September decluttering challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Summer's nearly over and it's time to get back into the decluttering swing of things over at my house. And what better time than the fall equinox to get back into balance, right? Who's down?
#2 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM

I'm with you. My kids are going back to public school after years of being homeschooled and I am feeling like I need to reclaim the house. Perfect timing
#3 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm fairly organized in most areas, but since we're moving this coming weekend, I'll have to do some refiguring once we get settled into the new house, so I'll join in! How did you want to do it?
#4 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM

Im in..with baby number 2 coming I need to do some major decluttering

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#5 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Count me in. My 5yr and 2yr will both be in school half days most days. Iwill have about 6 days free this month set aside just for decluttering. Im a student otherwise I would have more time...It will be great to know im not alone sorting out clutter!
#6 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM

We just started the other day, so I'm in. We moved in mid-April, but never really settled in and are looking to declutter and simplify. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from Zen Habits. The kids are home full-time as we homeschool, but I'm hoping to reduce the amount of stuff in the house at any one time (I want to get back into rotating toys from the garage; today I had ds#2 tell me the two things he'd like in right now).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#7 of 175 Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 PM

I'm in for 200.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 AM

I am in. I want to aim for 200 items leaving my house/garage not including paper decluttering. I have some major craigslist listings to do this month.

To be filled in for week #1:

Day 1 - 1 (we spent the day planting trees)
Day 2 - 8
Day 3 - 6
Day 4 - 47
Day 5 - 15 plus 1 hour of paper tossing/filing at my desk
Day 6 - 5
Day 7 - 9
Total for week one: 91/200
end of week: felt good to get some things out of the house and gone...DH was shocked when I told him how many things had left the house and you can't even see a difference yet...lots left but this week I actually have to get lots of building materials off craigslist for our new house we are building (of course they will go into the shipping container at work and not the house)...still hoping to at least declutter some stuff from around the house.

Day 8 - 5
Day 9 - 0 (volunteered at ds school)
Day 10 - 44 (whew, just did a complete fridge purge, it is gorgeous!)
Day 11 - 2 hours spent cleaning my desk, filing and tossing
Day 12 - 7
Day 13 - 4
Day 14 - 0

Running total update after week 2 = 153/200

Day 15 - 3 (listed a bunch of stuff n craigslist but I'm only marking it after its gone)
Day 16 - 0
Day 17 - 0
Day 18 - 6
Day 19 - 1
Day 20 - 2 (this was actually 2 boxes with 89 new vacuum cleaner bags and belts that I had sorted and inventoried previously from an auction and finallly took it to sell at our local hardware...they are giving us $80 for it!)
Day 21 - 1 (plus I finally started our patio project so we can get the pile of bricks sitting in our yard installed instead of just cluttering everything)

Total update 166/200

Day 22 - 1
Day 23 - 0
Day 24 - 0
Day 25 - 3
Day 26 - 0
Day 27 - 0
Day 28 - 0

Wow, have I gotten distracted this month. Running total is only 170/200. I better get busy today and tomorrow.

Day 29 -
Day 30 -

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#9 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 AM

I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that we have our life back (although I love the summer vacation, all good things must come to an end) and once I get thru this week of orientatations, PTA this and that, and the block party at the end of the week I am all set to jump in headfirst and not bellyflop.

I am in for 500 items, maybe more. RUNNING TOTAL208/500

I have to hit all 3 bedrooms, closets, the bsmt, plus the guest room.

I also want to declutter the girls' books and toys.

I set up the playroom and got rid of a few things this weekend.

We already hit the garage and gave away two strollers, and a few other things. Also put some stuff at the curb and someone picked it.

