Tell the truth: right now what condition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is your house?

My living room and "library" are in fine order--the kids brio builder stuff is out on the play table but it is mid-project so that's cool. the office/workstation/schoolroom (formerly known as the dining room) is in end of the day disarray with books stacks, papers not so piled and a cup or two on the table (old coffee, etc)

The kitchen looks awful but 10 minutes will do the trick. Kids gear is all piled by the back door. Two coolers need emptying. so does the dishwasher. I also ought to load the weekend's mostly eaten chicken into the crock-pot for a stock I'll need tomorrow.

Upstairs is fine, except for one bathroom where soaps/toothpaste/diapers and other toiletries I just bought need to be put away. I'm thinking I need to reorder things in there so I'm stalled on getting that stuff away.

Laundry is sorted and put away. A block castle is up but all the blocks not in use have been put away.

Just wondering what a snapshot of other people's nests would show at 10:30 pm on a Monday (or Tuesday).

anyone?

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM

Umm, no kids, so my place probably says neater. Place is in great shape (just moved in about 2 weeks ago). Have a few bins to go through in the closet and need to organize K cabinets better, but it's neat. I've got a few books out but that's it. No dishes in K unwashed - they're in the dishwasher which I've already run for the evening.

lady.gif
#3 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 AM

Kitchen: Spotless, except for a pizza on a bread board waiting for me. The full moon did something to me yesterday and I completely scrubbed the kitchen all day long. I mean, I cleaned places I have never cleaned before! I also cluttered some really hard to let go of stuff. I'm pretty motivated to maintain it at the moment.

Living room: Just the baby toys and bed time story books laying about, I'll get them later.

Bathroom: Picked up, counter clean, toothbrush holder freshly deep cleaned. Back of the toilet is a pit of clutter. Floor is picked up but needs to me mopped. All of the towels are hung and laundry is in the basket. It needs a deep cleaning. Pretty good for us lately.

Bedroom: DH has the bed to himself since I am helping DD adjust to sleeping in her own room by sleeping in there ATM. His sheets are NASTY. He has let laundry baskets, folded blankets, toys, books, clutter pile up on my side. He's stacked boxes in front of my closet making it hard to get I there so I have let a mountain of purses/totes and clean laundry grow in front of them. This room is scary and has been for awhile.

Porch: Very neat and tidy. Swept it yesterday.

Laundry/office. In the middle of heavy laundry. Sorted hampers waiting to go, laundry to be folded from 15 minutes ago. Desk cluttered from DD's projects and the junk I picked up off the floor. A few shopping bags that I am in the process of filling with my secret cluttering. I'm donating things DD has forgotten about or has 15 of. DD is working through her first voluntary clothing clutter. She's really doing a good job with just a tiny bit of help and encouragement from me. I am so proud.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#4 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 AM

Upstairs living room is pretty neat except for my dd's bookbag on the floor and a little dust. I hate dusting though!
Kitchen is picked up and swept, all dishes in the dishwasher which is running right now. Floor needs to be mopped or better yet, scrubbed.
Downstairs family room is picked up and the clean clothes that were down there in baskets waiting to be put away today finally dealt with.
The spare bedroom/computer room is too cluttered for my taste, but not too bad.
My dd's bedroom still looks like something exploded in there even though I asked her to clean it today.
Our bedroom has some clothes on the floor but is pretty neat other than that.
I was home today from work though, so I had more time for cleaning than usual.
#5 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 AM

In worse shape than I like it.

Porch: I reorganized and swept this area real well, which felt great after all the rain and flooding we had Friday. So that's fine.

Kids Room: Probably get this back in shape pretty quickly. They do a fairly good job, but need help with vacuuming, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Living/Dining Room: Needs to be picked up, dusted and vacuumed. Badly.

Kitchen: A mess, I need to unload and then reload my dishwasher, get the counters wiped well and sweep and mop the floor.

Bathroom: A worse mess. Need to pick up all the clothes, need to wash the bathmat something fierce. Then do a basic clean, sweep, mop.

