minimal. I have 1 pair of snow boots for serious mountain life, 1 pair for not looking so frumpy in a dress snow boots, 1 pair of sandals, 1 pair of crocs, 1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of puddle boots, 1 pair of strappy dress shoes for weddings, and 1 pair of woolen clogs. These serve my needs but for a businessperson more and different would be necessary. If I were setting out to be a serious minimalist I might perhaps decide that I don't need 2 snow boots and that the crocs are good enough but realistically I hate wearing crocs with a lot of my summer clothes.

It's going to mean different things to different people.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page