September decluttering challenge! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 175 Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoife View Post
Me too! Blogging about it has been all the more inspiring. I even did a 'Tackle it Tuesday' meme today!

http://onetruething.vox.com/library/...t-tuesday.html
Oooh... I *love* the Tackle it Tuesday idea. Might have to think about applying that one over here...
#122 of 175 Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM

I'm in!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#123 of 175 Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 PM

OK... checking in. I'm not as far as I hoped, but I'm making baby steps, and have plans for a lot of stuff going out this weekend.

I've gotten rid of some stuff on Freecycle and have more to post tonight, and I sold an item the other day as well.

I'm up to:

10 items given away
1 item sold
2 bags/bundles of stuff thrown away

So I'm up to 13. That doesn't seem like a lot. I'm going to get back at it and see if I can make another dent in it!

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#124 of 175 Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM

I worked on my laundry room today. I'm making part of that room my little sanctuary--a place where I can go and have a cup of tea and read a little, alone. I'm also using this space as my personal office, so after decluttering, cleaning and re-organizing, I brought in my filing cabinet and some office supplies (which I put inside a cooler (it doubles as a chair). I put in a few personal touches, and it is very peaceful.
#125 of 175 Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma View Post
I worked on my laundry room today. I'm making part of that room my little sanctuary--a place where I can go and have a cup of tea and read a little, alone. I'm also using this space as my personal office, so after decluttering, cleaning and re-organizing, I brought in my filing cabinet and some office supplies (which I put inside a cooler (it doubles as a chair). I put in a few personal touches, and it is very peaceful.
That really sounds lovely!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#126 of 175 Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Ok so I sold 8 items ( costumes and DVDs on ebay) and they are out the door mailed Monday. That brings my total to:142/700

I am off to tackle the bathroom closet and to change my siggy for this total, going through this whole thread to find my last post was a bit time consuming!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#127 of 175 Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 PM

i have not been able to do much mostly because my son hasn't let me but dp has been going through stuff and added kitchen appliances we don't use and lots of icky dried stuff that moths had gotten into ick i hate moths.
it is so hard to pack and to declutter when one of us needs to be with ds and ds loves been worn outside but inside he gets pretty upset and it just doesn't work as well as it used to.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#128 of 175 Old 09-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Today was a good day. I have a whole whack ton of stuff that has been picked up off of Freccycle. I also gave some stuff back to one of my best friends that I had sitting in house that was actually hers.

I'm up to:

96 items given away
1 item sold
6 items given back to their rightful owner

So I'm up to 105 : : : That is almost 100 items today alone

OK... back to it!

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#129 of 175 Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
That really sounds lovely!
Thanks. I think that every mom needs a space that is all her own, even if it is a tiny place.
#130 of 175 Old 09-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I think that every mom needs a space that is all her own, even if it is a tiny place.
Hmmmm... now you've got me thinking. I don't have a place of my own in my house!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#131 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 AM

I'm in!

This week already I have gotten rid of some of the kids old room decorations. I listed them on craigslist and made back $20! I have a box of stuff waiting to be donated and I reorganized my kitchen food cabinets to be clutter free!!
#132 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Welll I've been a decluttering fool for the past three weeks. I haven't been formally counting but here's a good GUESSTIMATE of what I got rid of:

1. Children's Clothes to my sister - 6 Bags full - approx 200 items
2. Goodwill - 2 bags full - approx 50 items
3. Garbage - 6 Bags full - approx 300 items (lotsa little junk! )
4. Stuff for Vietnam Vets (charity pickup truck) approx 100 item
5. Junk from desk - approx 50 items

So "approximately" 1000 items OUT OF MY HOUSE - WAHOO GO ME GO ME!!!!! :

AND MORE TO GO IN THE WEEKS/MONTHS TO COME!!!
#133 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I was about to say that I have my desk, but as I sit here and look at it, most of what is on here is family organization stuff -- IEP binders, home management binder, special ed books, inbox/outbox bins. The only thing that is 'mine' is my iMac.

This could be a really good de-cluttering goal for me. Create a little 'me' space. Thank you for the idea!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#134 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoife View Post
If I have time after that, I've been wanting to cull out my wrapping paper, ribbons, boxes, etc. and get that re-organized. I have a system for it, but it has begun to overflow. I don't need to keep so much.
Ohhh thats another one to "tackle"

Now that I got a lot of you on board with the attack and tackle, this is a lot of fun! :

I pulled out a pair of hiking/waterproof boots yesterday made by echo. The rubber soles has crumbled down to nothing : so I wore them apple picking and then tossed. These are the second pair by them to do that. The first pair did the same and these were the replacements. So one more item down...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#135 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM

I cleaned out the bottom of the hall closet and culled out my wrapping station (one of those rubbermaid roll holders and a rolling set of drawers) yesterday. I ended up putting the wrapping station into the hall closet. It was in our master closet, but I want my own stuff in there instead.