My bedroom: Ugh. *Why* do I use my bedroom as the catch-all room? Seriously, I throw things in there when I am in a hurry and have company coming or something. I need to declutter. That's my mission right now. I want a sactuary!!
#6 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 AM

I could have people come over to visit right now and wouldn't be embarrassed at all with my first floor. Floors are clean, mopped, and/or vacuumed. Toys are put away. Furniture is dusted. The kitchen and bathroom are clean. The laundry room has clothes on the floor but I can shut that door.

Just don't come up to the second floor. It's not horrible, but I have more than a few hampers of clean clothes waiting to be put away. Things are cluttered on my dresser. The bathroom needs to be clean. The desk is messy. DS's room is spotless, but that's about it. The second floor is my project next weekend!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#7 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 AM

Our house is in company-ready condition, which is a good thing since I have a scrapbook day at my house tomorrow 9 am - 2 pm. I didn't do anything special, though. I like to keep our home this way and usually do.

I hosted a Mom's Morning In at our home last Friday 9 am - noon and didn't do anything in between then and now that I wouldn't normally do. Mondays are my day of the week to spend an hour paying attention to whatever needs the most love in our home. Today was straightening and dusting the whole house! I did a little extra for the Mom's Morning, though, maybe 30 minutes of work in the office, which has since been destroyed. LOL (See below.)

I am in the bathroom challenge and have been doing a little "extra" cleaning for that. I have a lengthy list and am doing a little something most days. Today was emptying the medicine cabinet and cabinet under the sink in the powder room; cleaning the cabinet and the items; and then putting everything away. I had intended to declutter, but there wasn't anything to declutter.

DH and I are working on streamlining the family office and removed a piece of furniture over the weekend and brought it downstairs into the living room. A friend who is scrappin' tomorrow wants it, so that works out well. The office is a bit disheveled due to the furniture we removed. The items that were on it are neatly arranged and functional, but obviously not in their permanent spots.

Oh, I do have a basket of clean laundry to put away before I go to bed...towels which go right back up on the towel racks in our master bath.

We have an extra room downstairs that we are in the midst of repurposing (to something unknown right this minute...LOL) and it is currently housing items from all over the house that haven't made it back to their previous spots since our last round of home improvement projects (painting entire interior of house and replacing baseboards throughout bathrooms and common areas of house...just have the 4 "technically bedrooms" rooms to go). As we finish each room, we've been giving away the items that remain unused that cannot be used elsewhere. The room is as neat as this type of use can allow, but is far from model-home worthy! LOL I closed the door last Friday morning, but went in and out so many times for balls and toys, etc for the kids that I left the door open and no one cared. All they noticed was the pretty paint on the walls! (I call it sapphire, but the paint company calls it 'pompei'. It is a well-saturated medium bright blue with a hint of purple.) The door will remain open tomorrow.

Kitchen, all three bathrooms (includes laundry room), master bedroom, DD's bedroom, foyer, hallways, and stairway are all in perfect order and freshly dusted. The living room is freshly dusted and in good order...it just has a piece of furniture in the middle of the room that obviously doesn't belong! LOL All rooms were vacuumed last week and will get done again in rotation this week. The front and backyards / walkways are swept and neat.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#8 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Kitchen, all three bathrooms (includes laundry room), master bedroom, DD's bedroom, foyer, hallways, and stairway are all in perfect order and freshly dusted. The living room is freshly dusted and in good order...it just has a piece of furniture in the middle of the room that obviously doesn't belong! LOLKitchen, all three bathrooms (includes laundry room), master bedroom, DD's bedroom, foyer, hallways, and stairway are all in perfect order and freshly dusted All rooms were vacuumed last week and will get done again in rotation this week. The front and backyards / walkways are swept and neat.
I'm impressed (and a little jealous!). This is what I want my house to be, but I never seem to get eveything clean at the same time.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 AM

My house was CLEAN until about noon today. We came home early from school due to me being sick. I've been sleeping on the couch all day. So my living room is a mess, but shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to clean once I can stand long enough to do so.

My bathroom could use a floor washing, and my closet needs some organizing. There's a few dishes in the sink. Besides the living room, I'm pretty happy with the way my house is right now.
#10 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 AM

Okay, aside from the dust (I really hate dusting) and cobwebs, my house is:

Entries to house: leave a lot to be desired

Kitchen: south wall cabinets are newly scrubbed and dust/cobweb free-- stove is a mess, and north wall needs to be similarly cleaned. Dishes need to be unloaded from dw-- but it's 3 am, and counters are ready for morning rush.

