Mice!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are renting a house for 1 1/2 years (we will be out next spring) and as it is turning to fall mice have been moving in. I really cannot handle it. BTW we are quite messy and now I am forced to clean every inch of the house over and over neurotically.
My question is what is the safest way, greenest way and/or the best way to get rid of these little monsters? They are freaking me out! our beds are on the floor and I can hear them upstairs.
Also do cats help and how would I find a good mouser?
help help help I can hear them taking over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Dab pure peppermint oil(you can buy it online) on cotton balls and place them strategically around the house (pantry, near radiator pipes going into the wall, cupboards, where you find droppings, etc). It's a mouse repellent! Plus your house will smell like a candy cane. Just remember to refresh the cotton balls so that the smell stays fresh. You can also try copper wool at the entrances and exits.

OTOH, you could also get a mouser for the really hardcore ones, but personally I hate getting dead mice for "presents". Blech.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Use traps (live ones). But beyond getting rid on the ones you have you need to prevent any others from taking up residence. Which means you need to find the hole they are using to get in and block it up.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM

mouse traps to get rid of them (peanut butter works better than cheese to lure them, btw) and put every food source in plastic containers... do it sooner rather than later or you'll just get more... keep the areas where they were clean so you can see if they're gone (no more mouse poop)... it's the poop that's a problem since it can carry icky viruses and whatnot... you don't want them around your food source... I tried a bunch of things (lavendar, peppermint, etc.) and they may work to keep them away but will not get rid of them once you have them... I have heard mixed success stories with those thngs that emit a pitch meant to keep them away... but again, it's best if you get rid of them first!

good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 PM

I found the no kill mouse traps really worked,better than DH's sticky traps.I got them at Walmart for $2.Any holes I found I plugged with copper cleaning pads.So far its been 6 months since the last mouse.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM

After 10 years in our house, we are also battling mice. The funny thing is, prior to the mouse invasion, our house had all sorts of entry points (old house). We only had mice after we sealed up all the holes and re-sided the house - go figure.

We have two cats and let me tell you - one is worthless as a mouser, the other is so good, she brings me "presents" of the live critters, into our bedroom, in the middle of the night. "nuff said. (you can tell she is sooo proud of herself!)

I have started keeping the kitchen clean, clean, clean. No crumbs anywhere, ever. That plus traps (I used the old fashion snap kind) has kept us mouse free for the past month.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 10-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Oy, I've been battling the mice all summer. Snap traps got over a dozen for us and our new indoor/outdoor kitty only went for the nest of babies under a bookshelf in the kitchen. : They were in my kitchen some, but most of them were in the den closets deficating all over in the bins of legos, thomas tracks, dress up clothes, etc. I can not even explain to you how much cleaning I've done. And I think they are finally gone, so I will venture back in to get it all finally cleaned. Holy moly, it's been baaaaad. Apparantly everyone in town was hit hard this spring/summer. Weird. Good luck to you.....I feel your pain!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 AM

Just D-Con them. That's what I finally decided to do. I was convinced that I didn't want to use anything toxic and battled them with barn cats, traps, cornmeal mixed with Plaster of Paris, steel wool, you name it, I tried it. Finally, I got sick and tired of finding mouse sh*t everywhere and I bought some D-Con in August. They're gone. It was so worth it.

Mommy to kids

Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 AM

has anyone tried those electric thingies?????? i heard that they work by using ultrasonic waves, or whatnot, and keep rodents and even bugs away. i made the mistake of leaving a bag full of organic flaxseed in my bathroom cupboard (i was going to make a lavender/flax eyemask). before i knew it, there was mouse poop ALL over EVERYTHING. dh put up a trap, and within 1/2 hour he heard it snap. i looked at that mouse, and man, that was *the* fattest, healthiest looking mouse ever! it's poop was red and big from the flax.: really gross, i know. i guess my point is that i don't like traps or poison personally and wish i had one of the ultrasonic-majigs instead.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Two households I know closely tried the electric/sonic things. One said it worked great, the other said it was worthless. Sorry, I guess my comment isn't helpful in the least bit.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM

The peppermint oil helps but you do have to refresh it often. When the mice ate my car I found out about the peppermint oil too late. I started using it in the new car and had to refresh every other day. But my kids spend 2+ hours in the car and eat in there which does not help.

