IKEA Kids rooms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is giving me some money to buy my girls the IKEA bunk bed with the twin on top and double on the bottom. The plan is to make the girls room usable for all 3 girls. Right now the baby, who's not really a baby any more is spread out all over the house. Her dresser is in my bathroom, hanging clothes are in ds room, toys are in the living room and she sleeps in my room. We would like to get all of her stuff into the girls room.

The plan is to put up the new bunkbed up and oldest dd(10) will be on the top bunk and the two little dds (4 & 1 1/2) will share the lower double bed someday when baby is read to sleep without me. We need to get the closet set up to old 3 girls clothes on share one dresser. I need toy storage and would like some way to give oldest dd some personal space for you big kids stuff. I'm thinking some kind of shelving that can go up by her top bunk.

We will be going to IKEA on sunday. SOOOO....what do you have from IKEA in your kids room that you love or works great and what should I avoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM

We have the sultana (sultan? Not quite sure of the right word) mattress for dd-the latex/foam, not innerspring, and she loves it. We also have the bedside wall lights that just plug into the outlets and don't need to be hard wired, for bedtime reading. They stay cool and have a little screen over the bulb so that no one can touch it. We also have one of their table tops-the pink easter-egg shaped one, with plain white legs that dd uses as a desk/workspace, and we'll get the red kidney shaped table for ds at some point. They love the unique shapes. Oh, also the basic plastic rolling chair in pink for the desk-it's very comfy. I think their storage stuff is great and we'll be looking to opurchase something this fall. I love IKEA!

ETA: I also like their fabrics/duvet covers. And we have purchased one of the toddler bed mattresses which is sort of thin, but cushy and a velour cover to use on the floor as a comfy pla/reading spot.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:32 PM

DD's entire room is from IKEA, we went there for her 9th birthday and re-did everything.

She has the Hemnes bed (white) and the Hemnes 3-drawer dresser (white). She also has the wall stickers, rugs, curtains, throw pillow, print and lamp.

I'll post pics.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:55 PM

We have the bonde system wall unit--we have two units six cubbies high and two wide and one six cubbies high and one wide for a total of 30 cubbies for all the toys for all 4 kids. We also have the entertainment center unit which houses alternately the dollhouse and the firehouse. These pieces swallow a lot of stuff!

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
Old 08-31-2008, 12:40 AM

we'll be doing ds a room up in a few months. we want to get him this extendable bed. as a toddler bed, its nearly square, then extends to a twin. we liked the rest of the model room that was set up, and we loved the trofast system too... we're not exactly sure what we're going to do yet

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
DD's entire room is from IKEA, we went there for her 9th birthday and re-did everything.

She has the Hemnes bed (white) and the Hemnes 3-drawer dresser (white). She also has the wall stickers, rugs, curtains, throw pillow, print and lamp.

I'll post pics.
I would LOVE to see this!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
we'll be doing ds a room up in a few months. we want to get him this extendable bed. as a toddler bed, its nearly square, then extends to a twin. we liked the rest of the model room that was set up, and we loved the trofast system too... we're not exactly sure what we're going to do yet
We have that bed for Rivka (3). She still sleeps in it totally shrunk. I love it because it's as wide as a regular bed so she has plenty of room to stretch out, but still small like a toddler bed. I have 3 girls in a pretty small room (I think it's 8x11)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 AM

We got the loft beds and they're great, but you want to make sure your ceilings are high enough for clearance. We also love our Expedit bookcases because you can use them vertically or horizontally and put little cube bins or baskets in them to hide clutter.

My only complaint about the loft beds is the desk part can be very dark so you have to have really good lamps, which for some reason didn't occur to us in the brightly lit store.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 AM

We're doing Miranda's big girl room in all Ikea - we'll probably start working on it after her 2nd b-day in October.

Anyway, since the room also is our guest room, we picked out this bed:
Hemnes Daybed. It has a trundle the pulls out to make it a double bed.

We're probably going to go with this duvet cover: Barnslig Rand and these curtains: Barnslig Djur. There are all sorts of cute matching pillows and cushions, too, to fill out the daybed. And a rug! Can you tell I'm excited?

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
Ds also has this bed! I think it's great. The only negative is that, at least in Canada, there's only one railing available and it's in white. But the bed is so low to the ground that I didn't actually worry about ds in it. We pulled it out to the full length right away, and there's room for me to sit at the end of the bed on my laptop while he falls asleep every night.

We also have the matching (Leksvik) toybox and one of the more adult-sized dressers. I love it so much - the drawers run nice and smoothly on the tracks, and they're big and deep.

As far as actual advice, if the dresser matching the set you want isn't in the kids section, check out the other areas/catalogue/website. Like I said, ds's dresser is in the Leksvik series, but it's meant for adults - it's different than what they show in the kids section.

User Tag List