Do those suck the air out with a vacuum bags work? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they are called space bags? I am packing away some clothes and Rubbermaid containers just seem to bulky. Does one brand work better over another?

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#2 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 02:18 PM

A friend of mine just went on a mission trip to the Ukraine and was taking stuffed animals, medications, etc- SHe vacuum/bagged the stuffed animals so there was room for meds, etc and then did the same thing with her clothes and got all of her clothes for 2 weeks into her carry-on.
I didn't see them, but she did get them at Costco and was really impressed.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#3 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM

We used Spacebags last time we moved. Sorry, we only used that brand. We found them most useful for things that were mostly air anyway -- pillows, comfortors. Things like sweaters and t-shirts didn't suck down much and the bigger bags got really heavy. There were a few bags (we used a bunch) that wouldn't suck down or wouldn't stay sealed. For our stuff in storage, they worked better than garbage bags for clothes, because they were stronger and (if sealed) kept out bugs, water, and smells. We had a mess of storage, and some of the rubbermaids busted as the light ones ended up under heavy ones. So the Spacebags were better there, too. They're hard to stack, though. I tried to reuse a few recently and couldn't find any that still sealed. We may have only unpacked the broken ones, though. Can't remember!

HTH!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#4 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM

My sister uses these, but I'm not as keen on them. The zipper opening part seemed to come open quite easily, and I found that when I wanted to just get out one of two things it sort of destablized the whole bag and then you have to resuck them closed, etc. . . . I guess it would depend on where/how you wanted to store things, though. I think they might be more helpful to put stuff under the bed or in a closet than Rubbermaid totes or similar.
#5 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM

I tried several varieties and they did NOT work for me. FWIW our bedroom wasn't heated and so it got cold in there, so that may have contributed to it, but they were very brittle and came apart at the seams, or the zippers undone. I didn't overstuff them, and used them according to the instructions. They just weren't great quality. But... I guess you could theoretically try a better brand. I don't even remember which ones I used, I must have tried 4-5 different brands and none of them were great...
#6 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Honestly, I personally wouldn't waste your money on them. I think if it's temporary use maybe you could get away with it, but make sure to buy from a place with a really good return policy. From my friends and sister who has tried them apparently the ones that do hold seem to work are only good for the first 1-2 times. She actually bought a pack of 5 and only 2 of them would work the first time!

My sister has been using the new giant ziploc bags (and they had a coupon out a while ago for like $2 off or something) and she says she likes those best for protection from bugs/dirt, etc. And, they're much less expensive though sturdier than a garbage bag.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM

I use their storage totes. I have 3 of them & am planning on buying more, they're great for bedding storage -keeps musty smells out. The totes seem to hold much longer -they're rectangular shape, so they stack nicely.

I would not recommend the hanging storage - the vacuum holds, however the hanger part is flimsy & both of mine failed to hold.
#8 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 12:40 PM

They worked great for me til my cat walked on them. : If they get just the tiniest pin hole in them they are shot. My sister has cats and this happened to her too. She bought more, filled them, sucked the air out. then put them in totes. The cats couldn't get to them, and she used way less totes.
#9 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2can View Post
I use their storage totes. I have 3 of them & am planning on buying more, they're great for bedding storage -keeps musty smells out. The totes seem to hold much longer -they're rectangular shape, so they stack nicely.

I would not recommend the hanging storage - the vacuum holds, however the hanger part is flimsy & both of mine failed to hold.
^^^ This, right here.

The totes are like the ones here.

Two of them hold ALL of my fancy bedding for my king size bed. I do not use my comforter, euro pillows, top pillows in shams, decor pillows, and decor throws all the time. I keep the totes right in the edge of my attic, so they are easily accessible.

They were HELLA expensive, and I have a cat that pukes. Often. :

I usually just use a blanket to cover my bed when I make it up, and only "display" the nice bed covers when I will have company over through out my house.

The totes work. The bags, I ended up getting mad with and tossing. Every one of them got worn out or punctured. The cloth sides for the tote seem to protect the bag, and keep it in a more uniform shape for storage.
#10 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Okay those totes look really cool! I bought some of the bags yesterday but I may have to order a tote

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#11 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 PM

I bought some of the Space Bags brand at the Container Store and had to return a box of three because not one of them would stay sealed, and they were NOT overpacked. The person at the return desk said "Yeah, we get a lot of these back."

Still, I purchased a large assortment box at Costco and had better luck that time around. We're just using them to store DD's baby clothes under a twin bed in her room for the next kid/s if we have a girl, so it's not a huge problem if they unseal. No water, bugs, etc.
#12 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Nope. They wouldn't stay sealed. Waste of money for us.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#13 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Dumb question. The totes - they are reusable? And realistically last for a long time? Asking from a Green perspective.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#14 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Dumb question. The totes - they are reusable? And realistically last for a long time? Asking from a Green perspective.
The vacuum totes? Yes. The two that I have, I got a year ago. Realistically, I wouldn't think they would hold well to DAILY use, but for storage of bulky seasonal items like fluffy blankets, pillows, coats, sleeping bags, and the like.

I think they are well worth it. They hold a LOT.
#15 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

I like those totes!!

We haven't had the greatest luck with the bags. They were had to close and didn't stack well.
My sister used the bags on a camping trip one time to save space in her car. Great idea until they were packing up to leave...and realized there was no way to vacuum the bags in the woods!!!! Ha Ha
#16 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 PM

NONE of ours stayed sealed - I was mad. I spent like $30 on them. On the other hand, putting stuff in Ziploc big bags and sitting on them to get the air out before sealing them all the way worked much better.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#17 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Mine are used for bedding that gets used when we have overnight guests, and also when we switch from summer to winter bedding. So they're used (zipped & unzipped) 6-8x a year. I've had mine for 3 years & have had no problems.

I have a couple wool blankets. mattress pad, set of sheets & a couple thin fleece blankets in each one with a pillow or two (depending on how I fold it). They're nice and heavy once I get them vacuumed down & zip the cover shut. I need to figure out someplace other than the top shelf to store them
#18 of 22 Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM

I them.I am doing the same as you and we will be able to store ten rubbermaids worth under one queen bed!!
you can get them at costco pretty cheap

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#19 of 22 Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 AM

My MIL used them for sleeping bags and stuff like that. We got some for other camping blankets and clothes and so far they seem to work.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#20 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 12:07 AM

I saw this post and had to chime in...I bought 2...one worked, the other never did! And those things are pretty pricy!
#21 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned

you really cant just use a garbage bag?
#22 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledbook View Post
you really cant just use a garbage bag?
For me it's about space. Sure I could use a garbage bag, but think about how much space a garbage bag with a couple wool blankets. mattress pad, set of sheets & a couple thin fleece blankets and a pillow or two would take up. This way it's compacted into a 16x17x9 container. Also, I don't notice as much plastic smell in the bedding or clothes when I use the space totes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page