Ack, greedy woman on freecycle. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put up a few listings about 15 mins ago, went away, came back to check emails and within that short period this woman has emailed me like 25 times, going on about getting these stupid scrubs I listed, then thanking me for them, then telling me when she'll be here... Ummm no! She wasn't even close to the first to respond, and yet she won't stop emailing.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#2 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 PM

ugh. Some people!
#3 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Our local freecycle also had some eager people on it. They would reply with "I'll take it" or "I'll pick it up in the morning."
It rubbed me the wrong way, too, so I never gave to those people. I'd always tell them "Sorry, it's already been promised."

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#4 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM

That's wild. I've gotten a few presumptive posts, but never anything that over the top. Guess she really, really wants them!

Unless they're the only one responding, I usually don't go with the presumptive ones, either. In my experience, they're the most likely to no show. Figures, right?
#5 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 PM

We have some people that are dealers on my local freecycle. Some people respond to every single item I put on there... then get annoyed when I don't respond back in a timely fashion! I have been on our local one for years but lately it has been more trouble than it is worth.We don't recieve or ask for much anymore ( this year though recieved two space heaters that we desperately needed!) but are active in sharing what we have. More and more though we have no shows and a couple of times we have had other items go missing.

:
#6 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM

The cool thing about freecycle is that I get to pick who gets the free stuff... and I never give things away to people that are obnoxious about it.

The later but gracious request trumps the rude but rapid reply every time in my world.
#7 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM

I quit my freecycle because it was FILLED with this type of person and they would just respond to nearly everything posted hoping to be the first and then decide later if they wanted it or not.

Rude rude rude. I got no show, after no show, after no show so I just stopped. It really rubbed my karma the wrong way.
#8 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 PM

There's one guy on our freecycle who has responded with an "I"ll take that item" (and just like that, he doesn't even bother to personalize the message for the specific item) for EVERY SINGLE ITEM I've ever posted.

I've never chosen him as the recipient, because of that. To his credit, he does offer things fairly frequently, so he's not just a greedy one.

Ignore her.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#9 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 PM

Is there a moderator for your local freecycle? Maybe you can let them know about this person if they start to harass you about items.

I try and be a little more personal when I ask for a free item on freecycle or craigslist and polite.
#10 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

It just made me laugh, geesh crazy woman. I told her they were taken and now she's *sad* and wants me to let her know if they don't get picked up. Who knew giving away stuff was such a hassle.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#11 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM

That's so frustrating when that happens. It seems like nowadays on my local freecycle, everyone is asking for "big ticket" seemingly unnecessary items. (I might be wrong about the "unnecessary" part though.) I just can't seem to see why you would "need" a king sized water bed. Oh well. I've pretty much given up posting stuff on there to give away, because no matter how many responses of "I'm interested in x thing," no one wants to come get them.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#12 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 AM

We don't have freecycle but we do have a local classifieds that you can list stuff for free... Whenever I list something I seem to get at least one person who is pushy and at least one that seems like they are doing me a favor by allowing me to give them something (one person actually wanted me to drive 45 minutes at 9pm to drop off bottles at her house). I tell them the items taken and leave it at that.. Occasionally I get someone who doesn't take no as an answer and I block their e-mail address.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM

when i respond wanting something, i always say:

i would really love this!, or i really need one of these!

i could pick it up tonight or anytime this week as it works for you

hope to hear back from you!

do you think that's too pushy? as a sahm i DO have the freedom to pick things up immediately most of the time, so i've figured that might make me more likely to be the one picked......

although as far as i can tell, our freecycle has an unspoken rule of first come, first served
#14 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I honestly think some people get freecycle posts sent right to an email address just for freecycle posts and have an auto reply set up so they are one of the first to reply just in case the item is something they could use or want.
#15 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Yeah freecycle can be annoying. We have a woman who posts regularly (and gets banned just as often). She posts some sob story (lies) requesting items and then she turns around and sells them. She gave away a cat once saying her daughter was allergic and that it had shots and was spayed. The cat gave birth at the new owner's house the same week. The giver then posted a month later requesting a kitten for her daughter. Ugh she drives everyone crazy but it's hard to tell it's her until she gives her address.
#16 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM

This is all a surprise to me. I have posted a few times on Freecycle, and had lots of replies, but just gave to the first one...pushy or not. I thought that was the fair thing to do.

