I can't find a workable cleaning routine - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Janis, I think I'm doing Flylady with a Kristi twist. I'm trying to do the missions and I'm doing the swish and swipe about every other day rather than daily. I've been good about taking care of the kitchen. It seems for me, if the kitchen can be clean and the main floor tidy (kids toys and books put away), I'm so much more motivated and capable of working on other things.

I definitely think that she has some great and really helpful advice. I've been spot cleaning my kitchen floor at night so it looks decent until a real mopping. I used to mop nightly and was completely overwhelmed. Now I just keep thinking what she says- that housework done incorrectly still blesses your family.
#32 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 PM

Crap. I typed a bunch, then lost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
housework done incorrectly still blesses your family.

Summary: I only clean the floor if I spill something on it. We have no carpet. Housekeeper vacuums & mops every 2 weeks. I use a Fuller brush & dustpan in between if motivated. I am barefoot in the house, so I notice if it's disgusting, at least.

Kitchen sink shiny is an amazing revelation. I do it about 95% of the time, and even DH does it (although he doesn't do as thorough a job, but I don't nag him, nor do I try to fix it). I even clean up my mom's sink when we're visiting her! (and she's a fastidious housekeeper)

I spent all Sunday picking up my kids' toys. Everything got put away forcefully - and when I ran out of steam, I bagged up the rest, trash & all, and I've been putting that away 15 minutes at a time. Every night, though, I've forced them to pick up ALL their toys and clothes before bed. It's working, but it's a fight. Tonite, I'll try to do it *before* they are tired. Might be easier

My bathroom is mostly put back together. I've freecycled everything, and it's almost all getting picked up by Saturday! DH's stuff is the only thing left - so he'll have to sort & purge it when he comes home from his business trip. Yay! (2 drawers & 1 cabinet to go .... and the bathroom will be completely cleaned out, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel)

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#33 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
My bathroom is mostly put back together. I've freecycled everything, and it's almost all getting picked up by Saturday! DH's stuff is the only thing left - so he'll have to sort & purge it when he comes home from his business trip. Yay! (2 drawers & 1 cabinet to go .... and the bathroom will be completely cleaned out, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel)

--janis

Woohoo!! I'm going to work on purging stuff from our bathroom tonight, I think. I used to be really good about it, but I noticed that it's getting pretty cluttered in there now.
#34 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 PM

i can't do fly lady. i just can't. doesn't work for me or motivate me and i don't like the system.

but i also can't do any kind of system or routine.

the important thing flylady did was help me realize i don't have to be perfect, and i should quite beating myself up about it, AND i shouldn't avoid a chore because i don't think i have time to do it perfect.

now, i have this awesome mindset that's working really well for me and my self esteem. it doesn't always, or even often keep the whole house clean, but it makes a huge difference.

one day, i clean upstairs. the next day, i clean down stairs. the next i clean upstairs again, and so on.

today was downstairs. i decluttered the desk a little, i straightened the piles of magazines in the bathroom, i washed the kitchen counters and i vaccumed a little in the living room. i did no dishes, no sweeping, no mopping, didn't get to the floor under the dining room table, but today was downstairs day and i made a difference, gash darnit!

sometimes i only do one tiny task. sometimes there's a snowball effect and after picking up some trash, i pick up the trash on the whole floor, or after vaccuming a mess, i just vaccum the whole floor.

i love it, it works for me, i'm healing from some medical issues right now and it's the best i can do!
#35 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4fun View Post
one day, i clean upstairs. the next day, i clean down stairs. the next i clean upstairs again, and so on.

today was downstairs. i decluttered the desk a little, i straightened the piles of magazines in the bathroom, i washed the kitchen counters and i vaccumed a little in the living room. i did no dishes, no sweeping, no mopping, didn't get to the floor under the dining room table, but today was downstairs day and i made a difference, gash darnit!

sometimes i only do one tiny task. sometimes there's a snowball effect and after picking up some trash, i pick up the trash on the whole floor, or after vaccuming a mess, i just vaccum the whole floor.

i love it, it works for me, i'm healing from some medical issues right now and it's the best i can do!
So do you alternate and just do what you feel like/what needs done most? Hmmm...that sounds interesting. Instead of a schedule telling me what to do, just seeing what needs the most love and attention. I like that idea.
#36 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 PM

You're actually not that off-flylady as you might think. The most important thing I've learned over the past 7? years of part-time-flying is that you really have to identify what works for you and adapt to that. And you said "i love it, it works for me" - **that** is what matters!

