Anyone gone back to school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are both college graduates (2001 and 2002). Unfortunately, since we've graduated, we've found that his career (biotech) isn't very stable. Not only is it not very stable, but many of the big "hubs" are in high cost of living areas....places that are definitely not us.

He's been mulling about going back to school. Either a nurse or a physician assistant. It would give him much more job security plus those are the types of jobs you can have anywhere.

Our thoughts are to sell our house (we live in an area that hasn't been affected by the downturn economy, plus our house is on the lower $$ scale and there's just not many of those around here) and move closer to his parents (in Tulsa).

He'd go to school and I....well, I'm not sure what I'd do. Something....that would get us a bit of pay and health insurance.

Any mamas on here go back to school or have a partner that did while you had children? Any go to nursing school?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#2 of 3 Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 AM

I have been going to school off and on for almost 10 years! I joined the military and went to school to be a vet tech, then I got pregnant and left the military, and started back to school because I wanted to be a veterinarian, then I got pregnant again, and then again. That is when I decided to try nursing school. I am only 3 classes away from applying for nursing school. It has taken me longer, because I only go part-time (1 or 2 classes a semester) and I had to take time off in between pregnancies and births. I think furthering your education is great! I am all for adults and moms (or dads) who decide to go back to school to learn something new! It can be done, it just may take some time. Good luck

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#3 of 3 Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM

How about radiology technician or ultrasound technician? I think those are pretty short programs, and he can pursue RN while employed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page