the best, most efficient way to pack a house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are moving in 5-6 weeks and have a huge house with lots of stuff to pack and get rid of.

is there a simple plan for doing this? DH is a collector, virgo who is easily overwhelmed and literally takes months for him to pack and move things. it took 3 months for him to sort, organize and purge his video tape collection. he's been working for years on his audio tape collection. (seriously)

i have 2 children, one high needs and i homeschool. (which means just keeping the house clean and cooking a meal is a challenge)

how can i attack this in a logical way that won't overwhelm my DH?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 04:00 AM

When I move (and I have moved a few times), I start first with the closets and things that aren't used daily. Seasonal decorations, boxes of photos, old books, seasonal or outgrown clothing, etc. These places are always were I find most of the things to give away/throw away.

Decorations, knick-knacks, picture frames, movies, books on my bookshelves, toys that aren't frequently played with, etc, are all packed next. 2-3 weeks before I will pack all clothes except what we will need for the next two weeks. I will go and pack the bathrooms except for anything we will use daily.

Last room packed is the kitchen- this is the hardest room for me to pack early because I use almost everything in there pretty regularly.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

kirsten, thanks... this is pretty much what i figured out already. i'm gald i seem to be making sense. and designating areas for us to put things...

A.) packed
B.) donate
C.) giveaway
D.) garbage

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 AM

I don't use any of her other stuff, but flylady has an awesome moving article/plan.

ETA: Here it is!

http://www.flylady.net/pages/Flying_MovingTips.asp
Old 09-24-2008, 05:27 PM

I decluttered before putting the house up, we put stuff in a storage area for the house on the market etc so we already packed up about 20 boxes. Then after we had a contract, I packed at least 2-4 boxes daily. The week before moving, we packed up big items everyday. Once you get going it gets easy. Of course I thought I decluttered and then unpacking afterwards, I was like- why did I save this??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Been awhile since I've been here... you're MOVING? Cool! Far from where you are now? Drop me a line sometime. Been ages since I talked to you!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

we are moving closer to rochester. not ready for the big move somewhere warmer yet.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 PM

You remember me, right?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

yup, it's my keys i can't remember!

PM me if you want, or my email is still the same... though i am like crazy nut case busy and can't promise a prompt response.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 PM

Make yourself a plan of what things could be packed each day. If you can break it up into X number of boxes a day, it will be a lot less overwhelming, and it's nice to be able to check things off your list and look like you accomplished something that day.

LABEL THINGS WELL. When you get to the new place, you will want to know that that random thing you are looking for is exactly in THAT box, and not have to go digging through 10 boxes labeled "bedroom".

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
LABEL THINGS WELL. When you get to the new place, you will want to know that that random thing you are looking for is exactly in THAT box, and not have to go digging through 10 boxes labeled "bedroom".
this made me chuckle. when i moved from florida, i was single (my H left me while we were in florida) and childless. in the top of every box was a sheet of paper inventorying everything in the box. each box was numbered and corresponded to a master list where i had everything listed.

the last time i moved it was with a high needs 5 month old and well... lets just say i had boxes labeled "stuff!" it was a sad sad situation.

OH WELL, as long as it gets where it's going, eh?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM

I start with the stuff I don't really need and then work back to the stuff I need the most. Knick Knacks, books, things like that can go first. I definitely label every box with a general idea of what's in it. Not a detailed list, but an idea. When you get closer to the end, leave out just enough dishes to live on and pack the rest. Then that last day or two you can pack those few things and eat out or order takeout. Another thing that is really important for me is pictures. One of the last things to get packed for me are the pictures and things that hang on the walls. And one of the first boxes to get unpacked in the new house is pictures. To me m pictures means the house is mine, I live there.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"

User Tag List