My thought on the woman and the scrubs...? Maybe she is a single mother, has a situation where she REALLY needs some scrubs, and just can't afford to buy any. Desperation can make one sound pushy, also. (Just my initial gut reaction to all this)
#17 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
We don't have freecycle but we do have a local classifieds that you can list stuff for free... Whenever I list something I seem to get at least one person who is pushy and at least one that seems like they are doing me a favor by allowing me to give them something (one person actually wanted me to drive 45 minutes at 9pm to drop off bottles at her house)..
Yeah, I SO don't get that "will you deliver?" kind of thing. I had things posted on Craigslist and someone wanted me to bring over a free outdoor plastic playhouse about the same distance (45 minutes) and the tone was also like he/she was doing me a favor.

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#18 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM

I got really turned off of FC recently; I had posted a very nice backpack and got about 20 emails for it. The woman I chose told me that she was a nursing student, and she sounded really sincere about needing it without being obnoxious, kwim? 2 months later, I found another like-new backpack (I was a backpack hoarder for years ) and put it up on FC. The same lady emailed me immediately, with a slightly different story (same email addy, same first name). I wrote back and told her that I hoped the like-new Columbia backpack that I had given her 2 months ago was still useful and that I had already promised the 2nd one to someone else. She didn't respond. I don't like it that people lie to sound needy to get stuff from FC. It makes me wary of giving stuff vs. just donating to Goodwill.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#19 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4fun View Post

do you think that's too pushy? as a sahm i DO have the freedom to pick things up immediately most of the time, so i've figured that might make me more likely to be the one picked......

although as far as i can tell, our freecycle has an unspoken rule of first come, first served
That's what I usually say...I could really use this, I'd love to receive this, etc. along with when I can pick up. I don't think those are rude.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#20 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM

This is one more reason why I quit our local group. Now we just have swaps at our church.
#21 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM

I've had great luck getting stuff, terrible luck giving stuff away. Makes me crazy when people don't show, or show and then decide it's not good enough for them.
#22 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM

I always waited for at least a day before deciding to whom the item will go. First come, first serve is ok, but there are vultures that have nothing to do but sit around and pounce on any offer. This has happened so many times that I don't offer anything anymore.
I am one of those people that posts frequent wanteds. I'm a big believer in getting something second-hand, so if I need something (or even want something), like a jacket for the winter or a pair of boots, or a kid's wagon, I ask for that. I've seen people ask for furnishing for an entire house, plasma tv's, cars, boats, and ipods, though. I understand asking for computers if they're college students, but a lot of people do seem to be unrealistic about what's out there. I try to keep the request reasonable and very specific, and I used to offer as much as I asked for.
#23 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 PM

I'm about to do a big purge and list things on FC, I both dread it and love it. I love giving things away to a new home, but I dread the poorly spelled, obnoxious emails that just say "I want this can you send me 5000 pictures and measurements and blah blah blah".

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#24 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM

No shows aren't really that big of a deal for me. I usually leave the item at the end of the driveway in a bag or plastic tote, so I don't have to actually come to the door or anything.

I honestly don't care if someone sells something they got from me on FC. If that's what they have to do to support themselves/their family, then good for them. If I wanted money for it, I could have sold it myself.
#25 of 28 Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 AM

I filled a wanted post for a karaoke machine. After a week of no showing she picked it up and then proceeded to email me "where did u get this it caught on fire I want to return it to the store." She totally scammed me out of a $50 karaoke machine. I get really fed up with freecycle sometimes...
#26 of 28 Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4fun View Post

I appreciate responses like this when I list something. I have a hard time believing sob stories and I hate the curt responses like, "I want this item."

I specifically state in my offer that the item is for pick-up only and that anyone who is interested should respond with the time/date that they would like to come and get it. I don't give it to anyone who doesn't take the time to do this.

I'm also getting very impatient with no-shows. If you don't show up once, fine, if you don't show up a second time, leave me alone. I also don't like it when someone jumps to respond to an offer, then says they live out of town and can't pick up for two weeks. I'm not offering a layaway service, KWIM?

Geez, I sound like a real Freecycle hardass!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#27 of 28 Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There's a huge difference between "I could really use this bag of size 2X clothes. I can pick up as early as tomorrow morning, or at another time if it's more convenient for you." and a generic "I want this item."

In my years of using Freecycle, I only dropped off an item once. Somebody had posted a "wanted" for size 3X clothes, stating that she'd just had triplets and plus sized stuff fit her better than maternity clothes. I did a quick search and verified that she was, indeed, also asking for clothes for new newborn preemie triplets. I forget the exact details, but I remember getting the vibe that she truly needed these clothes and truly had a hard time coming out to get them, and she was less than a 5 minute drive from my house (plus it was more convenient for me to drop them off than to have them sit in my house longer.)

For everything else, I've had to pick up the items I wanted, and people have picked up the items they wanted from me.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#28 of 28 Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 AM

I prefer to donate my items & get the tax receipt instead of freecycle.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page