Getting rid of DIRTY clothes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies! I was really curious what happened to the clothes after they went into the bin. Y'all convinced me I could wash them!

I pulled out my maternity and baby clothes, washed in one load and freecycled them.

DH and my 2 DD's clothes are still here hidden in bags. Those are the worst offenders of the "put it back into circulation" nightmare. I've been trying to wash them and put them right into the "clean" bag. Almost through!! Although I know DH and DD1 have snatched a few pieces out of the dryer before I could get to it! Get them on the next go round, I guess.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the basement NOT being a sea of laundry, sooner than I thought!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#32 of 39 Old 10-12-2008, 05:05 PM

Good luck!

I knew a guy who got crabs from second hand pants. I usually sneak clothes out of the rotation when the wearers of those clothes are sleeping, because sometimes it is hard to say goodbye to pants that are 2 sizes too small.
#33 of 39 Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM

thought I'd come back and add somehting that someone just passed on to me! They keep a box right by their "laundry folding station" (in their case, tucked behind the couch they fold the laundry on) and just chuck outgrown clothes in there as they pop up. When the box is full it get's donated.
#34 of 39 Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angierae View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I was really curious what happened to the clothes after they went into the bin. Y'all convinced me I could wash them!

I pulled out my maternity and baby clothes, washed in one load and freecycled them.

DH and my 2 DD's clothes are still here hidden in bags. Those are the worst offenders of the "put it back into circulation" nightmare. I've been trying to wash them and put them right into the "clean" bag. Almost through!! Although I know DH and DD1 have snatched a few pieces out of the dryer before I could get to it! Get them on the next go round, I guess.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the basement NOT being a sea of laundry, sooner than I thought!
WTG! You are doing great and will be free of these items soon!!! :

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#35 of 39 Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 PM

I'd wash it. But not fold it or sort it. For me, the time-consuming, annoying part of laundry is the folding/hanging putting away.

I'd cram it in the washer, then immediatly dry and put into a garbage bag for donation. Just take a day and keep the cycle going until you're done.
#36 of 39 Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys1girl View Post
I would head to the laundry mat and spend a few hours there but get them all cleaned at once that way and as you are folding you can sort them and then on the way home donate.
This is a very good idea. That way it can all be done at once.
#37 of 39 Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Note on this subject: I was digging around the bins today and came up with menstrual blood encrusted underwear. No joke. The idea that someone would really think it was OK to donate that blows my mind.
EWWWWWWWW.

That is completely disgusting.
#38 of 39 Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Can you find a local recycling place that only needs the fabric and won't care about the cleanliness? After all, if they're only going to rip it apart anyway, they might not care if it's dirty.

Just a thought.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#39 of 39 Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 AM

Does your town have a trash pile week? If it's anything like my town you can put dirty clothes out and people will happily scavenge them. I recently helped my friend clean out her garage and we put a bunch of moldy(!) rotting clothes on the trash pile and people scavenged them within a few hours. I was truly embarrassed, but if your clothes are just regular dirty, people really don't care.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page