So lets do it! I will tally how much I have.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM

We are moving on Friday, and I have been decluttering our current home in preperation for the move...I have NO idea how many items I got rid of, but I know it was a LOT! I know for a fact that I sent out 2 big outdoor trash cans full of trash, and at least a dozen indor trash bags and almost that many boxes full of yard sale items, but some pieces of furniture we won't need were put in the yard sale as well. All that in one or two weeks! We are downsizing to almost half the size we have now, so I had to get rid of a lot of stuff...and honestly, it was all stuff we didn't use or need anyway, so WHY DID WE HANG ON TO IT??? Who knows why we crazy humans do the things we do sometimes.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to a neat, tidy, decluttered home when we move. It's only 4 days away! Woohoo!
#11 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Does trimming a tree of huge branches count as decluttering? It is bigtime clutter looking at overgrown things.....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#12 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 PM

I am in! My 3yo goes to school on Weds and I will finally be able to start eliminating all the plastic toys in our house. They moved out to the garage once and he brought them back in. I am going to move them out and take them to charity so he can't bring them back. We are working on switching over to natural toys this year.

I am going to set a small goal of 100 items and go from there!

Wendi
#13 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla_KY View Post
We are moving on Friday, and I have been decluttering our current home in preperation for the move...I have NO idea how many items I got rid of, but I know it was a LOT! I know for a fact that I sent out 2 big outdoor trash cans full of trash, and at least a dozen indor trash bags and almost that many boxes full of yard sale items, but some pieces of furniture we won't need were put in the yard sale as well. All that in one or two weeks! We are downsizing to almost half the size we have now, so I had to get rid of a lot of stuff...and honestly, it was all stuff we didn't use or need anyway, so WHY DID WE HANG ON TO IT??? Who knows why we crazy humans do the things we do sometimes.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to a neat, tidy, decluttered home when we move. It's only 4 days away! Woohoo!

Wow! Enjoy your new home! You are inspiring me so much--our moving day is one month from today, and our new home is smaller in a lot of ways than where we currently are. I've already got a giveaway pile in the garage and so far I reckon it's enough stuff to fill a walk-in closet (which we don't have in our new house). I'm so excited to not have to find a home for all of that stuff in our new house--whoo-hoo!

I'm down for at least another 100 things

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#14 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Count me in! We are moving at the end of the month, and need to declutter and down-size. I usually try to get rid of anything (unless its seasonal) that I haven't used in a few months. If it has been stored in a closet collecting dust for months, what is the sense of keeping it? Ya know?

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#15 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Goodness, there's a lot of us that are moving! I move on Wednesday myself. I'm going to try to do the 100 Thing Challenge, you may have heard about (TIME did an article on it earlier in the summer), so I might do even more decluttering after I move (although I've pared down a lot already!).

lady.gif
#16 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM

i would like to join. we are moving around the 1rst of october to a smaller place with less storage area (i think the new place doesn't have a single closet) i'm really excited about the move and we already have a box of clothes to get rid of. and several boxes of books

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#17 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in. Every month I see this thread. Sometimes I even join! And then I do nothing. So yell at me, mamas. Make me tell you how I'm doing!

I don't even know where to begin.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#18 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM

I'm in, too... we just have too much stuff and I need some extra motivation to keep decluttering. I have been doing about an hour or so a day (for about a week now), but my dh's work schedule gets really crazy starting tomorrow and I have a hard time decluttering with my kids around.

Good luck, everyone!
#19 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Count me in! I've still got everything pretty well organized, but there are some drawers and cabinets that have been slipping back into junky territory. I vow to do at least one drawer, cabinet, or closet every day.
#20 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Me too! Baby #2 is coming this winter and we have a small 2 bedroom condo, so I'll need to do some major purging

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#21 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Oo, oo! Me! Me! <Frantically raising hand>

I'm 110 13-gallon recycled bags toward my goal of a decluttered house. :

Many, many more to go!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#22 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=Turquesa;12081774]I'm 110 13-gallon recycled bags toward my goal of a decluttered house. : [QUOTE]

Wow! Good job, momma!
You've been working hard.
#23 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 06:17 PM

Woohoo!! So ready!!