What I appreciate about her routines is that I have a whole week to think about a zone. Maybe I get around to doing something in that zone on Monday - maybe not til Friday. But, eventually, I do "something". I'm really NOT a routine-person, which is why we Un-school - couldn't handle schedules and stuff. I'm lucky to remember to eat every day, much less at the *same time* every day!

For the past 6 years, I've been a full-time mom and small business owner. I've had to figure out how to keep the house from falling apart in spite of working outside of the home 70 hours a week. My DH has been wonderful, and I certainly couldn't have done it without him. But there are meals to be cooked, laundry to be washed, and somewhere in all of that, things had to be occasionally cleaned and chaos had to be averted. Oh - and we had to have time to **live**. Now that I've sold my business, and I'm pregnant again, I'm starting over. I'm catching up on 6 years of clutter and trying to see past it. As a result, I've also discovered that I really don't like what we have, and we're putting our house on the market in February. We are planning to buy an RV and downsize in a huge way.

I think that I will never be a perfect housekeeper, and if I don't make my house smaller, I'll kill myself trying to be. Well, that digressed into a different ramble than I originally thought! (that's the story of my life: pick up something to put away in another room, notice the bed isn't straight, then find dirty clothes on the floor, so I go to start a load of laundry, then find a name on a piece of paper, so I go to my computer to input it into my contacts, and I get sucked into the web ... and the original item is still in my hand, the washer wasn't started, and so it goes all day long)

My kids are being nutty bees, waiting impatiently for a bedtime tv show with me. Have a great evening y'all!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#37 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
Well, that digressed into a different ramble than I originally thought! (that's the story of my life: pick up something to put away in another room, notice the bed isn't straight, then find dirty clothes on the floor, so I go to start a load of laundry, then find a name on a piece of paper, so I go to my computer to input it into my contacts, and I get sucked into the web ... and the original item is still in my hand, the washer wasn't started, and so it goes all day long)
I hear you on this!!
#38 of 39 Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 PM

Like some of the ladies here, I can't do FL. I tried several times but I'm just not that HER. I can't do the email thing. I agree with some of the tips here regarding doing a little bit while you are in that room. This makes tidying up/cleaning so much better. It used to be that every Sat, dh and I would devout 2 hrs to do a deep and thorough cleaning of the house. But then we realized that we would rather play witht he kids then clean. Who wouldn't? So we cheated and hired a cleaning lady to come do that job on a monthly basis. I still clean and mop/vaccum but it relieves a lot of stress I had from trying to have a spotless house. Our house is not spotless but I know that I can live with it.

Here are some of the things that I do to help maintain an almost spotless home.

1. Wash as I go when preparing meals.
2. Do the dishes as soon as the kids are finished eating. Dh usually eats later and he does his.
3. Fold the laundry while dd is having her quiet time. Sometimes she wants to help so that's always welcomed.
4. Have a basket on every floor for misplaced items. So if there are things that belong upstairs, I just put them in the basket and when I go upstairs I take it up with me. Same goes for the basket that was upstairs.

Mimi
#39 of 39 Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
So do you alternate and just do what you feel like/what needs done most? Hmmm...that sounds interesting. Instead of a schedule telling me what to do, just seeing what needs the most love and attention. I like that idea.

exactly

i know what a clean house looks like, and all the chores that would make that up

so i do what i feel like when i feel like it! and my house is cleaner than ever

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page