Bathroom-- needs some serious attention, but the cats drive me nuts--dirty footprints the minute I clean it! It's an endless battle with them. Still, it needs to be cleaned. K and bathroom floors need a serious scrub down.

Living room is relatively neat-- DD has gone 2 days with putting everything away as she gets toys out (her only play area is in the living room.)

Office area-- bill paying side of desk is clutter free and organized. Project side is full of unfinished projects

Bedroom- dresser and baby changing area (for arrival in 5 weeks, give or take) need some serious attention to clutter. Closet is terrible, but I can't get in there to do anything about it until these maternity clothes are gone. Plus, I get really cramped in there quickly with a ceiling height of 4 feet on down to 1 foot.

The gist of it is I need to do some serious organizing and cleaning, but that's slow going these days.
#11 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 AM

The kids' rooms are the worst in the house by far, our room and the bathroom is prolly the neatest looking, followed by the living room and the kitchen.
#12 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 AM

The kitchen has a load of dishes ready to go in. Our dining area is fine, great room is fine, kids room is fine. We do have an extra bed we just bought in the guest room which makes it not to easy to get around!

My bedroom is fine, but still probably looks like a college dorm with my bed on the floor (lovely cosleeping arrangement! )

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#13 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I could have people come over to visit right now and wouldn't be embarrassed at all.
Ditto. But my standards are probably not as high as some pp. Not everything is freshly dusted or anything. But the house is relatively clean and neat. The only things that need to be taken care of are: few dishes in sink from this morning (I do these before I make dinner), sweep floors (last done three days ago), and a few recently washed pocket diapers are sitting on DS's dresser that need to be stuffed and put away.

I work fulltime and I'm a student, so I don't have a daily cleaning schedule. I typically take care of things as needed and give the house a good once over every weekend. I also tidy up every evening after DS goes to bed and limit clutter to make my life easier. I'm always impressed by you mama's who have daily cleaning schedules and dust more than once every two weeks !
#14 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the house is clean, but messy with toys. I do need to vacuum the family room rug, last night DD was eating some rice crispies in a bowl on the floor like a dog. The kitchen needs cleaned and I need to do dishes. Like most days, I would be embarrassed if someone came over without calling first.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#15 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM

I've been doing some back corner decluttering so my main living areas are awful right now. Plus we just got back from a camping trip so that stuff still needs to be put away.

My priority right now is to make it so the window guys can do their work in a few weeks.

My DD's closet still looks wonderful thought!
#16 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Living room: Spic n Span
Kitchen: two dishes needing washed
Kids room: disaster! (not my job tho, lol)
Laundry: one load to be put away
Den: Messy as usual
My room: Clean
Bathroom: decent, floor needs mopping
#17 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Kitchen: pretty clean, dishwasher loaded, not cleaned yet... only blender soaking in sink, most food from lunch prep put away. Fridge needs to be cleaned out since veggie CSA arrives today.

Living room: pretty clean except for hubby's newspaper, laptop, and my son's fort and memory cards on the floor

Sunporch/playarea: totally clean and organized except for hubby's side/office

My office: totally clean and organized - yay!!!! except I've got 2 gorgeous Indian pillow cases on the rug that I need to take to get framed. Not even a pile of papers on the desk!

Downstairs bathroom: clean AND perfectly organized

Upstairs bathroom: perfectly organized

Master Bedroom: all my stuff, clean and put away, bed made, not sure if hubby put his clothes away yet, his dresser top is always messy

Son's room: organized and clean, all clothes and toys put away!

Dining room: organized, with just the usual clutter in the corner (baby gates, ironing board, and Thomas the Train tunnel - can't seem to find any other places for those)

All in all, pretty good...
#18 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 02:14 PM

Office- little cluttered, but fine.
Kitchen- pretty good, needs mopping.
LR- clean
DR- cleanish. some junk around, but still fine. Within 10 minutes of clean
Kids rooms- clean
our bedroom- eh. 15 minutes 'til clean.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#19 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 PM

It would probably take 15 minutes to clean my entire house. The worst room belongs to my 4 year old (toy box dumped out).