We used to try and live catch the mice in little traps and release them across town. The mice used to have little heart attacks and we only had a 40-50% survival rate. When I found chewed wires with singed wall next to them that was it. My DH took a bucket half full of water. Made a ramp up to the edge and a sea saw type plank with peanut butter at the end. They fell in and drowned. But with risk of fire I had had it.

The big problem with d-con is if you have other animals near by. If they eat the d-con mouse they can die too. Plus the problem of dead mice in the walls. Nasty smell.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
The big problem with d-con is if you have other animals near by. If they eat the d-con mouse they can die too. Plus the problem of dead mice in the walls. Nasty smell.
Secondary poisoning is highly unlikely, I researched it before I used it:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/secondarypoison.htm

Also, the active ingredient in D-Con - Brodifacoum - is an anti-coagulant that makes the mouse very thirsty before it dies, so it leaves looking for water. As long as you don't have any water availabe for the mice in your walls, it's pretty unlikely.

Mommy to kids

Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 AM

We had mice last year in our old house and we had it professionally mouseproofed. You wouldn't do that for a rental, but He used snap traps w/peanut butter to catch the mice left in the house.

The mouseproofing turned out to be basically nailing mesh over any gaps in the exterior of the house that they can get in. Since they often come in attics as they are good climbers, that's where he focused on.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
very thirsty before it dies, so it leaves looking for water. As long as you don't have any water availabe for the mice in your walls, it's pretty unlikely
My parents used D-con a lot... and although you'd think the mice would head elsewhere looking for water the fact is if you have a mouse living in your house they're getting their water from your house (condensation on pipes is a good bet, or any drips in your plumbing, or straight from your sink). So dead mice in the walls, closets, basement, etc isn't uncommon. I can't tell you how often I'd find them as a kid (big, drafty, 100+ year old farm house) and as an adult visiting my parents the house always smelled faintly of decomp. Ick.

DH and I are fighting the good fight versus the mice in our new home. We started using peppermint EO to control ants/fruit flies before the mice arrived so I'm not sure how helpful that has been for us (it did get rid of the ants though!). We've been using the live traps and releasing the mice in an orchard about 12 miles away (though the vets DH work with say that trap/release of mice means the mice are going to get chomped pretty quickly in their "new home" especially this time of year... but there's that whole "circle of life" thing I suppose!). We tried the sonic electric thingies but they didn't seem to affect the mice and the clicking/almost audible tone was driving DH up the wall (he could tell without looking if I had it plugged in as soon as he walked in the door and there was still mouse poo on the stove). After several weeks of live trapping we brought out a few snap traps (we have the "Tomcat" variety that look kind of like a big bag clip). We caught 13 mice with the live traps and 4 with the snap traps and haven't seen any poop for two days now so I have hope!

We recently put up new siding and sealed up all sorts of entry points but one thing we noticed is that dd1 was leaving the front door open a lot... we live rurally and we think that that could have been one of the main points of entry.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Well if you are into the idea of getting a cat to help, I'd suggest a stripy female. I have met more good mouser who were stripy females. Of course, I have no science to back this up and you should only get a cat if you like them.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM

I don't know about getting a pet (a forever committment) specifically to get rid of mice. If you've been wanting a cat anyway, that's different. Another thing to consider about that is that killing mice can make your pet sick. They can get certain kinds of worms from mice too.

We tried the humane ways of getting rid of mice, but none of them worked. I (the big animal lover in the house) got tired of waking up to find mouse-eaten bread and potatoes. We called an exterminator. It's the only thing that worked.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

User Tag List