Drowning in stuffed animals, help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive given away about eight yard sized garbage bags full and still we have piles of them!

What do you do with the ones that you keep? Keep only a handful? HAve a shelf? Toy boxes dont work, they just get dumped out and become the carpet. Any ideas on how to organize the darn things? The ones the kids want to keep?

im afraid to throw out certain sets, like dd's carebears, because she might want them later....oh I need help! I actually wish i had a storage shed for toys, but i realize thats rather ridiculous.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 PM

When things get overwhelming in doll/stuffed animal land, we go around and collect every single doll/animal in the house. I pick out the very special ones and toss them in the toy box, then I let the kids pick out 2 or 3 and we donate the rest.
#3 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM

We have a net that hangs from the ceiling that they go in, and also a couple of tube things from Ikea like this

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90096786
#4 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 PM

have you seen these? Pricey but gosh what a great idea! I haven't bought one though, my dog likes to unstuff every stuffed animal that the kids leave on the floor, so we have our own stuffie control =D

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#5 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM

Oh we had this problem in the past. What I did was put all the ones that dd doesn't seem to like/play with into storage and the rest (about 15) in her room on a bookshelf. Every few weeks, I take a few out to see if she would play with them, and the ones she didn't play with went to charity. So far we are down to 3 large bins.

One of pet peeves are receiving stuff animals as gifts. There's only so many teddy bears a child can have.
#6 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Most of our stuffed animal collection lives under DS' bed, except for the ones that are actually IN his bed and the ones that are in my daughters' beds. The ones that are "out of rotation and currently forgotten about" are under beds; out of sight, not being tripped over, but readily available.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#7 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Ive given away about eight yard sized garbage bags full and still we have piles of them!
I did 4 large garbage bags a few months back. DH is convinced they pro create and multiply while we are all in the other room.

But FWIW, I told my ILs and my parents about this and my Dad now understands no more stuffed animals, since he is usually the guilty party. Also, they are dust and germ magnets which I despise.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Each child has maybe 3 or 4. The rest we gave away, especially the small ones, to someone who was doing a drive to collect them to send overseas to soldiers in Iraq. They give them to the kids.
Maybe post to freecycle with this and see if you get a response?
#9 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 PM

I go through before and after every major holiday and get rid of them. I did this even before DD because for some reason my family likes to send me stuffed animals. I keep special ones or ones DD plays with and then get rid of the rest.
Maybe get the kids together and go through them and pick out their favorites. You can call fire departments or police departments to see if they could use them since often when the call involves children they like to keep some in the trunk of their car for them. Also, churches might be able to use them for nurserys, some hospitals might be able to, womens shelters, CPS. There is a lot of different places that could use them.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#10 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 PM

freecycle
foster, adoption centers - some require new, but not all
animal shelters, rescue

police, fire - maybe, but they do prefer "nicer" or new ones

We have a 3-for-1 rule - if they really really think they 'need' a new stuffed animal, they have to give away 3. Same rule for all types of toys, actually. They also know that mama occasionally just makes them get rid of toys when I'm crabby! And, we'll do a big purge again in November, since birthday & Christmas are in December.

We've owned a resale shop for the past 6 years, so my kids are always exposed to the idea of getting rid of stuff - but they are also constantly exposed to "new" toys. It's tough. And Nana is the most ocd gift-giver I've ever known. I think we've gotten past the stuffed animals as gifts stage, but I say that with caution. Anyway, we only allow a certain volume to be kept - we have one of those nylon barrels with a zipper-lid. It's pretty big, but they always manage to keep it full.

I love love love that Boon Bag idea - I think I may be asking for one or two for Christmas!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#11 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I love the boon bag too! Pricey though! Wonder if I could MAKE one of those??

No underbed storage as there is no bed in dd's room and ours is flat on the floor to allow baby to get on andoff easily..hmmm...though the toddler bed next to it has some room underneath...

we've tried the net things, my kids just pull them down, hm, maybe my kids are the problem and not the stuffed animals, lol!!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#12 of 24 Old 10-18-2008, 01:01 AM

We have one of those nets in the corner of her room to hold the stuffed animals.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#13 of 24 Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 AM

Donate them to an organization like SAFE.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#14 of 24 Old 10-18-2008, 06:34 PM

I second finding an org like SAFE, or finding out if your local police, fire, or paramedic orgs will take them. When my youngest was 4, he had an acute asthma attack and he had to go in an ambulance to the hospital. The big stuffed bunny the paramedics gave him was obviously not brand new (though it was clean and in good condition), and it was a comfort to DS. We allow very few stuffed animals in our house (because of asthma), but that bunny ALWAYS gets a special place in DS's room.

computergeek2.gif

#15 of 24 Old 10-19-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
I love the boon bag too! Pricey though! Wonder if I could MAKE one of those??