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#20 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Mine is in it's usual 'fifteen minutes to clean' state. The kids just went down for naps and I'll usually straighten up after I surf/check email. Unless we just got back from vacation or similar, I do my best never to let it get beyond surface clutter and toy scatter.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#21 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM

Kitchen: Probably 15 minutes needed in there to wipe down the stove, load the dishwasher, wipe the counters, sweep and switch over the laundry.

Living/Dining room: In its usual learning day mess. Probably another 15 minutes in there to put books away, tidy up toys and vacuum.

Bathroom: 5 minute wipe down and sweep.

My bedroom: Make bed

13yoDS bedroom: Clean because he never goes in there, he moved in with my 3yo a week ago for some reason.

3yoDS bedroom: Total disaster. My oldest son decided to move in there last week so now the smallest room in the house has the combined mess of both the children in it. At least 30 minutes would need to be spent in there but I don't think it'll happen.

Not too bad I guess. An hour away from spotless but Tuesday is our one day a week that we don't go anywhere until swimming at 5:00 so I don't expect it to be clean. It's laundry day and baking muffins day and lying around naked doing Dinosaur puzzles day (the youngest anyway).
#22 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM

My home (a one bedroom apartment~about 900 sq ft) is in good condition...but, that is only because we are preparing to move by the end of the year and I have been doing a lot of organizing.

*Kitchen-The lunch dishes are still in the sink...clean in about 10 min.

*Dining Room-Baby clothes are stacked on the table because I am in the process of selling some of DD's former duds. Plus, there are some other little piles of things that I am in the process of either selling, consigning or donating.

*Living Room-A few toys and books are about.

*Office-Very good.

*Bedroom-Perfection!

*Bathroom-Almost perfect.

*Patio-Good shape.

*Storage unit (about 2 miles away)-This space is in great shape...these items (mostly furniture) are simply awaiting a home!

My main source of irritation are the little piles of stuff (described above) on the dining room table...I hope to have these things gone by the end of the week!!!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#23 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 PM

We are in the midst of a move (Sat. final move out day) and as such my house is a total and complete disaster. I have boxes and bags that need to be donated, boxes that need to be moved, and trash and and and and...

Yeah. It's a mess. Moving sucks.
#24 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM

My house is clean. I would be fine if someone came over unexpectedly. I'm in week two of following a cleaning plan that I worked out and it's going really well so far. I feel so much calmer to have the home this way.
#25 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM

I am an hour away from show ready. 3 hours away if I had to get it ready with the kids helping. But thats only because we just had a showing and expect 2 more this coming weekend. Normally our house would be in a total state of hectic cluttered mess
#26 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

It's always a mad house here. Always.

Sometimes the bathroom looks nice.

Once in a blue moon the master bedroom looks picture perfect.

We don't even have kids yet. :
#27 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM

My update after a scrapbook day with friends over:

All rooms look great, except the kitchen! LOL Dishes are in the dishwasher, but the ones that need handwashing are stacked on the side of the sink. The table is a disaster with MY scrappin' supplies! ACK! (They took theirs home already, but the whole table was a disaster earlier! LOL) The floor needs vacuuming/mopping now and will get it tomorrow.

There are two rugs outside airdrying in the backyard (on the line).

BTW, the friend who wanted the cabinet took it today, so our living room is back to normal.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#28 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned

I need to sub to this thread and report back in a few days. I will motivate me. :
#29 of 39 Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 PM

The office is a disaster. Everything is sort of shoved in there. The rest of the house is fine.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#30 of 39 Old 09-17-2008, 02:58 PM

Right this second? Hmm. Downstairs is okay; a few things need to be picked up, and the the bathroom counter could definately be wiped down (the kids all brushed teeth unsupervised this morning- I don't have to say more to those of you with kids )

Upstairs is worse. All 3 kids bedrooms are messy, mine isn't too bad. Both upstairs bathrooms are passable, not what I'd want for company, LOL, but they don't gross me out at all (dusty, but toilets and tubs/showers are clean).
There's cat litter to be vacuumed, but because of DH's work schedule, I can't do that during the day today.

Overall, it's much better than a typical day in my home from say, a year ago. But I'd like it to be much better. My housekeeping is a work in progress.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page