display pictures without frames? Anybody have an idea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to display pictures without having to have a ton of frames everywhere because it makes it such a pain to dust. I am trying to think of a way to make a nice wall display with 10-15 pictures various sizes but I don't have the money to go by matching frames or any frames for that matter. Anyone with a great idea you want to share? I have a large blank wall that would be perfect for pictures!

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#2 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM

A friend of mine did this and it looks fabulous. She got some foam board, pasted the photos to it with spray adhesive and affixed it to the wall with double sided tape. Simple, cheap, easy to change/update.

#3 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM

I once had a single very large frame and made a collage of all of our family photos.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Not for everyone but I've always just put all my photos up with poster putty. I love being able to add or remove things on a whim... of course I've scanned in all my photos or just use print outs so I'm not worried about damage. It's really fun because now we even get guests bringing over photos to put up... and the kids like to add things as well, so every once and awhile I look up and see a new one I didn't even know was there! I hate the commitment of nail holes, can't stand the clutter of knick knacks on shelves, and am often just too lazy to bother with opening up a frame to fit a photo in it so this works best for me.
#5 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM

I have an acrylic frame thing that has 8 + picture places in it (for 4x6) so I can change the pics easily

something like this but spaced a little better.
#6 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 PM

next time i get some $, which should be never, i have some really great pics i'd like to get developed POSTER SIZE.......

i wouldn't frame it, and i like the above foam board idea to make the whole thing a bit sturdier
#7 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 PM

A neat way to do this is to punch a small hole at the top and bottom of each print or in each corner if they are larger photos. Attach a long string or thread of wool to the wall. Do this either by securing it with a nail or attach a series of strings to a dowel or dry bamboo or curtain rod. Then you can use a wool thread or string and weave it through the picture. Tie a small knot at each hole in the picture.There can be several strings hanging down with more than one picture per string. Sometimes framed art is exposed like this in restaurants from chain link. Kind of like a mobile except made to hand on a wall.
#8 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM

i have a fabric-covered bulletin board and i display photos on it by pushing pins in at an angle right next to the edge of the photo, so the pin doesn't poke through the photo itself, but the ball of the pin is holding the photo against the board. i usually put three pins in at offset locations along two or three edges of the photo.

you don't have a to buy a bulletin board to do this. get some large sheets of cardboard for free. furniture stores are great for this because the cardboard is clean and they have huge pieces with no folds or seams in them (like, a mattress box). put two or three layers together and tape them with packaging tape or duct tape. staple on your fabric, and you're good! you could also do the criss-crossed ribbons over the whole thing to tuck photos into, but i prefer a tidier look. smaller bulletin boards will be easier to hang, and you can do a set of three or four if you want a grouping and/or a larger display area, or you could go super huge and just set it on the floor or a side table and let it lean against the wall, without having to mount it at all.
#9 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 AM

you could get wire or fishing line or thread, and some of those neat little tiny office clips (or heck, little paper clips) and string them across the span, do several layers and then space the pictures out however you want in vertical/horizontal groupings. Using the thin wire/thread/line would keep the focus on the photos and make them seem like they're floating.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#10 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmidwifemama View Post
A neat way to do this is to punch a small hole at the top and bottom of each print or in each corner if they are larger photos. Attach a long string or thread of wool to the wall. Do this either by securing it with a nail or attach a series of strings to a dowel or dry bamboo or curtain rod. Then you can use a wool thread or string and weave it through the picture. Tie a small knot at each hole in the picture.There can be several strings hanging down with more than one picture per string. Sometimes framed art is exposed like this in restaurants from chain link. Kind of like a mobile except made to hand on a wall.
I love this idea. I wasn't even looking for something like this, but I might do it. Sounds like it would be a very pretty, inviting, fun and happy thing to have on the wall!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#11 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM

I once made a drooping line of wire in the corner of my room. I bought some tiny colored clothes pins and used those to hold the pictures on. Those little clothes pins are so dang cute.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#12 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 PM

I have paneling and I dont know what they are called, but along the wall every so often are strips of wood coveringwhere the paneling comes togagther and ive found that I can slip snapshots in there. I slide the edge of the picture under the wood and it holds it there pretty tight. Doing this, I have photos all up and downthe wall on both sides of the wooden strip. Ive done this on each side of my dinning room and i like the effect.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page