Toy storage - Little People sets - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have some toys in a wardrobe and others in one of those cube units (with some of the colored drawers). It works well except I'm stumped about what to do with Little People toys. DD has a house and a farm and a garage and they all really do get played with. The people, cars, etc can go in a cloth drawer but the house, barn and garage are too big to fit in the cube unit we have, or in stacking bins, and it's hard to fit more than 1 in a tote. Does anyone have a solution as to what to do with them? We are seriously lacking closet space so I am not able to rotate the big pieces easily. Closed storage is ideal, we are all allergic to dust. TIA!
#2 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 03:04 PM

i like the under the bed tupperware bins for toy storage. with the lids, you will eliminate the dust right?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#3 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Those under bed boxes are great, but these big pieces are just a little too deep to fit. I've seen other folks just line them up on the floor against the walls, but the baby tries to stand on them, which isn't safe, and I like the floor to be easy to clean. Hmmm...I haven't tried the house and barn open, not folded, will see if that can fit under the bed. The garage definitely seems too deep though, although if it's only the one piece, maybe it can go on top of the cubes. Off to try it...any other suggestions?
#4 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2 girls love their little people stuff and grandma scored big last year at a yard sale. They have a decent size closet though. I actually found a plastic tote/bin that is large enough to fit each the garage, circus, and house. We could not find one that fit the airport but we did have one of the XXL ziplock bags with handles and it fits in there.

We do not use their closet for clothes because they pull everything out of it and their dresser, so the dresser and their hand up clothes are in our master bedroom. The tubs are all stacked in their closet and can be easily swapped. I just have to remind them that the big pieces go into the tubs first.
#5 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 PM

I use a small bookshelf, one of those half-sized cheap ones. It is in ds's toy area and holds his garage, his barn, two bins, and assorted trucks.

ETA: It's this one http://www.zellers.com/stores/shop/p...83040/13683040 except it's white and doesn't have doors - the doors wouldn't work for the garage because the ramp sits past the edge.

Edited again to say I just saw the part about being allergic to dust..I don't really have any solutions for you
#6 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Here's what we did with little people:

The LP are in the green one. It's enough to fit all the people and their school bus and cars. We now have their school on top, though it could fit in a big one.

4 of the boxes have covers and they come from both IKEA and Target.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#7 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I am so inspired by those amazing green walls. I'm going to figure out what size boxes we need, the idea to put the sets in separate boxes is fantastic, it will make cleanup sooooo much easier.

I am not such a fan of the Little People but DD has some sensory processing issues (is generally underreactive) and she responds so much more to the bright colors and sounds than she does to a more plain wooden house or play set. All of the little pieces have been driving me crazy though, so this helps a LOT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page