We're hoping to move in a few months ( and I don't want to move all of this stuff!
#24 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM

So what are some typical decluttering goals or courses of action? I need some sort of 12-step program.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#25 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
So what are some typical decluttering goals or courses of action? I need some sort of 12-step program.
step one- let Amy harass you! Yay!

step two, in your OP in this thread keep a running tally. Better yet, put it in your siggy like others have done to keep you honest.

step three- set up rules. Like a file in the back of the cabinet counts as one item. a box of pictures in the attic from 6th grade counts as an item. Those 5 trophies from soft ball season of 1992 count as 5.

also use this as a reference:

The Decluttering Questions:

Do I love this item?

Have I used it in the past year?

Is it really garbage?

Do I have another one that better?

Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it?

Does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see it?

What does this represent?

Why am I afraid to get rid of it?

How long am I going to carry it around?

Does it bless my fmaily? Could it bless someone else's family?

HTH and looking forward to you making room for your family by doing this. You will be amazed how once you stop what it does for your home, life, and everything else.

#26 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'd highly recommend reading or thumbing through Peter Walsh's book It's All Too Much. It was a huge inspiration to me the first time through last year, and I still pull on the wisdom to get me seeing things more clearly now. (Of course, my bookcase shelves are so cluttered with more books right now I can't see it from where I'm sitting ... maybe I need to work on that. )

#27 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM

I went through ds#2's closet and two drawers and pulled out too-small or soon-to-be out of season clothes to box for ds#3. I'm almost done going through ds#3's clothes; his get donated to Goodwill. Next will be ds#1's.

#28 of 175 Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 PM

So Labor Day, perfect day to start! DH Bob was trimming the tree and I tied that up for pick up. Then after he installed lighting in our bsmt so I used it as a chance to rearrange and declutter. I am at 37 items. I packed up a bunch of stuff for dd2's preschool since the director is always looking for different items and I have two boxes of items from her wish list.
Then I found a few boxes not unpacked from our move last year so I did just that. We plan on hanging a few pictures in the bsmt we unpacked. Plus from the declutter I now have a few empty storage bins I transferred some toys too after sifting thru those.

Now I have to start the Good Will box for all the decluttering treasures.

Tuesday I will finish the battle of the bsmt.

Also, dont forget the pantry! This time of year, I must have a couple of groups knocking on the door for food drives. That box of forks, extra paper towels, cans of this and that are great give aways for them.

Hopefully by the end of the week, I can hit one of the girls' rooms

#29 of 175 Old 09-02-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Wow... sounds like we'll be a busy bunch of mommas this month! Lots of home-moving and baby-growing and school-starting -- the best time to change a habit is in the midst of other changes, right? It's so nice to do this together, I'm already feeling more inspired!

Carla_KY: There aren't real rules for the declutter challenges. Just post here what your goals for the month are (get rid of 100 items, clean out pantry, organize closet, etc.), fill us in on your progress, and offer encouragement/motivation the other mommas. Easy-peasy!

Happy September, ladies!
#30 of 175 Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
step one- let Amy harass you! Yay!

step two, in your OP in this thread keep a running tally. Better yet, put it in your siggy like others have done to keep you honest.

step three- set up rules. Like a file in the back of the cabinet counts as one item. a box of pictures in the attic from 6th grade counts as an item. Those 5 trophies from soft ball season of 1992 count as 5.

also use this as a reference:

The Decluttering Questions:

Do I love this item?

Have I used it in the past year?

Is it really garbage?

Do I have another one that better?

Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it?

Does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see it?

What does this represent?

Why am I afraid to get rid of it?

How long am I going to carry it around?

Does it bless my fmaily? Could it bless someone else's family?

HTH and looking forward to you making room for your family by doing this. You will be amazed how once you stop what it does for your home, life, and everything else.
Thanks, Amy! I need to think of a goal. I'm thinking of starting small, with maybe at least 1 thing a day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page