I went through the toys today while the kids watched a movie since it is rainy outside. It cleared a full shelf of bins, so I put it in DD#1's room and re-did her book and toy organization so she now had more 'homes' for her stuff.

Amy, I loved Tackle it Tuesday and that it tied right in to this. I am going to do it again this week.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#136 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM

Ok so I never did make it to that bathroom closet but I did go around and throw some random things into a box for goodwill

11 items added including some tiny toys and VHS tapes, some still in the wrapper

#137 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 06:34 PM

I am a late comer to this thread but I would love to get in! We have waaaay to much stuff. Mostly things to sell or goodwill. My parents sold thier house two years ago and much of the stuff that would not fit in thier new apartment ended up here (we have tons of space, storage and living). Then less than a year after they moved my mother passed away and now my father has moved into an even smaller place. So again many things ended up here. I really need to sell some stuff (framed art I will never hang and some furniture that is living in my basement). That is on top of the stuff Dh and I have accumulated that we just don't need. I am so overwhelmed with things. I don't even know where to begin. I can't yardsale (we rent and that is in our lease! I guess I should craigs list stuff but I am freaked out!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#138 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM

I think I'm going to jump on the Tackle-It Tuesday train as well. I love the tagline--"making housework blog-able"

#139 of 175 Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM

One more thing added, peck peck peck, I say!

154/700

#140 of 175 Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 AM

It rained here all weekend. On Sunday I was the master of multi-tasking and got a bunch of stuff done. I made two loaves of bread, two batches of pear preserves, and sorted through six boxes of décor and heirlooms from the basement. I was very successful at winnowing the six boxes down to only two of “keepers” and the rest of the stuff will be donated. I am proud to say that I kept only my DH’s grandmothers depression glass salt-dip and cream/sugar collections in one box. And in the second box is my antique camera collection and a few items hand-crafted by my mother when she had her own business years ago. I kept only those things that were the most important to me or possibly worth something. It has been a slow process of getting rid of things over the years – I have gone through many purges. Previously I found it hard to give away some ugly figurines that my deceased grandparents gave me as a kid, but I was finally able to let.it.go. All in all, I am purging 56 items! I am so :!

Running total: 112/100
#141 of 175 Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Found 2 more garage sale items (yikes, the garage sale is this Saturday!), and 28 items that I threw away. Updated in my original post.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#142 of 175 Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 PM

I'm hopefully getting rid of two extra beds today that have been stuffed in a closet for months and months - yay!
#143 of 175 Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Cleaned out some of my bedroom last weekend and found some old clothes of dd's and books and toys she no longer wants...so far 8/100
#144 of 175 Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Mom View Post
I'm hopefully getting rid of two extra beds today that have been stuffed in a closet for months and months - yay!
How did you stuff them there?? MAybe I just have smaller closets. LOL

Thursday is my donate day so I need to tackle things this week.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#145 of 175 Old 09-17-2008, 02:05 AM

Can I jump in late and ask a question?

Now that DS is older we are trying to be more consistent about doing certain holidays and traditions. I find I am going crazy looking for the items for each occasion that I squirreled away from the year before. Any ideas?

I was thinking a small container/ box for each one... like a Halloween box. A birthday box. etc.

Also what about when you buy gifts for birthday/ holidays a month or two early and you are in a SUPER small space. Ideas?

Thanks!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#146 of 175 Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Well, we have lots of decorations for the holidays and seasons, so I use those color-coded rubbermaid tubs from Target (orange for halloween & fall, red/green for Yule, pastels for Ostara/Easter, etc). If you catch them after the holiday, you can usually get them on clearance.

I save kiddo artwork in them from year to year. My kids really love that. I'm about to break out the Mabon/Harvest/Samhain stuff and go through it. I usually end up tossing a couple of things each year, as we make new stuff.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#147 of 175 Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Found and priced 20 toys to stick in the garage sale. I am really getting there! Garage sale is all set up, I just have a few more craft items to organize. I hope we get good crowds, it is supposed to be nice.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#148 of 175 Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM

I Freecycle : I had another huge success with posting a couple of lots of stuff. I'm up to:

195 items given away
1 item sold
6 items given back to their rightful owner

That gets me up to 204 which puts me more than 2/3 of the way to my goal of 300... Go me!!!

I have more stuff leaving today I hope. I am really really liking letting go of the clutter

Alison
#149 of 175 Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM

I hate Freecycle. I have three boxes of books sitting here no one picked up.

OK, it's Tackle It Tuesday, right? I am tackling one of my kitchen cupboards. If I don't come back to post about it, call the rescue squad.

#150 of 175 Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Um, annette, it's wednesday.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page