No underbed storage as there is no bed in dd's room and ours is flat on the floor to allow baby to get on andoff easily..hmmm...though the toddler bed next to it has some room underneath...

we've tried the net things, my kids just pull them down, hm, maybe my kids are the problem and not the stuffed animals, lol!!
I was thinking that, too. You could use velour and that underwear netting/mesh
#16 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM

My house has a revolving door for stuffed animals. DS doesn't play with them, and I have no tolerance for toys that don't get played with, but dragged out just for the sake of being dragged out.

They go to straight to the thrift store!
#17 of 24 Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 PM

I agree, I think they get together and procreate at night while everyone is sleeping.

It's seems like I'm always getting rid of them.

My oldest DD, she must take after my DH. She enjoys 2.

My second oldest, on the other hand, she's a serial stuffed animal lover LOL. She has a favorite for about 3 months straight, then discovers a new one.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#18 of 24 Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Most of ours went to the fire department. One son still sleeps with a huge stuffed dog but the other two aren't attached to any so only the ones special to me stayed, and they have mostly turned into dog toys.
#19 of 24 Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM

I hate stuffed animals, partly because I (for some odd reason) feel guilty chucking them. I've worked on that, though.

I throw away any stuffed animal that isn't new or just about new. They are germ receptacles, and anything that isn't in good enough condition for my DD, I don't give away (other toys, I don't require new condition for DD! - but stuffed animales get gross).

How many to keep? Depends on how much the kid plays with them. If your child really likes them, then yes, a net makes sense. If not, then chuck them all, or just keep 1 or 2. Mine doesn't really play with them, and I've gotten rid of all but 4 or 5 by now, but I need to cull some more. The remaining ones are probably nice enough to freecycle or something.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#20 of 24 Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM

My dd loves stuffed toys! I am thinking about getting an under-bed storage box that she can pull out.

Here is an example:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd280059
#21 of 24 Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Ugh! The stuffed animal is one of those gifts that bug me. I'm warmed by the sentiment of the giver (it's usually someone who really loves my DDs), but most of them are so unneeded. I bet alot of LO's are like mine and have a few lovies that get all of the attention. The rest are (like a PP mentioned) snacks for the puppy. I've declared that I no longer chase the dog around to retrieve stuffed animals from his jaws. I've also tried to gently mention to my mil that the girls don't need another trip to Build a Bear. (Gently because I feel like I give mil too many prohibitions with diet and tv and my other militant mothering requests )
The other problem is that few people want used stuffies. I have a hard time with the disposable nature of these things. Not to mention the sad fact that they were probably made by someone the same age as DD.
Soapbox dismount....
#22 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I hate stuffed animals, partly because I (for some odd reason) feel guilty chucking them.
I just filled a small shopping bag. I need to get them out of the house and into the hands of someone who needs them asap because I feel so awful about it. I am a complete freak and actually feel bad for the stuffed animals, you know the unloved/misfit toy. I'd keep them if I could but my ds doesn't use them so they are just taking up space. They deserve better.
#23 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
We have a 3-for-1 rule - if they really really think they 'need' a new stuffed animal, they have to give away 3.
I've been trying to do this or a variation, 2 for 1, in my house. I went through trying to do a major initial purge about 6 months ago. Nearly all the stuffed animals are those of my 5 yo dd. Nearly every animal she picked to either give away or send to a rubbermaid tub was her little sisters:. Nearly all the stuffed animals her sister owns can fit at the foot of her crib. You could only imagine the debate we had. In the end we were able to fill two very large rubbermaid tubs that are now in our basement.
#24 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
I've been trying to do this or a variation, 2 for 1, in my house. I went through trying to do a major initial purge about 6 months ago. Nearly all the stuffed animals are those of my 5 yo dd. Nearly every animal she picked to either give away or send to a rubbermaid tub was her little sisters:. Nearly all the stuffed animals her sister owns can fit at the foot of her crib. You could only imagine the debate we had. In the end we were able to fill two very large rubbermaid tubs that are now in our basement.
With 2 dd's, I understand that problem all too well. Fortunately, we've been doing this so long, that they don't argue anymore. Usually, it ends up that they don't "need" the new toy as much as they thought! But in all honesty, I would prefer it if they would trade, since that would decrease the number of toys. on the 3-for-1, they have to trade 3 similar items, of similar sizes at least (or more items overall, if they can't find enough of similar size) (so 3 stuffed animals, 3 plastic animals, 3 dress-up items, 3 shirts, etc). Sometimes, if I think they are being exceptionally good, I'll let them do 1-1 or 2-1.

In addition, we do random purges ... 'ok today you're going to pick out 10 toys you don't want anymore! or, *I* will pick out 10 toys' Lots of whining, but it's most often the result of several days of me yelling about clutter, so they aren't completely caught off-guard.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page